Ocean Avenue Review

artist: yellowcard date: 11/08/2007 category: compact discs
yellowcard: Ocean Avenue
Released: Jul 22, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Rebellious, Cynical/Sarcastic, Aggressive, Witty, Brash, Rambunctious, Yearning
Styles: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
 8.7
 8.3
Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: a7x41, on march 10, 2005

Sound: Okay, I sort of like the sound of this CD. I like the way Yellowcard has a violin because it kind of goes with the singer's annoying ass voice. But other than in Only One, the violin sounds more like some folk or country s--t. The guitar isn't all that bad with a pretty cool solo in Life of a Salesman, but thats just about it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD suck ass. Like all pop-punk bands, they sing about girls. It's okay for about 2-3 songs, but then it just gets repetitive and gay. Probably the worst lyrics are in the last song Back Home. It's all about "like, oh my god, I miss Florida so much, but I'm so rich that I don't want to go back." It's so annoying. So in a word, the lyrics suck. // 2

Overall Impression: This is the worst CD I ever bought. I hate every song on it, except for Way Away and Only One (it's the only love song worth listening to on the CD). If anyone broke into my house to try to steal it, I would laugh in their face because I already threw that s--t in the fireplace. // 2

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: qwerty, on august 22, 2005

Sound: The sound of the music in this album is totally individual. The violin is definately the thing that makes it this good, I mean, the way that the violin blends with the lead guitar is extremely good. Very few songwriters can put stuff together like Yellowcard can. Their first album came out a while ago (1 for the kids). This album is totally different. One for the kids' mellow, yearning tracks such as Cigarette and awol have been replaced by fast, uplifting ballads such as Ocean Avenue and Way Away. However the best thing about this album has to be the voice of Ryan Key. This was his last album for Yellowcard and the latest one is awful. If Ryan is reading this, release some more record, join another band, you rock! // 10

Lyrics: As I just said, Ryan key is a supurb singer, who's voice suits the kind of music Yellowcard made. The song that really showed off his talent was only one, his abillity to hold notes is astonishing. The lyrics were writtne by the bands' makeshift bassist Peter Mosely, although the songwriting was good, the lyrics don't really have much meaning or psycological value. If you're looking for great lyrics, look no further than bowling for soup. // 6

Overall Impression: Yellowcard is a band, that is rather like my dog. It has the best bits from a few great other bands/breeds and is shoved together in one package. Ryan Key sounds vaguely like Billy Joe from Green Day, and many of the fundimentals to their music is similar to that of Jimmy Eat World, especially the bass. The best song on the album is Ocean Avenue by far, but Way Away and Breathing are also superb. I can understand wy it would be stolen and I would definately buy it again. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2006

Sound: The music in this album is awesome. The violin goes great with guitar and drums. Yellowcard combined punk rock and violin to create a new type of music that is completely awesome. That combination is genius and pretty clever. I was so impressed with the sound in this album. It's so awesome! // 10

Lyrics: While the music is great, the lyrics are not. The lyrics in my opinion are pathetic. The only good parts are the choruses. Other than that, the lyrics suck completly. I was listening to one of the songs and I thought the music was great but the lyrics completely killed it. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall this album was pretty impressive. Ryan Key kinda sounds like the lead singer from American Hi-fi. The most impressive songs are the first three in which I'll list from my favorite to least favorite: Ocean Avenue, Way Away, and Breathing. I completely love the music but once again, I hate the lyrics. If this was stolen/lost I'd definetly do all that I can to get the album back. Lyrics suck! // 8

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2003

Sound: This CD is probably one of the best sounding CD's I've heard in quite a while. The violin played by Sean Mackin adds a unique sound to the punk/pop band. Some of the guitar riffs are simple as most things are but the lead guitar played by Ben Harper is in my opinion perfect to go along with Ryan Key's guitar and vocals. LP is probably one of the better drummers in his time. All together an absolutley mind-blowing sound. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics, very meaningful and deep. I especially like the lyrics in track 9 "View From Heaven" Ryan Key has a very good voice for the lyrics he wrote. // 10

