Lights And Sounds Review

yellowcard: Lights And Sounds
Release Date: Jan 24, 2006
Label: Capitol
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
Regardless, Lights and Sounds' good songs are very good, and the album ends up being the band's most accomplished work yet.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 8.3
 9.1
 7.5
Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: tubab0y, on january 26, 2006

Sound: Definitely a lot more mature. The intro song features a piano (very mature) and the violin (also mature). The guitars use a lot of effects, which add a lot to the sound. I've been listening to the single "Lights And Sounds" for a while now, and now that I've listened to the CD it seems like the odd song out. It's all great, no matter what. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are impressive. Not the shallow lyrics like on the last CD, these lyrics actually make you think. It's really impressive. The lyrics could appeal to all audiences. The lyrics go hand in hand with the music. The singer has some talent. He sounds basically the same, except for a few songs. The one that jumps out at me is "Down On My Head." // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is miles better than their last one. They have matured greatly, as stated above. The layering of the instruments really sounds great. There's nothing that jumps out at me that I hate about it. I love this CD. I downloaded it off of iTunes, so it can't exactly be stolen, but if it were somehow, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: fox69, on january 31, 2006

Sound: I got into Yellowcard when they released "Ocean Avenue" and I thought they were just ok. I figured id give them a try angain when I saw their new CD on the shelf. Was I ever blown away. I had heard some good things about it, but I wasn't expecting it to be near as good. They really seem to have matured as far as sound goes. The opening track "Three Flights Up" is an awsome instrumental. They also finally got the violin to perfectly fit with the rest of the band. Before it was just bits and pieces of violin, and now, it doesn't sound out of place. great drumming as well. They finally dont sound like all other pop/punk bands out there. // 10

Lyrics: Ryan's vocals are much better in this album. He has made his voice sound a lot more mature, and the lyrics relfect it. Another thing that really impressed me was that they finally got a little bit political with their music. "Two Weeks From Twenty" is about a guy named Jimmy, who went off to war and died. It critisizes bush and the war, plus it's not dark song either. It's a mellow song, but it's not as dark as youd think. It's like it's really casual, which shows how bad the war is becoming when a dead kid is so casual. Very well written. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best I've heard from yellowcard as of yet. They don't compare to other pop/punk bands anymore because they have found their sound and it fits them to a tee. If you haven't gotten this album, I highly recommend that you do. The best songs are "Lights And Sounds," "Three Flights Up," "Down On My Head," "Sure Thing Falling," "Two Weeks From Twenty," "Waiting Game" and "Holly Wood Died." There's really not a song that's bad on the album, and that's what I love about it. You can go throught the whole CD and not have to skip a shitty song. Hope they keep this kinda stuff coming. // 10

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: starseed20, on january 26, 2006

Sound: The band's sound is somewhat more mature and their biggest addition is that it seems they have fully integrated the violin in their arsenal of pop-punk-emo but Lights and Sounds seems to go much deeper than that. At its first listening like many albums it seems quite ordinary but when you really get into it you're overwhelmed by their talent. As a long time Yellowcard fan, I was a little deceived at first but now I'm totally into this album and can't stop listening to it. The catchy riffs are still there and they're what makes us so addicted to Yellowcard. I was a little disappointed by 'How I Go' which includes a strings section but is not a 'Radio Song' as I could say. Waiting Game, Down on my Head, and Two Weeks From Twenty with its 'Elevator Music Feeling' are some of the songs I like best. Sean Mackin gets also more involved with his violin and you can clearly hear that he's just not that 'Violin Touch' that makes Yellowcard so special. Very good overall! // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics from Lights And Sounds are quite emo but don't really stand apart from their previous albums but there is the story of a girl whose name is 'Holly Wood' which is continued throughout the album and is what I think a criticism of the world of superstars who can get overwhelmed by fame if they don't remember why they do what they do in the first place. Lights And Sounds also gets this issue covered. Yellowcard gets his message through once again and it's not your typical punk-rock-emo album and requires quite a bit of understanding. Ryan Key has done quite a great job with this album! // 9

Overall Impression: I got this album in advance through downloading, that's lame but I'm gonna buy it for sure! I just couldn't wait for it to come out and I was right. Another great addition to any Yellowcard fan's collection. And if you don't know Yellowcard yet, I suggest you listen to Ocean Avenue first, which is easier to listen than this one. I'd say this album is more pop than Ocean Avenue too, there's no big rock hits like Way Away and Ocean Avenue on it, except maybe Lights And Sounds but I guess it'll sell great! The only thing negative I'd like to say is that Yellowcard undoubtedly changed, for good? Who knows! It is nevertheless a great album so give it a try and let yourself in! // 9

