Wolfmother Review

wolfmother: Wolfmother
Release Date: May 2, 2006
Label: Interscope/Modular
Genres: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal, Stoner Metal, Hard Rock
The young Australian power trio Wolfmother stands gleefully on its head with their effusive debut.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.8
 8.8
 8.7
Wolfmother Reviewed by: crazypunkman, on may 19, 2006

Sound: This is my review of the Australian version of Wolfmother's self titled album. This band blew me away, from the first time I heard the song Mind's Eye on the radio. I instantly bought this album. I was not disappointed. I believe that it is safe to say that this is the best Australian rock debut album since The Lving End. The album mixes powerhouse Black Sabbath style guitar, blistering drums and amazing keyboard that doesn't lack long kick-ass solos such as on White Unicorn, Woman and Mind's Eye. This is coming from a man who hates keyboard). The members of Wolfmother (Myles Heskett, Chris Ross and Andrew Stockdale) are all great at what they do. // 10

Lyrics: The vocal and lyrical work is perfect. Some have complained that Andrew Stockdale borrows too heavily from Sabbath and Zepplin. What he actually does is adds elements of each to his own style for greater effect and it works wonders for him. They fit perfectly with mystical songs such as Colossal, Joker and the Theif and Tales From The Forest Of The Gnomes (which has ridiculously been left off the US and UK versions). Andrew Stockdale is a genius. // 10

Overall Impression: This album smashes all other new rock bands of the face of the planet. It is creative, magical and amazing. Few albums could compete with the great songs on this, including Woman, Mind's Eye, Pyramid and many others. I love everything about this album and if it were stolen I would buy another copy and then find and beat up the guy who took Wolfmother away from me. // 10

Wolfmother Reviewed by: frusciante_50, on november 26, 2007

Sound: Wolfmother. What is all the hype about? After actually listening to the entire album, I was amazed to see so many gleaming reviews. After a few tracks, it is clear to see that these Aussie rockers are influenced by the greats. Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath spring to mind, but there is something missing. Wolfmother simply do not have the character, or the fire of the above bands. The album stays strictly in the classic rock genre, with generic power chord riff after generic power chord riff. I have nothing against bands that imitate the big guns, but it is clear that Wolfmother are punching above their weight, in a musical sense. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics, to me, sound as if they are the scribblings of a dreamer, with a large supply of marijuana. The lyrics often tell of adventures, but go nowhere. They are a poor attempt at epic, and become quite irritating towards the end. One plus point of this album is the vocal performance of Andrew Stockdale. His voice is fairly similar to that of Robert Plant, if you take away the operatic side from the Led Zeppelin frontman. His voice definetly suits the genre of music that is displayed on this record. // 5

Overall Impression: After listening to an album by Led Zeppelin or Sabbath, Wolfmother simply do not compare. I do not hate every song on the album, though. Individually, I enjoy listening to White Unicorn, Woman, Joker And The Thief, and Love Train. But this album is full of songs that are like the tracks I just mentioned, but without the life. Too much of the album is filler, with empty verses, and uninspiring choruses. This means that I have switched off, mentally, by the time that the good tracks come around. Flat, lifeless tracks like Dimension drag the album down. If the album were stolen, I would not be particularly downhearted. Honestly I would be happy that someone had taken it off my hands. If you enjoy stoner rock, with a hint of classic rock, please choose the magnificent Queens Of The Stone Age, not Wolfmother. // 4