Overall Impression: Great CD, it is very energizing. Yellowcard has a few other CD's. Ocean Avenue is signed on Capitol. I saw Yellowcard this weekend and they are are very talented live performers as well as recording artists, not to mention very down to earth guys. Anyways this CD has had a permanent spot in my CD player since I've gotten it. I strongly recommend this CD to everyone. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: WillBury, on january 22, 2004

Sound: It seems like a 100% pop rock album for all the cotton candy girls to drool over. The interesting part about this CD is the violin parts that lay smoothly over the guitar riffs and bass lines (which pretty much just follow the guitar in every step) and the shuffling sixteenth hi-hat rhythms, topped with high pitched vocal notes about love, parents, and how life is cool but sucks at the same time. Yes, we have yet another pop rock album to add to the millions. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are powerful but simple. This is a case of taking simple rhymes and vocabulary and using them to describe powerful topics. Yellowcard is pretty good at planting a visual image of their muisc inside your head. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is worth a listening if you like Story Of The Year and Good Charlotte. The single is pretty much the best song on it (Way Out). However, the violin is what caught my ear. In all honesty, I do respect Yellowcard and their music is pretty good, but I don't think it's worth buying unless it's under 10 dollars at a used record store. Sorry YC. // 6

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 13, 2004

Sound: Pop punk meets a violin. Yeah normally you'd say what the hell, but now with Yellowcard. They seem to have managed to bring the melodies of pop punk to mix with a classical sound of a violin. Ryan is a fairy talented guitars, and then add sean's violen onto his rhythm to add a very mellow yet rad rock beat. listen to "Way away" for a perfect example of their NSync beat. // 10

Lyrics: Yellowcard's lyrics are zoned more for teenagers. Whether you're going through a heart break.. or wanting out of this so called "prison". Some of the songs sound the same but it gives it kind of a on the same page vibe. Ryan's got a great voice.. with room to improve. // 10

Overall Impression: I highly suggest buying this cd, I fell in love with yellowcard the first time I heard way away. The songs that show Yellowcard's true talent are Ocean Avenue, Empty Apartment, Only One, View From Heaven, Twenty Three, and Way Away. The only thing I dislike about the album is it kind of sounds like Mest. But other then that Yellowcard is a great band, Ocean Avenue is a excellent cd. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2004

Sound: Can you say perfect? This album redefines punk music. Aside from the catchy guitar riffs, the violin adds a flavor to the sound that no other band has ever been able to capture. The drums are amazing, with difficult beats that are made to sound easy by Longineu's fantastic ability to set himself apart from other drummers. The use of the low toms and bass drum in quiet intros really sets the sound of yellowcard apart. The bass fits perfect in every place its needed. Although the bass line isn't neccessarily overly diffcult, it gives the crisp, perfect sound than Yellowcard has come to be known by. // 10

Lyrics: Wow! The words are amazing. Unlike so many bands out there, of every style, the lyrics of Yellowcard are amazing. They aren't the band who writes 12 songs on a 13 songs CD about girls. They choose to right about everything...A tribute to 9-11, Heaven, a father-son relationship, and even one or two about girls. But the big difference is that they write and sing their music with an optimistic view. Without a doubt, they have written some of the most amazing lyrics...of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: I might sound biased towards them, but they have been my favorite band for over two years. I've only been avidly listening to music for 4 years now, so it's pretty considerable for me to think that I haven't heard one song by them I don't like, and I haven't gotten sick of any of their songs. There are a lot of amazing bands out there, but I think that as an overall group, Yellowcard tops them off. They are great guys, and even for the people who don't like their music(for whatever crazy reason) would still like them as people. They are great live, and that's a quality that's becoming more and more rare in bands these days. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2004

Sound: Sound is awesome. I haven't heard much like Yellowcard with there violin suddenly out of no were picking out a great sound and making it go through. It's awesome what these guys have come up with. And there songs are even fun to play so thats a big plus. // 10

Lyrics: With the pop-punk sound there singers voice goes really well with what they are trying to do. And of course like every one I love to sing along with it and that makes it all the more fun. Plus while you're listening the lyrics are understandable and fun to sing. // 10

