Neverworld's End Review

xandria: Neverworld's End
Released: Feb 24, 2012
Genre: Gothic Metal/Symphonic Power Metal
Label: Napalm Records
Neverworlds End is the fifth studio album by German symphonic metal band Xandria. It was released by Napalm Records. It is the first album to feature Manuela Kraller on vocals.
 7.6
 7.3
 7.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Neverworld's End Reviewed by: sanjeev george, on march 09, 2012

Sound: I am a Goth metal fan, and Xandria has been one of my favourites, but even I did not expect them to be this Gothic. They have returned after a long hiatus and with a new singer, and by jive! The voice is so Gothic, like Nightwish, and the album is power packed, like Xandria has never before been. They have also improved the guitar work compared to their previous records. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics have a goth feel in them, like ancient stories being narrated. The singer's voice is very similar to that of Ex-Nightwish vocalist Tarja Turunen. Good soprano and vibrato quality. "A Prophecy Of Worlds To Fall" starts off as an intro into a gothic adventure. The heavy nature of the guitars and the orchestra-like opening makes the comeback sound of Xandria like never before. "Valentine", the track for which the first video of this album was made, follows next with rapid guitar riffs and drumming. "Forevermore" is noteworthy for its melodious solo work. A common name for songs, "Euphoria" isn't that good though. It follows the style of Xandria's "India". "Blood On My Hands" is a dark track. "Soul Crusher" uses death metal-like elements, including heavy riffs and speedy guitars but without any death vocals. One of the slow metal melodies in this record, "The Dream Is Still Alive" is a nostalgic song, that also speaks of looking towards the future in life. Like they say that variety is the spice of life, a few noisy and meaningless tracks also add flavour top a metal album. "The Lost Elyson" does exactly that. "Call of the wind" has a typical Nightwish touch to it. "A Thousand Letters" is another slow metal ballad. A metal track with an Egyptian flavour, "Cursed" is also a gloomy and dark melody. The album ends with the lengthy "The Nomad's Crown". // 8

Overall Impression: The album can be a lot compared to Nightwish's record (but it is not at all like Nightwish's latest record titled "Imaginaerum"). The most impressive songs I believe are "Valentine", "The Dream Is Still Alive", "A Prophecy Of Worlds To Fall". I love the power and goth feel, with a fresh style of vocals to Xandria and the better guitar work. I dislike some of the lyrics, like those in "Euphoria". That's because I am more of a religious person. Yes if stolen or lost, I'll definitely get it again. I feel Xandria deserves more attention. Support them. // 9

Comments