Wolfmother Reviewed by: GenreConfused, on may 20, 2006

Sound: Any band that starts off a song (Dimension) with such a primal Plant-style scream catches my attention. Wolfmother wears their classic rock/hard rock influences proudly on their collective sleeves. Their music is a modern day mixture of Led Zep and Sabbath. Although there is no technically mind-boggling solos like in either of these great classic bands, WolfMother brings the rock through solid rhythm guitar and some fun keyboard solos. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics have never been strong in the Classic Hard Rock genre. Wolfmother keeps up this trend by using rhytmically fitting, simple rock lyrics. The lyrics are nothing fantastic, but they don't detract from the music in any way. And come on people, no one thinks Plant is singing anything great when he's singing "shake for me girl, I wanna be your backdoor man, hey ho hey ho hey ho", but it's the feel and the energy conveyed that matter. Wolfmother does a good job bringing the same energy. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a pretty good album when compared to the modern junk that is produced these days, but it can't compare to the classics. If you already have quite an extensive collection of Zep and Sabbath, you could certainly do worse than buying a Wolfmother album. If you don't have a good collection of the heroes of hard rock, however, buy Zep and Sabbath and it'll be a better purchase. Overall Wolfmother's an enjoyable listen, especially: Love Train, Dimension, and Woman. // 8

Wolfmother Reviewed by: thecteam123, on july 13, 2006

Sound: I think that the sound of the album was perfect. They sound, to me, like Led Zeppelin meets Black Sabbath meets The White Stripes. The songs all have that great classic sound to it. They use some simple scales and power chords and they make them sound amazing. Their songs sort of wore on me easily, but that's beacause I listened to the CD so much haha. Amazing sound, tone, and instrument usage. Also, the singers voice is just incredible, a very high tone and it fits perfectly. The last thing I like is how the bassist adds in keyboard solos and fill-ins. Nice stuff. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very psychodelic. Reminds me of alot of classic rock. It takes some reading because you can't hear everything he says all of the time, but none the less, good writing. // 9

Overall Impression: I think Wolfmother is exactly what music needed these days. We are stuck in an age of rap and emo bands. I respect both of their styles but think they are hugely overrated. Wolfmothers classic sound brings back the good days and I thank god for these guys haha. They came at a perfect time and I think if you like the bands I mentioned at the top, you should absolutely buy this CD. Wolfmother was an incredible CD. // 9

Wolfmother Reviewed by: bonzo_lives, on july 13, 2006

Sound: Nothing overly original about the bands sound as a whole. Very '70s rock with some very obvious influences. For example the cromatic-ish riff in Dimension is very Black Sabbath both in style and the tone used. The "solo" of woman also uses a very Deep Purple-esque organ sound. The production side however is, in my opinion, brilliant all the instuments are clear while still having a live feel to the songs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album range from the brilliant do the down right ridiculous. An example of the ridiculous "Woman, you know you, woman, you gotta be, woman," from "Woman" suprisingly. While the brilliant being "Rainbows tinted with gold, All the stories we've been told, Still her love is yours to behold, Nothing's quite what it seems in the City of Dreams" from the Zeppelin-esque "Where Eagles Have Been". Andrew Stockdales vocal performance is absolutely brilliant but at times its is unclear what he is saying. Again the vocal style is '60s/'70s rock but he has not stolen one particular style, or at least not one that I'm familiar with. // 7

Overall Impression: There is no band around now that I could compare them to. But if your a '70s rock fan then none of this will sound unfamiliar to you however it should interest you as it is a solid rock album with no bad tracks really (I don't skip any). If some one stole this album from me I wud b deeply unhappy. I would definate purchase the new major label release with the extra track and completely different song order. On the whole a good album even if it is not trying to be completely new just a band doing what they enjoy and you can tell. // 8