Overall Impression: These guys are so good that i'm going to there concert in vegas in march. That's going to be fun. This is a cd that I would actually spend money on even if I had the chance to get it burned. They deserve a lot of credit for what they have done. And I recommend this cd to everyone. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2004

Sound: Yellowcard is definitely unique with the violin. The first time I heard a song off their old album, I feel in love with them and definitely was impressed by how much better there new album, Ocean Avenue was over their already kick ass stuff on The Underdog EP and One For The Kids. But the violin just rox on the cd. On the song Only One, the violin just makes you feel like you are climbing. Everytime I hear any of the songs of this album, the songs just make me want to get up and jump around. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty sweet. The are meaningful and aren't all about heart ache which is an area a lot of bands tend to lean on these days. The lyrics consist of subjects all across the board, friendship, moving all the way on the other side of the US, love, 9/11, being young, etc. And Ryan Key definitely has an amazing voice. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this cd was it kicked ass. Out of all my cds and cds I have ever listened to, this is definitely by far my absolutely favorite one. The songs are just so energetic and just bring me to life hearing them. The cd is definitely worth it's money. Personally, I think they are getting robbed for what the cd cost. It's way underpriced. But I fully recommend whoever reads this to stop right away and get to the nearest cd store and buy Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2004

Sound: I was playing Madden 2004 and I heard the song Way Away. I fell in love with the song and I decided to buy the album. What a mistake! On Way Away, the violin isn't quite noticable, but it adds good depth to the song. But some of the other songs on the cd, the violin sticks out like sore thumb. It's incredibly hi-pitched and it stands out too much. It is like listening to fingernails on chalkboard. (true story: when I first popped the cd in my stereo at home, my dog started barking at the hi-pitched noises) They do have a couple of good songs though, like way away, and track three. But that's because on both of these the violin does not stand out as much. Worst $15 I ever spent on a cd since... ever. // 2

Lyrics: Lyrics are okay. But compared to the music its great. Nothing big or original. Your typical pop-punk stuff. I do like the lyrics to Way Away though. The singer has the typical winey emo punk voice. Reminds me of New Found Glory and Simple Plan. // 4

Overall Impression: Although Way Away is one of my favorite songs, this album was really disappointing to me. I really really hate the violin. They should definitely get rid of him. He is just a novelty act anyways. If this album was lost or stolen, I would find the person who stole it, and laugh in his/her face. Then I would suggest pschylogical therapy to deal with the trauma after listening to it. It is that horrible. This cd is not worthy of being a coaster. Absolutely the worst cd I own. (that says alot, because I have over 400 cds) Even the album cover sucks, it looks like its been done by an eight year old, and the pic of the girl is all blurry. So avoid this cd at all costs, run from it like the plague, and go to your favorite downloading place (legal or illegal) and download their one good song, WAY AWAY. // 2

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: busted_chick, on march 29, 2004

Sound: I love the sound of Yellowcard. They are rock, but with Sean Mackin on the violin, gives that, I dunno, just an awesome bonus, and gives the music some individuality. It would have been a risk to add him to the band, it could have been a complete disaster, but it works in with the music brilliantly, and is just awesome!!! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are great. they might be the best lyrics I've ever heard from a band in their genre. they fit with with the music which is great. Ryan Key, who is the lead vocalist has a definite pop/punk voice, sort of like the sound of simple plan or sum 41. Sean Mackin, violinist, who also sings the song "twenty three" also has a really cool voice. Alex Parks, the bass player also contributes with singing, but has no solo. but he works in the music. Their voices combined make perfect harmonies, while not sounding all pretty...brilliant! // 10

Overall Impression: It is definitely a major contender to being my favourite album of all time! The most impressive songs would be track 2: Breathing and track 6: Only One. They show great vocal skills and just rock hard. But my favourite song is twenty three, it just kiks some major assage! I've it was stolen or lost, I would buy it again, hey I might even buy 2 copies! It is definitely worth buying and I recommend it to everyone who likes rock, but wants a different approach to it. I love this album sooo much!! haha. Cheers, bye. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: DiscipleOfRock, on april 07, 2004

