Close To The Edge Review

yes: Close To The Edge
Release Date: Sep 13, 1972
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Album Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Pop/Rock
In 1972, Close To The Edge was a flawless masterpiece.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.8
 9.5
Close To The Edge Reviewed by: skyshroudclaim, on july 21, 2008

Sound: The overall sound could be described as a stadium sized sound with a lot of power behind it with ocasional folkyness. It has the definite '70s sound to it, so kind of raw but this just makes the albumn that much more epic. Close to the Edge begins with the sound of birds and chimes which alludes to some of the most unorthadox music you will ever hear with Steve Howes scratchy shred guitar, Chris Squires climbing bass walk, Rick Wakemans insanely fast cromatic shred and behind everything Bill Brufords smooth jazz beat. All of the craziness in the begining leads to many other things but the albumn only gets better. // 9

Lyrics: If you actually sit down and read Jon Andersons lyrics you might think to yourself what the hell was this guy smoking when he wrote this shit? Personally I love Jon Andersons lyrical style on Close to the Edge as well as Tales from a Topographic Oceans because they are so open to interpretation. They sound like he just took a walk outside after an uplifing life experiece and started writing about it and throwing in everything about trees, rivers, and everything in nature. He even says in an interview I read one time that he is very influenced by nature, just walking outside, smelling the flowers and appreciating all that is nature. Which is BAD ASS! Jon Anderson as a singer never fails I think he has one of the most beautiful voices in prog rock, ulike Geddy lee's high scratchy voice, Greg Lakes low rocky voice he has his own style and I love the way he accents words. The lyrics in my opinion fit in just right with the theme of the music becuase the music sounds like you could be walking through a forest and listening to it. // 10

Overall Impression: As a classic 1972 epic masterpiece the whole albumn clocks in at around 38 minutes with it three songs, Close to the Edge being the longest, followed by And you and I, and Siberian Khautra. After listening to the albumn a couple of times I realized that it was an instant classic prog rock albumn and every prog albumn I listen to afterward is compared to Close to the Edge. If you look at everything else that was being written in that time of 1972 Close to the Edge was definetly ground breaking and way out there but fantastic in every way. I think it's Yes' best albumn for sure it never dissapoints. The most impressive peice is definetly Close to the Edge clocking in at almost 19 minutes it's an epic masterpiece in itself with the reoccuring themes and solos. The part in the middle of the song with just keyboards and vocals for about 5 minutes is what made me love the song, it's so ambient. I think the only thing about the albumn it lacked was maybe a little more of Wakemans mastermind keyboards. If this albumn were taken away from me, considering I listen to it top to bottom almost every day, I would go out right away and buy a new one plus an extra just in case plus I would tell whoever stole it from me to listen to it thouroghly. // 10

Close To The Edge Reviewed by: ARS0NiiST, on april 27, 2009

Sound: If there were ever an album that I would say changed my life it would definitely be Close to the Edge. Close to the edge is the fifth studio album by progressive rock band Yes and is nothing short of a masterpiece. The album features 3 songs Close to the Edge, And You and I, and Siberian Khatru. Don't be fooled by the number of songs this album is epic in fact the shortest song, Siberian Khatru, is nearly 9 minutes long. One of the most amazing things about this album is that even today it's still so original. Compared to modern music it's refreshing due entirely to the fact that all the musicians are so talented and creative. I defy you to listen to the first song and not fall in love with Yes. // 9

Lyrics: In my opinion Close to the edge has some of the most interesting and mysterious lyrics. "A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace, And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace, And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar, Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour" with lyrics like these it's hard not to get hooked right of the bat.I have never been the sing along kind of guy but I found it hard not to sing along with Jon Anderson through out the whole album. Anderson is one of those singers that no matter what he sings about he's amazing. // 9

Overall Impression: To be honest I hated Yes before I found this album. I bought it and gave it a listen and probably listened to it 20 or 30 times since then. I believe that this album is one of the best of the 70's. There is no way to put in words how good this album is the only way you will understand is by buying it as soon as possible and hearing for yourself. If this album were lost or stolen I would buy it again and again even if it were $100. // 10