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: savy11, on january 25, 2006

Sound: In my opinion Yellowcard have changed quite abit with this new album Lights And Sounds. There is more of a kind of depth to their new music, something that there old music was lacking. The actual album is abot a character called Holly Wood. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are alot stronger in this album, compared to there old ones. But not to powerfull. The music and the lyrics go together without the music drowning out the words like in so many other songs. // 9

Overall Impression: This is Yellowcard's best album by far and I advise you to go out and buy it as soon as possible. My personal favourite song is the tittle track Lights and Sounds, which really shows the band in there true new form. The only real problem with the album is the first track on the album which is fully instrumental 'Three Flights Up'. If this album was robbed from me I'd deffinately replace it straight away. Another great album from Yellowcard. // 10

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: xcrunner1, on january 30, 2006

Sound: The sound is very incohesive, but that's okay because it's meant to be taken one song at a time. Much slower than Ocean Avenue, and jazzier than anything they've done yet. When I heard "Gifts And Curses" of the Spider-Man 2 CD, I was like "Wow, what a step in the right direction." Then this CD came out, and it became public knowledge that Ryan Key was leaving; this CD's a closing act for Yellowcard. Let's face it, he writes all the songs. They managed to evolve the sound and still sound Yellowcard-ish, which is very tough to do. As a successor to OA, the album (as a whole) falls flat, but some of the songs blow anything off OA out of the water, namely the title track, Sure Thing Falling, City of Devils, and Grey. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are typical Key-grade lyrics. Is it still mainstream? yes. Is it still catchy? yes. Is it the same theme as OA? Hell no. The girl this time around (Holly Wood) is more an object of contempt than anything, because they've stuck w/ her for too long. This element taps into simplistic lessons of morality (something not found in Holly Wood). A huge contrast to the lovey-dovey tracks of yore. the only lyrics that really suck are from "Two Weeks From Twenty" but Key didn't write most of that song, so I'll let it slide. // 9

Overall Impression: Honestly, I'm not familiar w/ their cd One For the Kids, but when stacked up to Ocean Avenue, this CD is much more diverse than OA, which was the same song over and over, but w/a different verse. At least I don't have to be in a sappy, lovey-dovey TRL mood to enjoy violin punk-rock. Good job, Yellowcard, and long live Floridian bands (represent). // 10

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: 6string fanatic, on february 01, 2006

Sound: I think they've really done a great job on the sound of this album. Ocean Avenue was basically all just a bunch of power chords thrown together to sound good (granted it still ended up sounding alright), but this actually seems to have had more thought, time, effort, and heart and soul put into it. // 9

Lyrics: Hands down, the lyrics on Lights And Sounds are 10 times better than those on Ocean Avenue and even their earlier stuff. The better lyrics with the better sound just makes for a better album obviously. I've listened to this CD almost non-stop since I got it a few days ago and the lyrics really make you think, I find it easy to relate to them and feel the emotion that was put into writing them. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a great album, it's just that simple. I haven't found a thing I hate yet. I guess the tracks I like the most so far are "Down On My Head," "Waiting Game," and "Holly Wood Died" (not that the rest of the tracks aren't great though). The violin and even the piano parts on this album add so much to it and overall it's just pretty freaking great! // 9

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: craigypoo, on february 02, 2006

Sound: I think that the bands new album is not as good as the previous two albums however the album is still good. There are are few songs on there that are brilliant, however if you are looking for the new album to be more of the same from previous albums you will be dissapointed. The album is a lot louder than the previous album, but if this is to your taste you will love it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good on most tracks, but they do not have the same effect as the last album. On the last album every song had lyrics that people can relate to, but the lyrics are still good. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the worst album of the three, "Ocean Avenue" and "One For The Kids" but don't be fooled by the word "worst." The album is still good, but just not as good as the others. My favorite tracks are "How I Go," "Lights And Sounds" and "Waiting Game." Yellowcard fans must buy this album. // 8

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2006

Sound: I love the music! The music is much better than Ocean Avenue. Yellowcard have changed from being pop-punk to pure hard rock. The drummer hits his drums and cymbals even harder. The violin player starts using pedals with his violin and that is what makes the sound even better. A good example of a song with a violin and a wah pedal would be Rough Landing, Holly. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics got slightly better. I wasn't really impressed with them, but they were better than the ones in Ocean Avenue. Ryan Key still sounds the same though. The lyrics and the music go together much better and I was really really really impressed. // 8