Sound: At passing, Yellowcard seems to be your standard SoCal (via Florida) Pop-Punk/Emo band. The usual driving, catchy riffs are present and accounted for, as are the high-pitched, whiny vocals, which are mostly about a girl. However, after listening to Ocean Avenue for a while, you get the feeling that something's different. What's playing that catchy lead riff in 'Breathing'? And what's that weird thing playing in 'Only One?' Well, if you read the back of the album booklet, you'll find that those interesting sounds are coming from a violin, viola and cello. That's right, one of the main band members is the electric violinist. Sean Mackin is an excellent violinist, providing many catchy riffs, as well as adding a key layer to Yellowcard that many bands lack. Christine Choi and Rodney Wirtz also give notable contributions to half of the tracks on the albums on the cello and viola, respectively. The guitar and drum work is not anything special, but it's still good too. // 8

Lyrics: What's a Pop-Punk/Emo band without a lead vocalist with a high voice singing about a girl? Ryan Key's lyrics are much like Jordan Pundik's (New Found Glory), and Ryan's voice even sounds like Jordan's. These lyrics aren't anything we haven't seen before, but they're enjoyable. They flow nicely, they work with the music, and they're heartfelt. Sean Mackin also does some backup vocal work for those standard punk voice chords. // 6

Overall Impression: Ocean Avenue is a worthy addition to any SoCal Punk Rocker's CD collection. Yellowcard is a lot like its peers in some ways, but they've got a lot of unique touches in their sound that makes them interesting. This isn't a spectacular album, but there are a lot of good tracks on this CD (in fact, they're almost all good) and the songs don't all sound the same. If you listen to 'Way Away', and then transition to 'One Year, Six Months, it sounds like you've switched CDs. Ocean Avenue is a good album overall, especially since it delivers some fresh sounds, which is a relief next to all of those textbook Pop-Punk/Emo bands around. // 8

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: jubedude, on april 23, 2004

Sound: The overall sound of the cd is pretty upbeat. This CD just rules for takin a ride in the car and just chillin out. The style is not too abstract, with some hardcore backup from the guitars in some of the songs, but the violinist giving it an upbeat feel. The violinist definitely gives the band a unique sound, and it is pulled off perfectly. // 10

Lyrics: The singers voices are nothing special, but they are on key and have pleasant tones. // 8

Overall Impression: The overall impression from the album is just a relatively upbeat and energizing collection. There are some quiet songs, and some harder songs with the violin flavor giving it extra energy. The CD is most definitely worth buying. GO BUY IT. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2004

Sound: There are many bands with the soft edge these days, but yellowcard have a great sound with great harmony's and the violin makes it sound great. Having heard most of their earlier albums, ocean avenue has softened the edges compared to earlier albums. // 8

Lyrics: Looking at the whole album the lyrics are slghtly better than what you'd expect. The type of guitar/violin that is played suits the lyrics very well, and the singing skills are good, but not the bands best highlight. // 8

Overall Impression: Yellowcard are really quite their own catagory and is hard to compare to anyone else. I think the most impressice songs on the album are; Way away, Breathing, ocean avenue and miles apart. I love the violin in it and the gr8 harmony's, i dislike the songs where they sound like stuff you'd hear on a radio station people in their mid 40's listen to. If it were stolen I would buy it again, but i allways transfer my music ot my pc just in case. It is definatly worth buying, great album. Yellowcard is a great band. // 8

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on june 23, 2004

Sound: Yellowcard's sound is awesome. Ryan Key and Ben Harper are pretty good guitarists. Sean Macken adds an interesting zing to the sound with the addition of the violin. The sound blends and sounds well. Longineu W. Parsons III is a pretty good drummer in my opinion. A lot of the songs have the same greatness as the sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually great. Sure themes of i miss you and the girl left me can be heard, but there are other themes to the songs. Ryan talks about his dad in Life of a salesman. Ryan Key sings very well. His vocals blend with the music. The same can be said also of Sean. // 10

Overall Impression: Ocean Avenue is a cd I can listen to and never skip a track. Yellowcard have made a great cd with great lyrics and sound. A lot of people compare them to simple plan and good charlotte. I don't see any comparison. Yellowcard is way better than both those bands and have a respectable position in my cd collection. Definitely buy this cd. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2004

