Late Love Review

Wolves Like Us: Late Love
Released: June 21, 2011
Genre: Stoner Rock, Hardcore
Label: Prosthetic Records
"Late Love" is the debut from Norway's Wolves Like Us, a band which could be called somewhat of a 'supergroup'. "Late Love" surely has a lot of hardcore elements in it, but there's a lot more going on.
 8.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Late Love Reviewed by: DarkValo666, on may 11, 2012

Sound: There are two ways to explain why a band which has been formed in 2010 has played with bands like Gallows, Kvelertak and others: they're damn good or they know an awful lot of people. Both of them may fit for Norway's Wolves Like Us, a band which could be called somewhat of a 'supergroup'. The members have played in bands like Alulet, Infidels Forever and Silver, which grants them a certain degree of fame in advance. Nevertheless, this is another playground for the four norsemen. "Late Love" surely has a lot of hardcore elements in it, but there's a lot more going on. The first track on the record ("Burns Like A Paper Rose") starts with an ascending lead line which could be found in a lot of modern hardcore bands. But something felt different right away; it was the unique sound which carries on throughout the entire record. It's not your typical modern hardcore sound but rather a crunchy and vintage, yet gutsy rock sound, which never fails to deliver a fair amount of punch but stays clear. There is a making-of video on YouTube, you might want to check that one out. I personally found it impressing that they could get this sound by using really vintage instruments. The next song on the record is "Deathless", which is the first single and the song which made me buy the CD. It loses some of the hardcore attitude and steers into a more bluesy garage rock-esque type of music. They made a music video for that one as well. The rest of the record is absolutely stunning as well. You have fast songs followed by midtempo-groovers, hardcore anthems next to amazing blues rock songs. Fans of hardcore, stoner metal and hard rock need to check this bad boy out. // 9

Lyrics: Lars Kristensen's voice is one-of-kind, there's no other way to put it. You might think that hell swap his bacon for sandpaper and his water for... Well, whiskey. He's not "doing the Kilmister", though. Although the singing is really harsh, Lars never loses a certain sense of melody and emotion - a thing I miss while listening to said Mr. Kilmister (there, I said it!). I really think of a lonely wolf in the Norwegian forest, searching for something... Yeah, I get a little poetic from time to time, so what? Spare with me! The lyrics are about broken love, desperate people who have experienced broken love and advices on how not to experience broken love. It is not that whiny Taylor Swift-thing, but still very emotional - especially because of Lars' stunning voice. // 9

Overall Impression: I have to admit, I'm not by any means a big fan of hardcore. I also have never heard of those bands the guys were/are in besides Wolves Like Us, so it might be a little hard to compare them to another album or artist. It sounds pretty unique to me, but if you guys have any similar artists in mind let me know! My personal favourites are "Burns Like A Paper Rose", "Deathless" and "My Enemy", but then again the whole record is awesome (I feel like I might have mentioned that fact before...). If it were stolen, I would not hesitate a moment and buy it again. It's a record which can be a companion for almost every situation, be it at home, while sitting in the train or while driving on our nice German autobahn (you know... No speed limits at some points and stuff...). While most of you probably won't be able to test the latter, I highly recommend to test any other situation. I promise - you won't be disappointed. // 9

More Wolves Like Us reviews rating latest review