Close To The Edge Reviewed by: schizoid man77, on february 28, 2007

Sound: This is the last album Yes made with drummer Bill Bruford and is definately one of the best. Though there are only three songs on the album (all over ten minuetes long) they are mabey some of the bands greatest displays of talent. With Jon Andersons unique vocals, Steve Howes amazing guitar, and Rick Wakemans incredible keyboards make all the songs a gem. Before I listened to Close to the edge I had know Idea a band could get so musically talented, and of course I was wrong. // 10

Lyrics: The 18 minuete long song close to the edge has some of the most meaningful and mysterious lyrics ever written by Jon Anderson. And the song "And You And I" have beutiful vocals by Anderson, along with his harmonies with Steve Howe and Chris Squire on Siberian Khatru. // 9

Overall Impression: There is no greatest Yes album, but if I had to choose I would put it in my top three (along with Relayer and Going for the one). Though all the songs are wonderful the best is obviously Close to the edge, with its amazing guitar intro, passionate vocals, and excellent organ solo, all four pars of the song are definately worth killing 20 minuetes for. If I were to complain about anything it would be the guitar solo at the end of Siberian Khatru, but is easily made up for in the rest of the album. // 10

Close To The Edge Reviewed by: aenimafist, on june 26, 2008

Sound: Its the very beginning of the album and you hear sound effects to intro the main break in. Then all of a sudden, a wall of bamboozling guitaring and mega fast keyboardsslams into your face. You just got owned by Yes. Close to the Edge is literally a musical revolution. To put it simply Close to the Edge is a thinking man's album. The soundtrack to the eclectic. Rick Wakeman's keys and Jon Anderson's signiture vocal sound add to the grandeur brought forth by Steve Howe's intriguing riffage. The two pieces with movements, Close to the Edge and And You And I, are truely epics to remember. Each movement is unique in one way or another which makes each part of the listening experience special. Siberian Khatru, which is also a lengthly song has one of the coolest riffs to begin a song in the history of rock. // 10

Lyrics: Jon Anderson is one of those vocal connoissuers who has a signature sound that could be recognized by anyone. Each movement of the two epics has its own set of lyrics almost making there be four individual songs in one. The lyrics seem to be about someone who is "Close To The Edge" and about to fall off but manages to keep their ground. Siberian Khatru has lyrics so cosmic I cant' decipher them right away but Jonny boy makes his appearances in the perfect sections of each song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is better than Fragile if you want to know the truth. I know Roundabout and Long Distance Runaround are on that one but despite the popularity power there Close to the Edge reigns as Yes' number one in my book. I just like knowing that while Yes are very technically advanced they still do simple things like at the beginning of And You And I where the D-major chord formation is just moved up and down the neck. Complications and simplicity. Close to the Edge the song is easily the best track on the album. I like the Get Up Get Down movement. The piano stuff with the organ is just tantalizing. // 10

Close To The Edge Reviewed by: TheLlamaMan, on april 13, 2009

Sound: Close to the Edge is progressive rock band Yes' fifth studio album. The album consists of only three tracks: "Close To The Edge", "And You And I", and "Siberian Khatru". The shortest song is almost 9 minutes, and the albums title track clocks over 18 minutes. Right from the start you're bombarded by complicated time signatures and rhythms, and although the people who really pay attention and get into the music will get the most from it, it's also attractive to casual listeners. However, some people may find the band to be making the music too complex, which may push them away from listening. The band makes great use of all their instruments, and each part fit's perfectly with the rest. // 9

Lyrics: Like most progressive rock, it isn't always easy to determine the meaning behind the lyrics. Although most of the time you really get a sense of deepness to the lyrics, occasionally it sounds as if they are just random words formed together. Yes is often criticized for Jon Anderson's high pitched vocals, but in this album his voice suit's the music and really helps make it what it is. At first the singing might seem hard to listen to, but as you hear it more and more you begin to really enjoy it. // 8

Overall Impression: Yes was and will always be one of the most influential bands in progressive rock, right up there with King Crimson and Genesis. Each time you listen to a song you notice something that you didn't the last time and your appreciation for the album grows. The songs are constantly changing, and so even though the songs are long, they aren't boring to listen to. This album is worth it, even if you're only getting three songs, because each one is a masterpiece that will leave you wanting to listen to it again. // 9

More Yes reviews rating latest review
+ Heaven & Earth 4.7 07/31/2014