Sound: The key factor here is the electric violin. Sean Mackin adds the special little touch that makes yellowcard unique. It's a sort of a zing that makes you want to listen to the songs over and over again just to hear the violin part. The guitars arent much to die for here except some cool rhythyms and the neat effects. // 8

Lyrics: Guitarist/Songwriter Ryan Key has a good voice, but lacks the talent to write captivating lyrics. They're fun to listen to and easy to memorize, but have no real meaning to them. I also like it when all of the band members vocalize together on the chorus. Together, they sound great and in tune, but are missing the meaningful lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, Ocean Avenue is an album worth buying. If you like bands like Blink 182, The Ataris, and New Found Glory, this cd is right up your ally. The things that hold this album down are the lyrics and the guitars beating down the same rhythym the whole time throughout the songs. But it has its high points, like my personal favorite, inside out. Its an album woth keeping in your collection at all times. // 8

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on july 01, 2004

Sound: Everyone talks about the violin in Yellowcard, and how "original" it is. Personally, I don't think it's that great an addition. Of course, it adds a bit of depth to many of the songs, but it's not too much to shout about - they'd manage without it. That said, Yellowcard are one of the more promising pop-punk bands around currently. The sound varies from the louder songs such as "Way Away" and "Breathing" to almost emo-style ballads like "Empty Apartment". The harder stuff is the best, but the overall sound is catchy and listenable. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics generally aren't too impressive, and follow a similar theme to most bands in this sort of genre. The singer has a horrible Americanised voice, but, being American, I suppose he should be forgiven. There's the odd little sparkle, but it's generally a fairly generic rhyming kind of thing. // 6

Overall Impression: Yellowcard are definitely one of the best pop-punk bands around right now. The sound isn't too original, neither are the lyrics. But the overall outcome is very satisfying. There are plenty of decent tracks on here, perfect as background music for a party. An album I would recommend to anyone into pop-punk. If not, stay well away. If pop-punk is a burning bandwagon, Yellowcard may well be the tallest flame. // 8

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: Robo_Hobo, on august 09, 2004

Sound: Sound is good. It really depends on the song though. The heavier songs are the best, but I'm a heavy song person. The violon is great, it's makes them original. It adds a great touch to the songs. But some of the sound sucks, really Theres more songs by them I dislike then there are that I like, but overall, it's good. // 8

Lyrics: The singer has a good voice. The ltrics are pretty good,but some of them suck. I think the lyrics get an average. // 6

Overall Impression: The best songs are Way Away, Ocean Avenue and Only One. I love there heavier songs there really good, so I like it when they scream/yell in a band. I hate that most of there songs kinda stink. If I los it or it was stolen, I'd for sure buy it again. I'd hunt down whoever stole it and beat the living crud out of them. // 8

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2004

Sound: I Originally wasn't impressed with the early LP's but since I saw them at LTJ manchester I was hooked. The sound is awesome and original, Also they sound equally as impressive live as they do on their album. All the aspects of the band are spot on. The guitar is perfectly balanced with the rest of the band and the distortion isn't to tinny. Overall sound is exellent. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically I have never found an album where every song has lyrics that mean something to me and give me thoughts and feelings of different times in my life. The Lyrics match the mood that the music lays down. And the harmony in 'View From heaven' still sends chills I love it perfect place and voice to match ryan. // 10

Overall Impression: Well being a Blink fan I must admit Blink are my number one choice and their latest album is by far their best work so far however, this equals it in so many ways I listen to it every day over and over and I can't get enough. Favourite and best songs for me are 'Life Of A Salesman', 'View From Heaven', 'Believe' and 'One Year Six Months'. Overall album is awesome and if ever lost I would have a spare anyway so no need to buy again. Great Album a must buy! // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2005

Sound: I first saw Yellowcard on MTV2 and was blown away by the (of course) violin, never knowing that you could have a violin in a punk rock band. The sounds pretty good, especially the work between the guitarists and violin to get it on time. The songs structure aswell stands out different to other bands and the different effects they use on songs such as 'Life Of A Salesman' is good too. They seem to expand aswell in to different genres on songs such as 'View From Heaven' which sees a country style to it. // 8