Wolfmother Reviewed by: Dragon Master, on august 11, 2008

Sound: The recent news that Wolfmother's bassist and drummer quit has made headlines, this week. A band that was known for it's alternative take on proto metal pioneered by Soundgarden has recently ended. The band was known as Wolfmother and was a fresh take on an otherwise timeless art. In the end, Wolfmother did not help to increase it's fan base by following up with another album, immediately. It has been two years since their massive debut was released and their ultimate mark on music may be that it will become the band time forgot. Thus far, it's greatest accomplishment can be seen in the retro metal revival movement, as bands like Black Mountain, the Parlor Mob, and Priestess have become popular. Even Thom Yorke of Radiohead is a fan of Wolfmother and wrote a song from In Rainbows called "Bodysnatchers", drawing upon Wolfmother as an influence. What Wolfmother accomplishes is great musicianship, sans guitar work. The guitar work is nothing like the legendary work of Ritchie Blackmore and Jimmy Page, as power chords have great emphasis, in this album. However, the best one will see is the beginning of "Joker and the Thief", which is similar to Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" riff. The organ work does recall Deep Purple, at times. For example, in the bridge of "Mind's Eye", the organ bridge is amazing and changes the mood completely. What Wolfmother could benefit from is definitely proper arrangement. At times, their music could be interpreted as impatient. For example, "Colossal" is perfect, but it starts to speed up and leave the grinding Sabbath riff into a quicker pace. This band does not let the music soak in and there are very few solos. However, there is a certain simplicity to the music that should be noticed. In Wolfmother's finer moments, the music is excellent and the music perfectly resembles Led Zeppelin. Tracks such as "White Unicorn", "Woman", "Love Train", "Vagabond", and a few others resemble Led Zeppelin at their finest. Andrew Stockdale keeps his Plant/Osbourne vocals perfect for each track. What Wolfmother is compared to is fellow stoner metal band, the Queens of the Stone Age. While not having anything as memorable, Wolfmother does have parallels. Otherwise, Wolfmother is almost like the White Stripes and Queens of the Stone Age, with fewer memorable moments. However, this is a memorable enough CD. Even Led Zeppelin has acknowledged their music, as Wolfmother inducted Led Zeppelin into the UK Music Hall of Fame with an excellent cover of "Communication Breakdown" that can be viewed on Youtube(One of their few guitar solos). If anything, this one CD may leave one impact- revival of interest in Led Zeppelin. If Stockdale cannot find new musicians, this may be the "Nevermind the Bollocks" of their generation, in the sense that this may be their only CD. There are a few live songs that leaked around online, however. "Monolith", "Inside the Mountain", "Midnight Lover", "the Violence of the Sun", and a few songs presumably from their new album have surfaced. This may leave hope, but the fact that Wolfmother is postponed as a musical project is saddening for all fans. If this CD does not surface, this may be the end of Wolfmother. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are highly questionable, at times. In fact, some seem intelligently written. However, the lyrics are nothing like what Led Zeppelin wrote. Led Zeppelin were much more educated in the muse of Tolkien's literature and Scottish works. Led Zeppelin drew upon different sources of information. Unlike Led Zeppelin, Wolfmother makes a point to make completely nonsensical lyrics. Some of them, "Vagabond", "Love Train", "White Unicorn", and "Woman", give mixed feelings. Lyrically, the songs, "Tales", "Witchcraft", "Apple Tree", and a few others do not shine. Andrew Stockdale does not tell a story with too many of the songs, like Robert Plant did. However, he does present these songs with very great vocal work. He has roughly the same range as Robert Plant and has a snarl like Ozzy Osbourne. What makes this all the more interesting is that the song "Love Train" actually makes it quite clear what he's singing about. "Vagabond" actually presents a sense of connection with the listener, telling a tale about someone who lives free and the lyrics fit perfectly with the music, in this case. "Dimension" is a bluesy song that recalls Led Zeppelin to an extent. It shows the devotion Wolfmother has to classic rock with a lyrical name check of Jimi Hendrix- "Purple hazes in the sky/See the angels wicked eye." Wolfmother has an absolute aim- to revive interest in classic rock. "Woman" is almost a song that could be considered the ultimate Led Zeppelin tribute. Whitesnake never managed a more successful lyrical homage to Led Zeppelin than this. Recalling the debut of Led Zeppelin, this song deserves it's fame, because it has the soul of Plant woven in. "Love Train" could be considered as similar to "Sympathy For The Devil", but it shines, lyrically. Otherwise, the most perfect moments of Wolfmother can be marred by poor songwriting. Wolfmother has some maturing to do. It also has musical direction to focus on. // 7

