Kingdom Of Might Review

Woe Of Tyrants: Kingdom Of Might
Released: Jan 6, 2009
Genre: Metal, Death-Metal
Label: Metal Blade Records
Young Ohio band takes their worship for shred guitar and melds it with modern death-metal. Get your picking hand ready for an imminent case of carpal tunnel syndrome.
 8.5
 8.2
 8.8
Kingdom Of Might Reviewed by: UG Team, on january 06, 2009

Sound: The late 90's and early 00's weren't the best times for fans of shred guitar. After it's mid to late 80's heyday the style took a serious hit once bands like Pantera (more about groove than showy solos) and Soundgarden permeated the mainstream, many fast-pickers abandoned the shred. It was harder to find young, over-the-top players sprouting up like they did years back. You'd be hard pressed to discover a new Jason Becker or Paul Gilbert around 1996. Luckily for shred enthusiasts the last few years has found the style come back with a furor. Check out Willie Adler (Lamb of God), Dario Lorina, Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist), and Herman Li (Dragonforce) if you don't believe us. Enter Woe of Tyrants. The young Ohio outfit is all about the turbo guitar runs and their new record is packed to the rafters with them! It seems like around every corner there's one of the two six-stringers going for the throat at maximum speed. Nick Dozer and Matt Kincaid have obviously done their homework. Not only do they expertly navigate around the fretboard with fluid ease, they still manage to make many of the solos and quick counter-melodies extremely catchy. That's a rare feat these days. // 8

Lyrics: Chris Catanzaro possesses the kind of voice that is needed to pierce through the walls of guitars and thunderous drums a band like Woe of Tyrants lays down. He's got more of a shriek than the lower, gruff style many of their counterparts go with. It's something of a miracle that the constant screeching doesn't wreak havoc on his vocal cords to the point of destruction. On Like Jasper and Carnelian he comes off more like a rabid hyena than he does human. Seriously, the guy pushes his vocals through with so much pointed disdain you wonder if he's going to be able to pull the stuff off in a live setting. The busy arrangements don't seem to hamper Catanzaro's vocal performances. Instead the vocalist comes up with an endless series of choppy cadences more than suitable for the material. He's got a firm grip on the choppy rhythms and even the more technical sections on the record don't weaken his assault. The one setback would be his anxiousness. Some of the passages could have been a bit more interesting if the singer pulled back the reigns a bit and let the parts breathe. // 7

Overall Impression: Most of Kingdom of Might sounds like a young band trying to prove a point. The intensity, relentlessness, and chaotic nature of it proves WOT were out for blood. The difference between them and other newer acts in this position is their veteran-like musicianship. Yes, they need to hold back a lot more on future releases but that will come with more experience. This album has to be celebrated for what it is; a shred party seen through the musical scope of a death-metal band. Dozer and Kincaid hold the keys to the kingdom (pun not intended) here and song after song is a testament to their prowess. Tracks like Sounding Jerusalem and Break the Fangs of the Wicked find the guitarists playing in a style that has more in common with the aforementioned golden days of shred-guitar than they do with anything else. Joey Sturgis' (The Devil Wears Prada, Gwen Stacy) production style is a little too modern for my taste. It would have been nice to hear a lot more bottom end but unfortunately this is how most heavy records sound nowadays. All in all, Woe of Tyrants has given us a tasty slab of shred that will surely appeal to the speed freaks reading this. Let's hope the guys in the band can do a guitar lesson for the UG community soon. It would be fantastic to check out Dozer and Kincaid isolated in action. // 7

- Carlos Ramirez (c) 2009

Kingdom Of Might Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 15, 2009

Sound: The sound of the CD is pretty amazing, ranging from the bruteiful solos to the guttural vocals or the drum work. It's all thoroughly skilled and layed out. Guitar: My favorite thing first, the riffs and solos are amazing, some of the best I may have heard. Blazing speed, sexy sweeps, and high technicality. They also have a talent of creating solos that sound good even with extreme fast speeds, so it doesn't sound like they're just trying to shred for the sake of shredding. 'Pearls Before Swines' solos, riffs, everything is just so brilliant, beautiful, and yet, still can maintain a sense of heaviness. I'll be honest though, the sound/tone they use throughout their solos is indeed something I'm very enticed by. It gives a sense of epicness and technicality which fits right into the music. To be honest, some riffs almost made me think of old 8 bit video games in some parts, which I liked too. 'Like Jasper and Carnelian's solo has a jazzy feel even and also reaches a more classical sound and is definitely one of the higher up ranker songs when it comes to guitar work on this album. There are even some fantastic instrumentals on the album. Drums n' Bass: I'm not the best at realizing impressive bass and drum work usually and to be honest, I feel bass is almost unnoticeable on much of the album, or maybe I'm just missing it. The drum work is solid and definitely has impressive times along with impressive timing and definitely is fit in with the music excellently to keep it all going smoothly. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album are pretty impressive and on par with the musicianship. Very intricate and meaningful. The album is a concept album (I think) and from what I've read, has a Christian influence, not that it's straight out Christian, but it tries to suggest that you start to take in everything around you more and just think about some stuff. If I interpret right also, it's also has a concept of how amazing it is to believe that one person, thing, whatever God is, could create everything that is, and was. Even though I myself am not Christian, the lyrics are wonderful and blow away many lyrics people write nowadays. If nothing else, they can even be interpreted in other ways, even as just a whole different story in itself. Vocals: Now, I'm not the biggest fan of most screaming and growling still, but I'm growing into it more though. Now, the vocals on the album are basically ALL screaming, growling, and such variants, no clean vocals. This does disappoint me because a mixture of screams, growls, and clean vocals and really emphasize points amazingly. Nonetheless, the variations of vocals are still impressive. Multiple types of growls and screams are audible throughout and they are also understandable unlike many heavier bands. The only other disappointment is that the mastering on vocals doesn't feel the best, it's balanced right but the quality on them seems kinda iffy sometimes. Nonetheless, nothing that isn't easily look passed. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, it's am amazing album if it's a genre you like. The guitar skill, the vocals, the lyrics, everything is amazing. The variety ranging from tech metal sounding solos to jazz to classic rock. If you wanna give it a preview, I suggest checking out either 'Pearls Before Swine' or 'Like Jasper and Carnelian' as those are two of the best songs all around on the album. The only thing keeping it from a 10 for me is the lack of some clean vocals for more variety. // 9

More Woe Of Tyrants reviews rating latest review