Lyrics: Ryan's voice on this record is very strong and clean so you can hear all the words hes singing, and you can tell that he sings every word with passion. The songs seem to be very personal. Though they are supposed to tell the story of their jouney from Florida to California (or the other way round I can't rememeber), you yourself can relate to the songs in different ways. For example 'Way Away' can be seen as leaving a relationship or leaving people behind or have bullied you over the years. 'Empty Apartment' can be seen as a relationship breaking up but also someone you have asked out who has turned you down. Finally one of my favourite songs 'Only One' can be seen as being in love in a great relationship, but also being in love with someone from a distance and being to scared to tell them. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an album which can relate to anyone, and it cetainly did for me, especailly on songs such as 'Only One'. There are songs such as 'Ocean Avenue' and 'Believe' which can stick out most as the album can go from heavy 'Breathing' to lighter songs 'View From Heaven' so theres something for everyone. The only thing wrong about this album is that it could of expanded into different sounds more, as its country song 'View From Heaven' seemed to be the only braod song from a band which can do more. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2005

Sound: How has this CD managed to get so many good reviews? I can describe this annoying sound of the album in about 6 words. High pitched, annoying, and eerily homosexual. The violin adds about one thing to the sound of this band, a high pitched rythm in the background. I'll give them points for being slightly original in this world we live in, which isn't so easy anymore, but please I beg of you; get ride of the violin and be some normal emo/punk band! // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are what you'd expect from any emo band. They sing about girls, girls, and more girls. Not one original idea here, guess they maxed out on the violin idea huh? The singer's voice (yes I'm sure he has a name but who really wants to know it) is about as annoying and high pitched as the guitar. // 4

Overall Impression: Lets see what could I possibly compare this to? How about my 9 year old brother's orchestra concert? Yep that sounds about right. Terrible, utterly and complteley terrible. I like one song period, and that because the acoustic guitar is the focus of the song (rather than their oh-so original violin), which is One Year, Six Months. The rest are pretty lame. If it were stolen, well hey I wouldn't honestly care, to be honest I ask myself this question right now, would I even notice? I gave this album 2s, but that was being considerate of the fact that they are rich and famous where as I am not, all in all though, I don't see how anyone could possibly want this album. // 4

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: MIK4YC, on may 09, 2005

Sound: The sound is superb in all the songs. I don't have a personal favourite because I love every song on the CD. There are the rockier songs (e.g. Way Away, Breathing, Twentythree) and there are also the medium paced songs (e.g. Back Home, Only One, Ocean Avenue) and there the soft songs(e.g. View From Heaven, One Year Six Months). So there are songs for everyone. The violin (played by Sean Mackin) just takes the band up a level. They're truly unique. A punk band with a classical instrument. You can't go wrong with that. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are heartfelt and original. They wrote about missing their hometown (Jacksonville) in Back Home. I really loved all the lyrics in all the songs. Ryan sings pretty good but I could do better (kidding). He sings with the rhythm, always on time and I reckon he's doing a pretty good job so far as lead vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: They're a top notch band and as their major record, Ocean Avenue is a top notch album. All of those who like rock and punk music, get this album. It won't dissapoint. Most of the songs are super. The exceptional ones I have to say are Only one, Back Home, Breathing and Ocean Avenue. If this CD was stolen from me. I would buy another and put it in my safe. It's worth your money and if you've got cash, buy this CD. All I go to say is that Yellowcard will never dissapoint. Trust me. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: ror, on september 24, 2005