Overall Impression: Yellowcard have undergone a major change since Ocean Avenue and Ryan Key sounds like the lead singer for American Hifi. The most impressive songs on this album are Lights And Sounds, Down On My Head, Sure Thing Falling, and Rough Landing, Holly. I completely love this new album. There are some things I hate, but they are so insignificant, I don't even care! If this was stolen/lost, I'd do everything I can to find it or buy a new one. This album rocks! // 10

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: guitarista_727, on february 03, 2006

Sound: Yellowcard kicks it up a notch in their sounds. Rather than starting really fast, they play 'Three Flights Up' as their intro, which is a combination of the piano and the violin. It starts slow, but it ends fast with 'Holly Wood Died.' All the songs are well arranged, as it follows the story of the fictional character Holly Wood, which many presume is the epitome of a typical celebrity life. The album has a series of fast songs, then melancholic ones, then a mix of the two to better portray the story told. Did I mention kick it up a notch? Yes, they did. Sean Mackin has officially turned the violin into a multi-genre instrument with his performances in 'Lights and Sounds', fiddling fast enough to catch up with LP's drumming. Ryan Mendez, the new guitarist, takes Ben Harper's spot and keeps the band's music original as the other ones. // 10

Lyrics: Ok, Yellowcard has greatly matured in this album. Maybe one or two songs about girls, but like I said earlier, the whole album revolves around the story of Holly Wood, a fictional character representing celebrity life. Yellowcard has made unique lyrics to fit the whole story, and Ryan Key once again efficiently draws out the songs' meanings with his vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: This is simply an upgraded Yellowcard album, complete with everything and more that makes up Yellowcard. The songs are really good, and 'Rough Landing, Holly' is a personal favorite. If you're lucky to get the CD/DVD, you get a lot more than great Yellowcard music. I can't say that it's better than the past, because each album Yellowcard had have their own unique characteristic, which makes this album really good, as it tells a mature story about the life we just might take for granted, like a celebrity's. // 10

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: blazzinmatt, on february 07, 2006

Sound: When I first picked up the Lights and Sounds album I was expecting a mix of Ocean Avenue and One For The Kids, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear a lot of sounds from Ocean Avenue and also a lot of sounds from One For the Kids. I am very much into Yellowcard's music because of their style of playing, which is always on beat and very soothing, but also because of the violin. The violin in the band adds an overall effect not achieved by many bands today. It adds the effect of being able to add something totally different to their music, which sets them apart from other bands that keep popping up these days. // 9

Lyrics: First and foremost let me say that the lyrics are amazing. Me and my friends just sat down and listened to the lyrics one day and we find that we can relate to a lot of them, which I find to be awesome. When a bunch of teenagers can relate to the ups and downs of a CD's lyrics you know that the band is doing something extremely right. Yellowcard, in my opinion, has always been amazing at writing lyrics from One For the Kids to Lights and Sounds. If you yourself cannot relate to a song that you hear, there is someone else close to you that can or it will make you think of someone who can. The lead singers in Yellowcard, Pete and Sean, are amazing at being able to hit all pitches throughout the song and keeping up with the music. Everything is exactly on beat and they are just amazing singers. // 10

Overall Impression: Lights And Sounds I think is definitely Yellowcard's best album to date because it combines the best of the best of their two previous albums. My favorite song has to be Down On My Head just because of the way it sounds and the lyrics can relate to anyone and I think it is a song that you could listen to if you needed to just chill down or something. There is nothing I truly hate about the album except the length. I wish it could be longer, but I love everything about the album and if it was stolen I would just go and buy myself another copy because the CD is that amazing. If you don't have it I recommend going out and buying it because you will love every minute of it. // 10

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: misery507, on february 08, 2006

Sound: Yellowcard's sound has changed alot in this album. And in my opinion not for the better, I was a huge fan of yellowcards old stuff, such as "for Pete's sake" and there acoustic songs were unparralled. In this album however they get away from the stuff them made them great. Fast guitar riffs, licks and such. Crazy ass violin and the like. // 4

Lyrics: Lyrics another downfall on this album. Although I rather like the music to "Two Weeks From Twenty" a band taking a political stand is just on of my pet peeves. I want to hear them play rockin music. Not liberal propaganda (I'm not a big fan of conservitives either). // 4

