Tactical Review

8.7
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Tactical Reviewed by: rottenbloodycor, on september 19, 2011

Sound: "Tactical" sounds great. It continues the great work Deron Miller always did. There are lots of catchy and ass kicking riffs on their first album. These could include classic death metal riffs as well as well structured melodic riffs. On the other hand most of the riffs don't sound as catchy as the riffs Deron Miller did with cky. Don't get me wrong I love all riffs on the album... The only riff that doesn't appeal to me is the first heavy riff of "Revere's Tears". The solos made by Luke Jaeger are unique. They blow you away because they are incredibly fast and melodic at the same time. Like the whole record the drums are truly heavy on this one which is amazing. But sometimes I would prefer a little bit more of melody in it. // 9

Lyrics: all in all I like the lyrics Deron Miller did. They deal with his hate towards child abuse, mental illness and life itself. Most of them are well thought and unique for example "Under The Autumn low" or "Dead and Still in Pain". Some of the other lyrics do not sound as good as cky lyrics. Take "Revere's Tears" as an example. The way he did the vocals sounds great to me, typically Deron. The vocal overdubs create different atmospheres. Sometimes it could sound like something from the death classic "Symbolic", the other minute the chorus of "Pyro-compulsive" it reminds me of some cynic stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: When I pre-ordered this record I was very psyched about it. I have been waiting for it for 4 years, I imagined it must be the most innovative death metal record since "Human". When I listened to it the first time I was happy with it but not as much as I expected. Like it has been with cky, the songs grow on you and I f--king love it, but I am not as obsessed with it like I was when "Carver City" was released. Never the less it's the best death metal effort I have heard in the last years along with recent releases of malevolent creation and cynic. To conclude my impressions of "Tactical" I have to say it is an amazing and heavy record. You recognize hear Deron's death metal roots. He is heavily influenced by death, malevolent creation, cynic and atheist, which you can hear but always in his own unique way. My favorites are "Purgatory Dormitory" and "Under The Autumn Low". I also have to mention the Megadeath cover they did. It's a good one, it praises the original and they do it in their own style, nice! // 9

Comments