Where We Stand Review

yellowcard: Where We Stand
Release Date: Mar 30, 2004
Label: Takeover
Genres: Punk-Pop
This is still an interesting look at Yellowcard's formative past for listeners made curious by the Capitol release.
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Where We Stand Reviewed by: spunky_chooken, on april 17, 2006

Sound: The sound is like a mix between progressive and metal. It's an interesting combination not often attempted but it works very well. The musical breaks (about a third of the album) have a proggresive sort of sound but the vocals and high energy definately ahve some metal influence. But theres a Billy Joel cover in there so they obviously listen to a bit of everything. Theres some similarities to arctic monkeys because of the high energy and good use of all the instruments. What makes the sound work really well is that it's a six piece band. vocals, guitar, rhythm guitar, drums, bass and violin and it's not like those big bands where half the band is bludging away doing hardly anything. Every single member of the band has an important role and the music would simply not work without them. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics didnt stand out much because of the singing style. It was very difficult to work out what the singer was saying. But when you actually listent he lyrics can be quite impressive "Time Will Tell" is a prime example. Every time I think about the lyrics I change my mind and get new theories. Though I feel confident the main theme is to do with the world ending, or simply the endiing of life as we know it, thouhg it also describes some sort of battle. Some of the lyrics arent so impressive though. The lyrics describe a range of topics and arent particularly cliche, though they arent really a reason to buy the album. // 7

Overall Impression: I haven't really heard any thing like it but its a brilliant, high energy, clever album. The best songs are "Time Will Tell" and "One The Brink." I'd recommend it to anyone who loves energy and bands that aren't vocally based. I love this album and couldn't live without it. // 10

More Yellowcard reviews rating latest review
+ Ocean Avenue Acoustc 7.5 08/20/2013