Drama Review

artist: yes date: 12/17/2007 category: compact discs
yes: Drama
Release Date: Aug 18, 1980
Label: Atlantic
Genres: British Psychedelia, Album Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Pop/Rock, Arena Rock
Drama is not only an interesting sample of 'progressive' rock, but features a bit of ironic wit as well.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Drama Reviewed by: Big Tommy P, on december 17, 2007

Sound: The sound and quality of this album are outstanding. I have the vinyl, and am listening to it as I write this, and I have to say, it sounds better than any CD in my collection (a big statement, as I have nearly 200). The sound of the band is similar to that of it's 1978 predecessor, Tormato. However, what will put many Yes fans off this album, is the fact that not only is "Classic" keyboardist Rick Wakeman absent, but so is vocalist Jon Anderson (the only album without him), but I must say, there is absolutley no reason why any Yes fan should dislike this album. The songs are extremely well written, with no trace of perfunction or ineffervescence. Guitarist Steve Howe showcases some of his best work, especially on "Into The Lens", bassist Chris Squire shows why he is regarded as one of the premier bassists of rock, with such and idiosyncratic sound and style, best heard on "Does It Really Happen?" and especially "Tempus Fugit". Drummer Alan White is here, as he was for every album from Tales and onward, doing a fantastic job as usual. Geoff Downes (The Buggles) is Wakeman's replacement, who, although not as talented as Wakeman, is still a great keyboardist, he is like John Rutsey to Neil Peart, to all you Rush fans. // 10

Lyrics: Trevor Horn is the vocalist for the record. He was in the Buggles, along with Downes, and is a great singer. Sure, he's no Jon Anderson, and he never claimed to be either, his voice is a little deeper, and contains less vibrato than Anderson, but don't let that criticism discourage you. The lyrics are typical Yes style; spacy, oblique, but less mystical and philosophical. Of course, Anderson wrote better lyrics for some songs (eg, Turn of the Century, and And You And I), but Horn does a good job as well. The lyrics comply with the music in a moment of pure, orgasmic harmony. But therein lies the difference; now this is the easiest way to explain: think of The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, all the way to Tormato, as organic. Think of Drama as mechanic. It has an aura or artificiacality and ultimate synthesis, but this has all worked for this album. // 10

Overall Impression: I have described how it compares to previous albums, but in terms of later albums, like 90125 and Big Generator. It is massively different, and can even disguise itself with the previous albums. The later albums have a more synth vibe, rather than keyboard, and generally sound like your more typical '80s music. The most impressive songs are Machine Messiah, Into the Lens, and Tempus Fugit. Into the Lens contains some of Steve Howe's best guitar work (arguably the best). There is nothing I dislike about the album, I have honestly tried and searched, but I cannot find anything. The length is perfect, about 37 minutes, so there are no fillers, unlike some previous albums (mainly Yes, The Yes Album and Tormato, but they really only have 1). The other thing I love is that this particular lineup lasted for only one album, unlike other bands, they didn't push it. If all my Yes albums were lost/stolen, Drama would be the first to retrieve/replace of them all. This is a good album, believe me. // 10

More Yes reviews rating latest review
+ Heaven & Earth 4.7 07/31/2014