Decimate The Weak Review

Lyrics: 9.7
 9.5
 9.9
Decimate The Weak Reviewed by: guitar_freak91, on february 07, 2008

Sound: Winds Of Plague have come a very long way from where they started as a band. With numerous line-up changes over the years, they've finally found ground on which they have their best to date sound. They've improved as musicians and have become incredibly versatile in creating the perfect riff. Going from hardcore to metal in the course of three years is a very hard feat for a band coming from where they have, and they've pulled it off with such grace that it looks like a mere child could do it. With strong Death Metal elements and Keyboards adding to their touch, Winds of Plague is an extremely unique band with and even more unique sound. // 10

Lyrics: The band has matured as a group very much over the past 3 years since their last release, A Cold Day In Hell. Their lyrics incorporate a little bit of the same style as before, such as brotherhood and sticking with your friends, but they also have been influenced by hard years on the road and much more. Jon will be singing about life itself in its fragility while still sounding extremely pissed off. Their style matches the lyrics extremely well and they deserve the recognition. // 10

Overall Impression: Winds of Plague has captured my attention as if they bashed my skull against the pavement, strapped me to a chair, and forced me to watch them. The brutal strung out attack straight from hell is what they give with this album and I would gladly buy it again. There is nothing I don't like about it, and Anthems Of Apocalypse is my favorite song off the entire album. It's a remade version of the original on A Cold Day In Hell, played a little bit slower than the original. My next favorite track is Angels of Debauchery, remade from their 2006 Promotional Sampler EP played a little bit faster than the original. This band does not compare to anything I've ever listened to before, and will be on my mp3 on repeat for months to come. // 10

Decimate The Weak Reviewed by: thegrungyhippie, on may 01, 2008

Sound: Winds of Plague is unlike many other bands. They have successfully fused together different sounds to get a new sound. I'm not one for labels, but to get an idea Winds of Plague is essentially death metal with the synthesizer of black metal and a little bit of Hardcore thrown in. Oh, and they keep it brutal. I love death metal. I love epicness. Winds of Plague makes Intensely epic death metal. I have to say at first listen I didn't think they were that great, but upon listening more I discovered how original/inventive the band is. Definately one of my favorite bands out there today. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't anything new really. They deal mostly with ideas of war, death, and of course apocalypse. What is amazing is the vocal performance Johnny Plague puts forward. Plague uses combinations of Hardcore-esque higher screams and guttural screams from below. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs off Decimate the Weak, in my opinion, are Unbreakable, Anthems of Apocalypse, and One Body Too Many. Unbreakable for it's excellent guitar work, Anthems for it's overall sound, vocals, etc., and One Body Too Many for it's insanely epic keys. The only song I don't like... in fact, I think I hate it, is Reloaded. With lyrics like "What the Fk is up Motherfkrs, 2008 Sht" it's very weak compared to the other songs on the album. The thing I hope for Winds of Plague, is that they will not become too popular that they change their style (Job For A Cowboy). If you like Death Metal and Hardcore and are looking for a band who has some originality in the otherwise blending together genre, I'd say pick this one up. // 10

Decimate The Weak Reviewed by: megadeth45, on march 04, 2009

Sound: I just bought the album the other day on recommendation of a friend and oh my god! They are probably my new favorite death metal band. The second track on the album, Anthems of the Apocalypse, completely blew my mind I was awe struck. This album is not for anyone who doesn't like metal or mind having your ears ring for the next week. Also to quote a critic on the band, "Katana sharp deathcore sure to turn the audience into a rotting pile of corpses." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics really are like a hardcore Chuck Norris style round house kick to the face. The lyrics don't really make sense on a couple songs but on most of them it gives me goosebumps just hearing them. The singer really seems to know what he's doing for this being a relatively new band. Most bands this early on no matter how amazing they may be have semi-amature lyrics to them. // 10

Overall Impression: I would have to compare this album based on amount of good songs and pure awesomeness to Def Lepards Pyromania. The best song on the album is by far Anthems of the Apocalypsethe song just leaves you with goosebumps and you are speechless other than oh my god coming out your mouth. The guitar player is really good no wait he's amazing! I love how this is their first album and they still rock, most bands first album sucks. The only thing I really hate about it are the lyrics on Reloaded. I have one of the 2, 000 copies of the vinyl that were cut on white vinyl so if I lost it or it was stolen I'd be kinda mad. But I would totally buy it again just for the sheer amazingness. // 10

More Winds Of Plague reviews rating latest review