Los Angeles Review

x: Los Angeles
Released: 1980
Genre: Rock
Styles: L.A. Punk, American Punk, American Underground
X's debut, Los Angeles, is considered by many to be one of punk's all-time finest recordings.
 6.8
 4.6
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Los Angeles Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on july 26, 2004

Sound: The only punk I knew before this cd was mostly pop punk like Blink-182 and Green Day. My friend got me for my birthday this cd. I was expecting to hate it because I never heard of them. But later did I realize what I missed out. X is a great punk band. Their sound is pure punk before the pop punk era. Guitarist Billy Zoom has some great riffs in a lot of the songs. The drummer, D.J., also sounds goood. Overall, a pure punk sound for the punk in all of us. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were also amazing for me. They range on topics from running over a chick to sex in high society. the cover for Soul Kitchen is one of the best Doors covers I've ever heard making it sound fast paced. Exene is a pretty good vocalist. There were times during some of the songs where she didn't sound good. Exene and bassist John Doe do sound great together when they sing. Overall, the lyrics were standard punk and the vocals were pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: Los Angeles expanded my interest into the punk genre. It's the only X albulm I've heard but I think it's their best. The guitarist stands out with his excellent riffs during every song. the lyrics are your typical punk fare plus John Doe and Exene sound great together. If you want to listen to some good punk or are a fan of old skool punk, then give Los Angeles a spin. // 8

Los Angeles Reviewed by: Zack(15), on july 11, 2007

Sound: When I first came across this band I expected another hyper-masculine L.A. punk band along the lines of The Circle Jerks. What I found was a pleasant suprise. I had found a band that mixed punk with a rockabilly influence mixed with Morrison-esque lyrics about rape and leaving your hometown. The bi-gender vocals of John Doe and Exene Cervenka accent the music perfectly and make one of the best singing duos of all time. Definately one of the best bands to emerge from the L.A. hardcore scene in the 80's. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics may be the best thing about this album. Your typical L.A. punk at the time featured more in-your-face lyrics (ala Black Flag, The Germs, etc.) but these lyrics are almost in a sense poetic. John Doe's voice is not your typical punk bark, he sings with a more haunting vocal style that compliments the music perfectly. Exene has a very feminine yet powerful voice throughout the record and in the rare cases when her voice cracks it makes the record feel more "authentic". The lyrics of this album send a chill down my spine every time I listen to them. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an AMAZING record. Besides the obvious favorites like "Johnny Hit and Run Pauline" and the Doors cover "Soul Kitchen", some of this albums standout tracks are "Nausea" which carries on with an almost fatal battle march feel to it. "Your Phones Off the Hook but Your Not" is a great track for its almost pop-like catchiness but ability to still maintain a punk snarl. Ray Manzarek of Doors fame produced this album and did an amazing job of capturing one of the best bands of all time (regardless of genre) in their prime. If this album was stolen I would without a doubt in my mind buy it again. // 10

Comments