Overall Impression: Wolfmother is an excellent debut for a band that had it's moment in the stars. Having accomplished so much in such a short time, these musicians made rock history. Wolfmother could benefit most from connecting with the audience. While they do have amazing songs, they do not let it all soak in. They do resemble a Generation Y version of Led Zeppelin, but they do not have that element Soundgarden had of mixing a Zeppelin sound with captivating lyrics. However, the songs are catchy, at times. They all have a different flavor, but they do not have the element Led Zeppelin had. Led Zeppelin were able to pull off perfect songs back-to-back, without hesitation. Led Zeppelin was the album-essential band that you just had to buy the albums to understand. However, the music of Wolfmother is definitely greatest hits worthy. What Wolfmother will be remembered for is a band that did not follow up their album with a second one in time. Eventually, Wolfmother would fail to impress many, because it did not follow up. Wolfmother's most excellent moments are alt-rock classics that could be listened to on the radio without becoming boring. However, Wolfmother has left more of an image that is still very much alive, the revival of classic rock. At it's bare essentials, Wolfmother has a desperate side. Wolfmother takes that wrenching simplicity that the White Stripes has, as well as the music of Led Zeppelin. However, their image can precede them, at times. What fellow rockers Jet pull off can be music that relates to the audience. However, Wolfmother doesn't have that element. If anything, Wolfmother needs to mature. If it can be revived. Can Wolfmother pull through, or, will Wolfmother be the band time forgot? // 8

Wolfmother Reviewed by: redstapler1228, on may 29, 2006

Sound: As soon as I bought this album off of iTunes, without even listening to it, I knew I was going to love it. And wow, was I right. This album easily expresses Wolfmother's inspiration and roots, which include The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and much more. I have a feeling that Wolmother might not be recognized by many people today. But even with this, their sound is of no other band today. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are one of a kind. In most cases, they seem to come off as Psychedelic. The lyrics give you the type of feeling that everything around you is calm, which is unusual due to the heavy guitar riffs. The singer is the only singer in my opinion that sounds like Robert Plant. There is no doubt that this man has a great singing voice. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is great. If you're into classic rock bands such as Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Floyd. I would, without a doubt, purchases this album. You will not be disappointed. It is certainly not the best album in the world (i.e. Pink Floyd: The Wall) but, it is still a great album. The things that did catch my attention in a negative way was the lack of guitar solos and that there was no "fully" acoustic song. These guys are talented, and a few more guitar solos would have shown that off. The most impressive thing on this album, is probably the success Wolfmother had on bringing back true rock. If it were stolen I would just burn the songs to a blank CD from iTunes again. // 9

Wolfmother Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on june 20, 2006

Sound: Wolfmother is a modern band with a familiar sound. A touch of Sabbath, a dash of Zeppelin (minus Jimmy Page) and a sprinkle of White Stripes gets you Wolfmother. Although similar to all of these bands, they are completely unique. The vocals are raspy and loud, much like Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin. The guitars are thick and heavy, comparable to that of Black Sabbath's stem of guitarists. Finally, the drums are powerful and pulsating, such as Meg White from the White Stripes, with a little more agility. This combination of bands creates a band unlike no other, Wolfmother. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are scattered and seem to have no correlation. Such lyrics similar to Wolfmother's are from the band's of the ninetys, most noteably, Nirvana. Through the album, the lyrics and music go wonderful together, the mood easily portrayed and held throughout the necessary time in the song. Wolfmother's vocalist has a similar voice to Robert Plant's but uses his voice in many more ranges compared to Robert's. // 9

Overall Impression: This year has undoubtibly one of the best years for music ever. I purchased The Raconteurs' first release "Broken Boy Soldiers". Wolfmother has a much more edgier and hard rock feel overall, while THe Raconteurs have a much softer rock approach. Both of these CDs are spectacular, Wolfmother keeping me slightly more interested than The Raconteurs. From Wolfmother's self-titled release, the most impressive songs to me are "Dimension", "White Unicorn", "Where Eagles Have Been", and the radio-friendly "Woman". This set of songs contrast in so many ways which are exactly why they are impressive. The simple contrast of the songs is a wonderful addition to an already superb album. "Where Eagles Have Been" has a Beatles-like feel at the intro, while "Dimension" has the edgy, hard rock, electronica feel for example. I would totally get this album again if it were to become lost or stolen. I may just cry if that were to happen. As an aside, the artwork within the album is simply gorgeous. // 10

