One For The Kids Review

yellowcard: One For The Kids
Release Date: Apr 17, 2001
Label: Lobster
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
Yellowcard's One for the Kids is a power punk album full of hooks and catchy choruses as strong as any of the syrupy sweet punk bands around southern California.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.6
 7.8
 9.3
One For The Kids Reviewed by: soXlittleXtimeX, on october 19, 2005

Sound: The songs off the album are pretty good considering that they weren't really big when this album came out. I like the way the violin adds more soft melody to the acoustic songs. The sound is pretty much pop-punk but with a softer feel to it. Some of it might make you want to jump up and down, and some might make you want to cry into your pillow. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty much the same as all punk bands (about girls) but there are some little stories in there. For example there is one where he talks about how they are on the road to stardom and he really wants to leave home. The lyrics fit with the songs pretty well and I had no problem unstanding what he sings. The singer also sounds pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it's a pretty good CD. If you like that softer version of punk then I suggest you get it. The acoustic songs were the real big hits for me. Some of my favorties from the album are "Rough Draft," "October Nights" and "Big Apple Heartbreak." If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another. // 9

One For The Kids Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2008

Sound: One For The kids is yellowcard's first album, and it shows. It was made back in the '90s when they were still in highschool. Obviously, they were at the standard of a record deal, but compared to the likes of Paper Walls and Lights and Sounds, The albums guitar parts and lyrics are relativley basic. It sounds as it should for any bands first album, Like a garage band. All things concidered, For a first record it is relativley well done. // 7

Lyrics: Relatively good lyrics, But again, compared to the powerful lyrics of songs like "How I Go" (Lights And Sounds, 2006) and "Shadows And Regrets" (Paper Walls, 2007), are much less imapacting, although, for a highschool band still of a high standard. One thing I CAN compliment yellowcard on, is there abilty in this record to design the music around the lyrics, having sad lyrics to a sad tune, upbeat to an upbeat tune etc. The singing on the record is relatively ameture, and again doesn't compare to the likes of there new albums, but still is above average. // 7

Overall Impression: One for the kids is, although not yellowcards best album, an album worth purchasing (If you can find it), the most impressive songs on it being, probably between rough draft (An acoustic song that is up to the standard of much of yellowcards new stuff) and Something of Value. I like the fact that I can see a lot of my band in this first album, but I dislike that the vocal part in many of these songs is not mixed well, and simply sounds like another instrument as apposed to a focal point. If it was stolen or lost, I think I would re-purchase it. I would recommend anyone who likes the traditional yellowcard style of music to purchase this album, but don't expect it to be exactly the same as Ocean Avenue, Lights And Sounds or Paper Walls. When you listen to it, don't go into it with pre-expectations. // 8

More Yellowcard reviews rating latest review
+ Lift A Sail 6.2 10/21/2014