Overall Impression: Yellowcard although downhill on this album is still a great band. This isn't the worst stuff to listen to, just worse than there others. Another thing. Lights And Sounds is the first song on the album. I mean c'mon you think of who knows how many song names over the years, a band name. But when it comes to the album your out of ideas? To me that just shows a lack of effort. // 6

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: emo_king, on march 01, 2006

Sound: My first impression of the new full-length from Yellowcard was, "wow." I was thoroughly impressed with the way that the new cd turned out. After 2003's "Ocean Avenue," quickly going platinum, I feared that Yellowcard would produce another "Ocean Avenue" and stay in that comfort zone that they have so created for themselves. However, I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least, that "Lights and Sounds" was nothing like "Ocean Avenue." The overall feel of the CD is much more mature, showing Yellowcard's versatility and growth as a band. The band is quickly gaining recognition as one of the better bands of our generation, and "Lights And Sounds" is just one step on the way to Yellowcard's greatness. The CD starts out with a lovely first track, entitled "Three Flights Up," which is an instrumental song heavily laden with piano and orchestration. The string arrangement was done by Sean Mackin, the violinist of the band. Beautiful job. The next track, title track, and first single from the album is "Lights And Sounds." Here we get the feel of the "new" Yellowcard, as the song shys away from their typical pop-punk roots and delves deeper into a more experimental sound. Don't get me wrong, the song is still just as catchy as any Yellowcard song, but it's different. The next song, "Down On My Head", is a wonderful tune. It starts off with a mellower sound, but, as you will find most songs on this CD do, builds up to an explosive chorus. "Sure Thing Falling" is the following track. Now we get to the more sensitive side of Yellowcard. The side of Yellowcard that we fell in love with on "Empty Apartment." Track 5 of the new album is entitled "City Of Devils". The wonderful arrangement of minor key to major resolutions makes this track unforgettable. Just as on "Ocean Avenue," the "sensitive" song is followed by a fast-paced track. On "Lights and Sounds" it is called "Rough Landing, Holly." The song starts out with a mind-numbing violin solo. At first listen, you are bound to love this song. "Two Weeks From Twenty," the next track, has a more "Lounge" feel to it. With lyrics relating to war, this song touches a sensitive subject with style and grace. The following song, "Waiting Game," gives us the emotion and power reminiscent of "Only One." The song features a beautifully constructed string arrangement. The next track, "Martin Sheen Or JFK," has an interesting title. Do not be fooled by this. This song features one of the best bridges on the entire album. The quick dropoff from loud to melancholy, with the slow build up to the chorus again is amazing. Thumbs up. The next two tracks are titled "Space Travel" and "Grey," respectively. Here we see the more experimental side of Yellowcard. We hear filtered guitars, the sound of muffled talking in the middle of the break in "Space Travel," and they pull it off well. "Words, Hands, Hearts" brings us a mature sound, which fits lyrics very well. One of my favorite tracks on the CD, "How I Go," is next. This song reminds us vaguely of "View From Heaven," with the accompanying female vocals. This song is entirely acoustic, and features beautiful melodies and musically stunning hooks. Finally, we get to "Holly Wood Died." This song fits the close of this CD very well, with, as mentioned before, explosive choruses and melodic harmonies. This song also brings back the theme introduced in "Three Flights Up," but this time it is with a full string section, drums, and guitar. The close of this CD is a memorable one. // 10

Lyrics: The overall impression of the lyrics on this CD is amazing. Yellowcard has strayed from solely writing songs about lost love and the past and has moved on to writing with a purpose. The lyrics suggest us to look to the future. With lyrics that talk of such sensitive subjects as war, you can be sure that the CD will have an impact. Another interesting thing about these lyrics is the recurring character of Holly Wood. She is first introduced in "Rough Landing, Holly" as an actress that stuns the world. We see this apparent with lines such as "She moves fast, takes control/And like a heart attack, I know I can't turn back." She also makes her appearance in the track "Holly Wood Died." Here we learn more of her desires. The desire to live a good life so she is remembered. Overall, "Lights And Sounds" produces much more emotions that vary in nature. I enjoyed the lyrical side of the album just as much as the musical. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs from this album would be, in no order whatsoever: "City Of Devils," "Waiting Game," "How I Go," and "Holly Wood Died." These songs present a new Yellowcard. A Yellowcard that has matured. I love most everything about this new album. I think that the two and a half year wait was well worth it. I bought this CD the day it came out, on January 24th, and have fallen in love with it. If this were stolen and/or lost, I would be back in the store purchasing a new copy. This album will forever remain in my CD collection as one of my favorites. Good work, Yellowcard. // 10