Wolfmother Reviewed by: zach19, on july 11, 2006

Sound: This band's sound is probably the most powerful and heavy, that has come out in a very long time. I would definately say you can hear Zepellin and Sabbath in their music. Even though they aren't musically "technical", they bring an extremely raw sound that just hits you in the chest. If you are a fan of rock, I definately reccomend you to buy their album. I highly reccomend this heavy riff rock band. It's also a really sweet thing to hear a B3 organ in this music. It gives it a really big Deep Purple element. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are very "fantasy" based. But it isn't really a bad thing. It's very Zeppelin type writing. The music fits the lyrics because they are psychadelic riffs and lyrics. A good voice to. Andrew Stockdale is the singers name, and he has a high pitched voice, which is a really refreshing sound. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the best rock album inthe last 10 years. It's really bringing back the dry distorted sound. The most impressive songs on the album are 1.Woman 2.Vagabond 3. Joker and the thief 4. White Unicorn. I don't think there is a single bad song on this album. Some are just better than others. I love the overall sound. I would totally buy it again if I lost the CD. // 10

Wolfmother Reviewed by: rapxeon, on july 18, 2006

Sound: The sound of this particular self released album is amazing, the overall distinct Led Zeppelin/Sabbath sound during Woman and Joker And The Thief all give off a distinct sound to their image. The innovation for this CD is a variety of some acoustic elements and some heavy rock for those rockers looking for a good break from the emo bands. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are all excellent on the album, Andrew Stockdale can really sing well on the album and during live shows. His vocal talent on 'Woman' really displays on his ability to sing with excellence. His voice is a good talent for a band looking towards a rock and roll future. I say Wolfmother will be the Sabbath/Zeppelin of modern day. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is a excellent album for any rock and roll fan, the band has really pulled of some amazing guitar riffs and vocal dispalys meanwhile still being able to push the envelope with their own style, being one a kind in today's music of punk and hip-hop. The 2 Most impressive songs I would have to say are 'Woman' (track 3) and 'Joker And The Theif' (track 7). The opening riff of Joker and the Thief really catches the ear. I love the sense of being with the music of the '70s all over again, if this CD were stolen or lost, I would definately buy or burn a new copy. // 9

Wolfmother Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 19, 2006

Sound: Great Zep-style riffs, linked together by simple but effective chord sequences. The drumming is also effective, with some almost primal rolls and a shift away from the simple rock beats many modern drummers use in the post-bonham, baker and moon music industry. The keyboard didn't stand out, I was not even aware at first listening there was a keyboard player. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are poor, and mainly rhyme-based, which means the band obviously have no real point to get across. They do not add anything to the music, so the singer may as well be humming. The singing is good, but a little high-pitched for my taste. I would prefer a standalone singer to a guitarist-singer, so the guitarist can focus on the important part of playing. // 7

Overall Impression: I like my classic rock, and this is a nice break from the indie/emo modern rock bands. My favourite tracks are Dimension and Witchcraft, which both have crafty riffs, effective in their simplicity. I do not like Apple Tree, as it's lyrics are just preposterous. If I lost it, I would probably buy it again, but not necessarily in a hurry. // 8

Wolfmother Reviewed by: aenimafist, on may 26, 2007

Sound: Although Wolfmother are a modern band, I very much like the old Sabbathy sound they use. I'm reaaly starting to get into stoner metal and Wolfmother is maybe the ideal band to start out with. Andrew Stockdale has a voice that sounds like Robert Plant but can't go quite as high. He has a real cool fuzz sound from whatever it is coming from. I like the fact that the bassist also playes the bass part on keyboard too. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics I think are phenominal and I don't see any possible way there wouldn't be a hidden meaning in there somewhere because of the interesting titles and such. Andrew's voice is well suited for these lyrics because you definately couldn't death metal these words. No way Jose! No offense to anyone but singers like Corey Taylor, David Draiman, or Johnathan Davis could not sing this convincingly at all. Andrew is a unique young fellow. // 10

