All Hour Cymbals Review

8.7
 9.5
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
All Hour Cymbals Reviewed by: onlymodestmouse, on june 18, 2009

Sound: Yeasayer is another band from the melting pot of talent known as Brooklyn, New York. The band is fairly enigmatic, having only released this one album. "Middle-eastern psych snap gospel" was the label the band gave itself, and it's pretty accurate. Listening to this album is like an audio trip to india and back; on top of normal instruments one can hear exotic percussions, haunting harmonies and sitar, among others. Yeasayer pushes the boundaries of experimental music, and I think they will soon be up there with critically praised acts like Animal Collective. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, although sometimes hardly discernible, do have a positive and intelligent approach. Songs like "2080" speak about the times we are living in, and they go well with the sense of urgency of the music. Other songs, like "Red Cave", "Worms" and "Waves" are almost impossible to follow. "Red Cave" sings about how blessed one is to spend time with family and friends, and how beautiful life is. These are simple yet effective lyrics. The singer is still obviously finding himself, with a recorded voice that is almost in the distance like Jon Anderson of Yes. His voice is most comparable to David Byrne of the Talking Heads, however it still sounds very unique and original. // 8

Overall Impression: The only artists I can compare Yeasayer to are Animal Collective, because the use of odd instrumentation, cryptic/barely discernible lyrics are very evident. The most impressive songs from the album are "Wait for the Summer", "2080", "Worms/Waves" and "Red Cave". The best thing about this album is that it is a hidden gem and really gives the impression of a band that has travelled to hundreds of countries across the world; I guess, it has a worldly feeling. If it were stolen/lost, I would go buy it right away. I'm suggesting you should too! // 9

Comments