Planisphaerium Review

Wormed: Planisphaerium
Release Date: 2003
Label: Macabre Mementos Records
Genres: Rock
With "Planisphaerium", Wormed create a new level of insanity and a clever lyrical concept, which will probably never be understood by anyone other than them.
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Planisphaerium Reviewed by: devourthekitten, on july 25, 2007

Sound: Wormed's sound is just straight up brutal and heavy. The drumming is good and fast, and adds a lot to the power of the band. Guitar tone isn't great, not very tone-ish, just really distorted, which kind of sucks, because the guitars are played very well. The overall style is purely brutal grindcore (not just noise with screaming, like Pig Destroyer or Extreme Noise Terror, not that I don't like them, but it's more complex and, well, awesome) complete with pig growls and lots of speed. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't like you would expect from a grind band like this. They aren't talking about chopping of your penis and feeding it to a wolf, nor are they talking about raping a corpse, so you won't be offended and/or totally grossed out. The lyrics are also different from those of most other bands (of any genre, really), dealing with science and math stuff. Seeing that you can't understand a word the singer says, the words don't really need to go with the music, but if you're into reading the lyrics, it'll be a cool change (I personally think it's badass). The singer sings in a pig growl, with the occasional scream. Some people find pig growls hilarious, some find it stupid, and some love it. I personally love them, so that's a good point. // 10

Overall Impression: This album (and band) can easily compare to lots of similar grind, and has some variation, which is important, as most (modern) grind has very little. My favorite songs from the album are Geodesic Dome, Voxel Mitosis, and Pulses In Rhombus Form. If someone stole this from me, or I lost it, I would burn it, I have it on my computer. // 9

Comments