Overall Impression: The album as a whole does not get as much respect as it should in my opinion. All Music Guide gave it only three stars and I would easily give it a four and a half. The best songs by far are Dimension, Woman, Joker and the Thief, and I like Apple Tree. Joker And The Thief in my opinion is the best song on the album because it has a real cool intro and the lyrics are quite interesting to read plus the delivery style of the instruments and singing is just great! // 10

Wolfmother Reviewed by: TJM2482, on december 08, 2007

Sound: The sound of Wolfmother is reminiscent of older classic rock bands, such as Sabbath, Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, ect. It's a good sound, pretty catchy stuff. I don't really know of any concept for this album. This really seems like one of those throwback bands that finally made it. Not only is it a classic rock throwback sound, but it also has parts of today's modern rock to balance it out. Big chords, catchy beats, and the vocals of Andrew Stockdale all accompany each other for one amazing album. // 10

Lyrics: Stockdale is a solid singer, compared to modern rock he's pretty awesome. Not all of the lyrics really make any sense, but if you hear some of the odd sounds and themes these guys come up with, you really can't be surprised that they confuse the hell out of you. The lyrics are pretty decent aside from that, and his voice is great for the type of music they play. If you can get past the sometimes illogical lyrics, you'll love it. // 9

Overall Impression: A pretty awesome album. I really can't point out one bad track. What's impressive about this album is the different styles and types of songs on the album. You have upbeat pop-rock songs like Love Train, straight classic rock sounding tracks like Dimension, modern rock songs like Woman, and a few acoustic songs as well. Very well rounded. The only thing I hate is that we have to wait for another album! If I lost it completely, I would definitely pick this up again. // 10

Wolfmother Reviewed by: gibson_rules_99, on march 24, 2008

Sound: If you've seen the commercial for this album, it describes Wolfmother's sound as "Led Zeppelin meets the White Stripes". Accurate as this description may be, it only scratches the surface of Wolfmother's unique sound. In interviews, band members have mentioned the different styles of music each one listens to and the diversity is apparent throughout their only full-length album to date. Their style is often described as "retro", which is also true, however, lead singer Andrew Stockdale has attributed this to the fact that as soon as people hear a tube amp with analog pedals, they automatically think "retro". A better description of their sound would be "riff rock". Loud, distorted guitar and smooth, well written licks with dashes of accoustic guitar or keyboards. Andrew Stockdale's vocals work perfectly with their musical style and his lyrics almost literally take the listener on a journey through his fantastical narratives. His solos are melodic, focusing more on pleasing the ear than on blazing speed. // 9

Lyrics: Lead singer/guitarist Andrew Stockdale's lyrics fit in perfectly with their respective songs. Most are fantasy based (Witchcraft, White Unicorn), which most vocalists would raise an eyebrow at, yet Stockdale pulls it off. His voice and skills as a vocalist complement his lyrics and playing style. In fact, you could almost describe his singing as riff-based as well, making the band easy to play or sing along to. // 9

Overall Impression: Wolfmother is one of those albums I could sit and listen to thousands of times and still enjoy. Every song takes on a new aspect of their sound, while staying with their distinctive style. They are definitely the best "retro/hard rock" band active today. The best songs on the album were hard to pick seeing as I liked almost all of them, but I would have to say the best 4 are: White Unicorn, Joker & The Thief, Tales, and Love Train. The only song I didn't like was Apple Tree, which just didn't click for me. If this album were stolen/lost I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I can't wait to hear more Wolfmother and am eagerly awaiting another release. // 10

