Number[s] Review

woe is me: Number[s]
Released: Aug 31, 2010
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Metalcore, Electronica
Label: Rise, Velocity
The debut album by Woe, Is Me, entitled "Number[s]", can almost be considered as the Post-Hardcore/Experimental anthem of 2010.
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) 18 comments vote for this album:
Number[s] Reviewed by: reaper_x, on november 12, 2010

Sound: The debut album by Woe, Is Me, entitled Number[s], can almost be considered as the Post-Hardcore/Experimental anthem of 2010. Woe, Is Me blasted themselves into the giant Post-Hardcore scene with their explosive cover of Tik Tok (originally by Ke$ha) which featured great clean vocals as well as harsh vocals that would make any metalcore frontman green with envy. On this record, Woe, Is Me showcase a fair amount of synths and keyboard lines, which are sometimes combined with their crazy breakdowns. Don't misunderstand me, they are no Attack Attack! Their sound isn't something amazingly new or fresh, but it's quite hard to explain. If A Day To Remember and Attack Attack! got it on and made babies, Woe, Is Me would be the result. The overall production and atmosphere of Number[s] is great and add a little Jonny Craig to that mix (yes, he does guest vocals) and you get a hell of an entertaining album! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't overly joyful. In fact, they're rather dark lyrics. For some songs, the lyrics they've chosen seem very ambiguous, which allows the listener to attach their own meaning to the song. The lyrics always seem to fit the dark atmosphere that Woe, Is Me are trying to push forward. Take this section from the song [&] Delinquents, for example: I was the king, of kings, I stand for one rule, and one rule for myself, as a man. I will fall and as my son you've watched it all. The lyrics they write are fairly deep, considering this band has been pitted in the metalcore/hardcore scene which often features constantly bland lyrics about death, dying and the dead. The vocals are outstanding on Number[s]. The clean vocals are indeed high-pitched, but not the kind of high-pitched that makes you want to grit your teeth while listening. They're soft and as crazy as it sounds almost calming vocals and if you check out their live videos, the clean vocals are basically spot-on, which is always a good thing. The screams and growls have the ability, as I said previously, to make any metalcore frontman jealous. The transitions from clean to dirty vocals are almost flawless on almost every song. // 9

Overall Impression: In all honesty, this is nothing new. Every now and then you have a band like this that somehow, one way or another outshines all the rest, even though they're all doing the same thing. However, it does not take away from the fact that this is an entertaining record. The most impressive songs would have to be [&] Delinquents', Hell, Or High Water', I' and Desolate [The Conductor] (Ft. Jonny Craig)'. If it was lost or stolen, I'd definitely get myself another copy. If you're a lover of some good post-hardcore, metalcore or even hardcore, you can't go wrong with having a listen to this record as it has everything, from calming breaks to intense breakdowns. Dig in! // 8

More Woe Is Me reviews rating latest review