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: Ben Downes, on july 26, 2006

Sound: Yellowcard are a hard Band to submit a review for but I'm gonna have a go anyway. When yc brought out thier new album (lights and sounds)I think what they had going through thier minds at the time was let's produce an album that tells a story not only about people in todays society but abou the whole world aswell and I think they have done just that with thier new album lights and sounds but this time the lyrics are not only more unique but different in the way they tell thier stories aswelll. // 8

Lyrics: Like Green Day, YC have also strayed away from power chords and used chords which are an A chords and so on. The chords, intros, melodies and solos are perfect for the lyrics of this album because these chords take YC outta there comfort zone and come out with amazing lyrics and melodic tunes which impressed me a fair bit. My favourite song off thier new album is the song waighting game and that song tells a story of how this guy is dead but some how tellepathically he tells this chick that he needs her more than ever before but he's also pretty desperate aswell to say things such as these. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that YC have produced an album that is easy to follow along with in that the lyrics are easy to understand and for anyone who wants to learn how to play these songs there actually quite easy so people can play them quite efficiently. The last time I spoke to ryan key (YC lead guitarist & singer) he said that his plan was to bring out an album with YC that's easy to understand where YC are comming from in there point of views and what they are trying to say. So that sentence finallises my review for Yellowcard. // 10

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: kfong03, on august 30, 2006

Sound: For first impressions, "Lights And Sounds" does not stand up to the high standards set in Yellowcard's previous album, "Ocean Avenue", I first felt and thought the music didn't sound like anything, except for the great songs in the album, like "Lights And Sounds", "Down On My Head". Which are seriously good. Then as I heard the album a few more times, it started to sink in. "Words, Hands And Hearts" and "Two Weeks From Twenty" turned from okay songs to great songs, soon, the album started to sound really good, the violin still helps improve the music, and having an instrumental like "3 flights up" is a great start to the album, and the way it jumps into "Lights And Sounds", arguably the best song in the whole album, was sweet. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics have improved and matured since "Ocean Avenue", Ryan Key maintains the best of his song-writing skills and now improves it, the result? great lyrics in this album that continue to augment the music to a new level, if only "Ocean Avenue" had lyrics of this level, it would have been an even better album, but honestly, the stuff in "Ocean Avenue" is not that bad either. // 9

Overall Impression: Yellowcard always gives me the impression of a great rock band trying to reach new heights and make truly orignal stuff, and their effirts continue to show in "Lights And Sounds" while some of the stuff sounds old, others sound totally new and with one or two more succesfull albums such as "Lights And Sounds" and "Ocean Avenue" will launch them into the great hall of fame in rock music. // 9

Lights And Sounds Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2007

Sound: Yellowcards change in Lights And Sounds from their previous album (Ocean Avenue) is evident straight away, with the first track being an Instrumental one. Other songs that show a clear change and a much progressed maturity are songs such as: City Of Devils or Lights And Sounds two songs with more of a rock sound than punk. The use of Seans violin is dynamic from very expressed to used weakly and in on of the songs (How I Go) It is very strong and the songs itself has an orchestra. The sound of this album is refreshing and much more original than almost every other band releasing albums at this time. // 10

Lyrics: Yellowcards lyrics haven't really progressed onto a different level from before they are still mixed between songs about people and about California as a place. Again the lyrics haven't managed to achieve a higher level of chemistry with the music from Ocean Avenue, however this is due to the detail that Yellowcard already achieved a very strong chemistry which is hard to increase for a smaller band. William (Ryan) Keys singing skills aren't to be admired in every song on the album but some in particular he does really hit his peak, songs like Words, Hands, Hearts and Martin Sheen Or JFK are probably the two that he shows his ability to sing in. // 9

Overall Impression: Dropping their Punky sound due to the bands distate at seeming immature is Respectable but it must be said a little foolish on their part. Sales for Ocean Avenue (their last punk album) were aroung 2 million higher than Lights And Sounds it could be said that Yellowcard actually missed the opportunity to become Punk Gods, especially since Blink 182 split up. I love Lights And Sounds I probably listen to almost every song on it every single day and for guitar players the music is a gateway of styles varying between the tricky riffs in Sure Thing Falling and Lights And Sounds, to the solo in Holly Wood Died and the alternative chord based style of City Of Devils. This album is good enough in my opinion that if I lost the case for it, then I'd probably buy it again. // 10

More Yellowcard reviews rating latest review
+ Ocean Avenue Acoustc 7.5 08/20/2013