Wolfmother Reviewed by: randomhero93, on august 12, 2008

Sound: They might not have been around for a long time, but Wolfmother seems to have come out of the '80s with a great bite of modern music. Their sound is so different, it's almost impossible to say they copied off of anyone's style. They might've taken the sound from other bands, but don't we all in one way? Wolfmother's modern sound mixed with their inspired style is definately a wonderful combonation these days. It's just what we need, a really distinct sound with a lot of diversity. // 9

Lyrics: I'm not going to lie, the singer's voice is very squirrely. Almost annoying if the lyrics he put to the music didn't fit, but it does fit, so it's all good. The songs are very mythical with a lot of make-believe topics, but who said it isn't interesting. The way Stockdale (vocalist/guitarist) writes and sings these lyrics makes you want to listen. Stockdale's a good vocalist, but he might be a little better is his voice wasn't so high pitched. // 8

Overall Impression: The only comparisons to other artists are the bands that Wolfmother were influenced by. Even then, they're uncomparable. Their song, 'Joker And The Thief' is definately one of their more highligted songs. The phasing sound during the intro and the (pre)chorus' is definately interesting and a great tone. Pretty much the entire album is a different sound that most people aren't used to. It show's that they're brave by going the extra distance to get the sounds that many people haven't heard or tried to get out of a guitar or a keyboard. I love every track on this album and I don't hate anything about it. If I had the actual CD, and I lost it, I'd get it again, but I have it on iTunes, so I don't need to worry too much. // 10

Wolfmother Reviewed by: SaintsofNowhere, on august 14, 2008

Sound: The sound of Wolfmother is a refreshing sound to hear nowadays. They, of course, resemble the sound of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, but they are not rip-offs. They also have their own special sound unlike anything I've listened to before. The sound on this CD is superb. The only thing better is Wolfmother live! Just cut out the onstage energy and sideways keyboard solos, and you get this album! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics at first annoyed me. I didn't understand them. But, back then, I thought all lyrics had to tell a story. These words might not be telling you a long tale of a boy who goes to the store and nevemind. The point is, the lyrics are actually very beautiful and fit the music well. Andrew Stockdale, in my opinion, is the best vocalist out there right now. My only complaint, however, is the repetitive use of some words. Two words like this are "Purple Haze" and, the most overused one of all, "Yeah!" But the music is so great it's hard to pick it out. It's still great, nonetheless. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is overly compared with other artists. Many think that this album is a rip-off of Zeppelin. I can assure you it's not. They have their own sound, which is great! They would have brought back good ol' 70's rock 'n' roll if they had lasted. So I believe this album will be a legend. An unknown band with one album. Many of the songs are great, and famous. five or six have been used on commercials or video games. And the fact is, each time I listen to their songs, I like them more than I did before. They grow on me! Like Mind's Eye. Great song, but I used to hate it for being so slow. Then, I actually decided to pay attention and listen to it all the way through. It has the best vocals on the whole album. It is now one of my favorite songs. The same goes for Love Train and Apple Tree. A list of five of their key songs on the album (all are great though): Woman, Joker And The Theif, Dimension, White Unicorn, Mind's Eye. If it were stolen/lost, however, I would not buy it again. But only because I have it on my iPod! However, if it means that if it was stolen I would never be able to listen to it again, I'd buy one as quickly as possible! This album is amazing. I love Wolfmother because of this album, and I think you will too. // 10

Wolfmother Reviewed by: serge1peshcoff, on march 25, 2010

Sound: The sound of the album is a mixture of Led Zeppelin, The White Stripes and some other hard-rock bands. This album has 2 hits: Joker And The Thief and Woman. Woman won the "Best Hard Rock Performance" Grammy award in 2007 and was featured in video games Pure and Motorstorm(PS3). Joker And The Thief was featured as soundtrack in Jackass 2 film and video game NFS: Carbon. Songs from this album was included in many films, games, commercials. This album is a mixture of hard rock, 60-70s rock, stoner rock and psychedelic. I like its sound. There are 2 songs played slowly and on the acoustic guitar: Where Eagles Have Been and Vagabond, other songs played fast. // 10