Sound: The sound on any Yellowcard record that you pick up is very unique due to the fact of the use of a violin on regular basis. On this album featured instruments include piano, cello, violin along with the usual guitar, bass and drums. On View From Heaven there is also a girl featured singing backing vocals. The record opens up with way away a great fast paced song with killer licks from the violin. On this album they have a diverse range of sounds. The First The Straight Up rock tracks, all of these have nice melodies and faster paced beat (Way Away, Breathing, Ocean avenue, Miles Apart, Twenty Three). Then there are some more sentimental songs with meaningful lyrics and slower and more sweet melodys (Empty Apartment, Only One, Inside Out, Believe, Back Home) and lastly a nearly country music sound [key word being nearly] (One Year Six Months, View From Heaven). Favourite tracks were Believe and View From Heaven. A lot of the songs were inspired by girls I think if you listen to the lyrics you can tell that it is. Also there is a girl in front of a sunset on the albums cover. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were deep and quite meaninful in parts, and left a fair bit to the imagination which is good in my opinion. The lyrics and the music were paired off beautifully great lyrics for great music. There are two main vocalists in the band and they play off eachother nicely. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't really compare it to many other artists because of Yellowcard's origional sound, I guess you could compare them to some pop-punk bands due to there sound in some places but they are a great origional unique band. The most impressive song on the album for me is defiantly Believe. All the instruments and vocals work perfectly together producing a great sound with some amazingly complicated (they at least sound quite complicated) violin parts. There is also in the middle of and at the end the song a message as if it was broadcast through a radio and kind of fuzzy. I loved the sound and lyrics. I hated nothing about it. // 8

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: soXlittleXtimeX, on october 18, 2005

Sound: This band does a great job of using a soft clean version of pop/punk. The thing that makes them most original is their use of a violinist. That adds to the great sound that they have. I also like the fact that they have a song that sounds a little country (a punk band with a country song, now that's different). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good an have a lot of meaning behind them. You can tell he really misses the girl he was with when he wrote the songs. The lyrics fit almost perfectly with the songs. The singer Ryan is a pretty good singer and does a good job of representing these songs for the band. // 9

Overall Impression: In comparison to their other albums I think this one is their best. I love the way it's punk music and at the same time it's got a soft feel to it. My personal favorites in this album are "Ocean Avenue," "Back Home" and "One Year, Six Months." If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another. // 9

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: fox69, on october 27, 2005

Sound: Yellowcard is a very unique band and this album was the first I've ever heard from them. I was pretty impressed by how good they were able to fit a violin in with a pop-punk sound. The band has quite a bit of talent from what I've been listening to so far. The guitars are pretty good, Ryan and ben did a good job with doing anything from strumming power chords, to acoustic ballads. Pete's bass I'd have to say was a little bit lacking, but the drumming was fantasic. Sean's violin fit in well with some of the songs. It seemed right for a violin in "Way Away" and "Only One" but a couple of songs were basically ruined by it, like "The View From Heaven" and "Life Of A Salesman." Overall it was alright sound wise. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrically I think peter and ryan are a great duo. pete can definetly write songs, mow he just has to play bass better. Ryan has the kinda voice where it sounds like a teenager whos just hittin puberty, but he can sing with it in a good way so that it sounds more mature. He really shows he can sing well in songs like "Only One" and "Believe." They sing about a lot of teenager kind of stuff, basically singing about girls ("Breathing"), breakups ("One Year, Six Months Ago"), girls ("Twenty Three"), their dad ("Life Of A Salesman"), girls ("Only One"), a little bit about a fire fighter ("Believe"), and girls again ("The View From Heaven"). Overall the singing is good, but they should sing about better stuff, girls is getting a bit old. // 8

Overall Impression: Yellowcard sound a lot like that simple plan, but for some reason I can listen to Yellowcard without feeling like I'm wasting my life away. That's good because I like them as a band and I hope they do well. Some good songs were "Way Away," "Empty Apartment," "Only One," "Believe" and "Back Home." It's hard to feel good about listening to a band that has a violin in it, but they are a good band so all the best to em. I probably wouldn't buy this again if I lost it. // 7

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: guitarista_727, on december 15, 2005

Sound: What are the factors that makes up Yellowcard and brings out its being, well, Yellowcard? Probably the most important factor is the violin. Sean Mackin shows great skill in blending a classical instrument like the violin in alternative music. With Sean Mackin's help, Yellowcard crossed genres by having a Country touch on one of their songs 'View From Heaven'. It also brought out the efficiency of the acoustics in 'One Year, Six Months.' Another factor: LP. LP is simply one of the greatest drummers I have ever heard of. So much stamina in playing the drums that he could hit cymbals and drums in a split second, thus giving the music a really great feel of alternative rock. Third factor: Benjamin Harper. Benjamin Harper is a great guitarist. What's an alternative band without someone like him? His rhythm is really catchy, and combined with Sean Mackin's violin, you get the best rhythms that you just can't get out of your head. // 9

