Wolfmother [EP] Review

wolfmother: Wolfmother [EP]
Release Date: Oct 12, 2004
Label: Modular
Genres: Rock
The Wolfmother EP is hard-hitting, groovy rock, tinged with psychedelia and blues. Wolfmother has a very promising sound.
 9.1
 9.1
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Wolfmother [EP] Reviewed by: Victoria Z, on november 04, 2005

Sound: I have wanted to review this album ever since I first heard "Apple Tree." Now, my friends all know how much I love this band, but I want to inform all of you of how great this Sydney three piece is. I have not yet had the pleasure to see them live, that's next Thursday, and hell! I might even review that! The boys, guitarist/vocalist Andrew Stockdale, keyboardist/bassist Chris Ross, and drummer Myles Heskett, recently returned to Australia after securing, and successfully playing, a spot on the coveted Arthurfest, joining the likes of Yoko Ono, Devandra Banhart, and others. These various bands showcased the surreal sounds of new music, and surprisingly, Wolfmother fit the bill. They did not disappoint! Critics were, and still are, raving about their enthralling set. From the opening riff of the first track, it is obvious which bands these boys are channeling, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and The Doors. I know everyone has probably read these comparisons time and time again, but this time it is true. Dave Sardy, producer of Jet's "Get Born," produced the album, and this influence is very obvious, the overall sound is loud, raw, but does not drown out Stockdale's vocals. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the saviours of Oz-rock. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, it seems that the band were huge fans of "Dungeons & Dragons." Titles like "Witchcraft," "Tales From The Forest Of Gnomes," appear a dead give away, but the band has denied being fans of "D&D" (as would I). Overall impression? Quite mystical, which again leads to the afore mentioned nerd game. Now, Stockdale's singing skills. I could go on and on about this for hours, but I only have a limited space on here. I first saw the clip for "Minds Eye" last week, and I sat there for those four minutes and fifty-three seconds glued to the screen, with goosebumps. My first thought "My God! It's a reincarnation of Robert Plant," but then remembered that Planty ain't dead yet. The vocals are amazing! // 9

Overall Impression: This album is of course, no comparison to the greats. No matter how much fans will ramble on (pardon the pun) about how much they sound like Led Zep, or Black Sabbath, Wolfmother will probably never be as good as them. After one album, how can this comparison be made? But do not worry, Wolfmother are a first class act. This album brings a smile to my face because I can only imagine what it must have been like when this genre was here for the first time round. I love the overall sound of the album, the vocals, the keyboards, the flute, the awesome guitar. Please go and buy this album if you're a fan of old school, old style rock. But please don't be one of those bitter prats that goes "well, back in my day... " // 9

More Wolfmother reviews rating latest review
+ Cosmic Egg 8.5 03/23/2011