Lyrics: I don't understand English very well, that's why I don't understand some lyrics. ButI like the lyrics I can understand. The vocals are very good. I watched Please Experience Wolfmother DVD, on which almost all songs from this album were played, and I understand that I like the vocals on live seccions more that vocals on the studio recordings. // 10

Overall Impression: I think, this album is simular to The White Stripes' fourth album, Elephant. Most impressive songs from the album are Joker And The Thief, Woman and Dimension. I like the album's sound adn I can't choose the one song I don't like. Unfortunately, I don't buy an album 'cause it isn't sold in our country, but if I'll have an opportunity to buy it, I'll buy it. // 10

Wolfmother Reviewed by: Powerageman, on july 06, 2010

Sound: For a little while I had been hearing alot about this band, "wolfmother". My friends told me they have a sound like no one else today. They spoke the truth. Honestly, Wolfmother is one of the few bands around today that if they were around 30-40 years ago, they would have fit right in. Wolfmothers guitar and bass sounds are very high on distortion, and it guves off the fuzz kinda sound. Now the first time I heard this I thought "God that sounds awful!". But, it is actually one of the best sounds I have heard in forever. It's very 70's and there's alot of power behind it. The drums have its moments, but it's nothing too out of the ordinary. // 9

Lyrics: Andrew Stockdale is one of my favorite singer/guitarists of the decade. As soon as you hear his voice, you know its him. He does a good job on the album, even that wail at the beginning of Dimension. The lyrics really span out on this album, which isnt very normal anymore for lyrics to do that. White unicorn is a kind of ballad. Woman is a very late 60's hippy song. The joker & the thief, is a story between the obviously, joker and the thief. Really, its just a referance of the characters in Bob Dylan's "All along the watchtower". To this day, I still don't know what "Apple tree" is about. The lyrics are very thought out and planned, which really, they are the best I've heard in a while! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is very different. There is no more Rock'n'roll. If you're considered rock, you are Muse or Coldplay, which in reality, is alternative rock. If you're in a metal band out of this decade, most just try to be the hardest, fastest, and baddest they can be. Wolfmother is neither of these. They just throw out good old rock'n'roll, the way its suppossed to be! My top 5 favorite songs on this album: 01. Colosal 02. Joker And The Thief 03. Woman 04. Tales 05. White Unicorn I love the new sound and how is doesn't sound like everybody else. It really is something fresh that alot of us have been waiting for for quite a while. There really isnt anything to hate on this album, except for the weird acoustic beginning in Where eagles have been. It kinda gets on my nerves a little bit. If it were lost or stolen I probably would buy it again. It's an album I think will be remembered for quite a while. It's last decade's, we are in 2010, Dark side of them moon, really. At least that's my opinion. // 9

Wolfmother Reviewed by: Ganja_guru, on november 11, 2010

Sound: Wolfmother is maybe one of the most epic bands around today. They brought back everything that Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden created, they are one of a kind for sure. They are beyond Original, they bring music from a distant realm of greatness and this album proves it. Wolfmother Uses Phycodelic Rock to draw the listeners in and then throws some umph into it to lock them in place. Wolfmother is one of My all time favorite bands, Every single song is heroic in so many ways. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics that this band produces is extremley original and they create phycodelic poetry within music. Wolfmothers Melody fits every Verse, Chorus and Bridge in every song they have. The singer is a modern mix of The singers of Led Zeppelin, Cream and Black Sabbath. // 10

Overall Impression: "Wlfmother" doesn't compete with any other album because there really is no other album like it. I think the Most impressive songs on the album are: "White Unicorn", "Minds Eye", "Colossal" and ofcourse "Joker and the Thief". I love the originality and speachlessnes I get from this album. I hate that there aren't more listeners. If this album was ever stolen/Lost I would, with out a doubt, buy two more copies so I had a backup one. // 10

More Wolfmother reviews rating latest review
+ Cosmic Egg 8.5 03/23/2011