Lyrics: Yellowcard, from my point of view, will always be a band with a message with every song they play. Like 'Way Away', for example. It tells you to go on out and do what your heart desires. Don't let anything get in the way of your dreams and goals. 'Believe', a song written about 9-11, is another song with an important message: don't waste the chance other people have risked to give you. Their songs also help you cope up with losses. 'Miles Apart' deals with times of separation, like graduating from school or moving to another place. 'View From Heaven' deals with the greatest loss a man could ever experience: death of a loved one. Ryan Key, along with Sean Mackin, brings out these songs' messages well with their voices and gives it a little emotion of what the whole song is all about. // 10

Overall Impression: Every band is unique in their own way, but Yellowcard is definitely a band that stands out and their album 'Ocean Avenue' proves that fact. All their songs are appropriate for any kind of mood you would have, so there is no downside. It doesn't matter if you like rhythm or lyrics more, as this album have a great mix of both. There's no one in this world that doesn't have a problem, so an album like 'Ocean Avenue' can help you in some way cope up with those problems. In my view, being an immigrant, Miles Apart is hands down the best song in this album. Simple, yet very catchy. I wouldn't let anyone steal the CD or get it lost, as 'Ocean Avenue' is worth every penny you for it. It doesn't matter who you are. 'Ocean Avenue' is definitely for you. // 10

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: LoveMCR, on may 11, 2007

Sound: I think the band is different than many bands out there because they went with a different style and a different instrument; a violin. I like the sound of the music and the message it seemed to project. The band seems to want to reach out to people that listen to it, not just to be famous. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were a bit to the point, but in the sense that they used the lyrics, I liked it. Some songs really made an impact on me. The lyrics and the music seemed to fit together very nicely. The feel of the music, and the words that were being heard really complied with each other to produce a sound that could really change lives. The singer seems happy-go-lucky and ecpressive in what he sings. The way he sung the parts, fit in very nicely along with what he was saying. // 9

Overall Impression: I do not belive that any band should be compared to another band on how good they are, or how they sound. The song that really reached out to me was 'Believe'. This song just got to me, I don't know why. The lyrics, the music, and the singing just fit in so well, it produced a very good end result. This album was actually borrowed from a friend at first, I liked it so much I then bought it for myself after I had uploaded it onto my computer because I liked it that much. // 9

Ocean Avenue Reviewed by: stjimmy1810, on november 08, 2007

Sound: A very unique sound. It may not be the best, but it is definitely one of a kind. Yellowcard has a style which is unique to them. It is something like pop rock, except with more heavier distortion on the electric guitars. Another unique feature of this band is that it has a violin player. considering that this band is more of a pop/rock band, with quite some distortion on the guitars, it's quite hard to fit a violin player into it. Nevertheless, Yellowcard has managed to do just that and turned it into a wonderful part of the band. // 10

Lyrics: The singer has pretty impressive singing skills. The lyrics of the song are pretty normal, about life, relationships with family members and others. Songs like 'View From Heaven' have wonderful lyrics, talking about losing someone that you love dearly and being alone in the world with out that person. Songs like 'Ocean Avenue', talks about losing contact with a person you hold dear to you but knowing and believing that someday, somewhere and somehow, you will be together again. The lyrics are wonderful. // 9

Overall Impression: As compared to other albums, this may seem like any other pop rock album at first glance. However, if you look deeper into it, you will find behind all the heavy distortion of the guitars and the loud never ending beats of the drums, you will find a very beautiful piece of art in the music. The way that the violin can fit into this band has never ceased to amaze me, as the way they are able to compose such a unique style of music. If this CD were ever lost or stolen, I would most definately buy it back again. // 10

More Yellowcard reviews rating latest review
+ Ocean Avenue Acoustc 7.5 08/20/2013