Odyssey Review

yngwie malmsteen: Odyssey
Released: Jan 1988
Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Guitar Virtuoso, Neo-Classical Metal
Label: Polydor
"Odyssey" is a more subdued, polished collection seemingly designed for mainstream radio airplay. It shows little difference in approach from Malmsteen's previous output.
 8.1
 8.7
 7.5
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this album:
Odyssey Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 06, 2006

Sound: This CD is definetly awesome. It starts out with Rising Force, which is one of their best songs ever, and it has tons of other really awesome face melting instant classics like "Now Is The Time," "Riot In The Dungeons" and "Faster Than The Speed Of Light." Definetly this CD is great, go out and buy it! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the CD are pretty cool. I don't care if some people think they're cheesy. They aren't deep, but they're cool. And they're singer has a really cool voice, but this is the only CD that this singer is on which bugs me, but this is the best Yngwie album singing-wise. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't really compare to any other artists, because Yngwie is one of the best guitarists around. The most impressive song on here is the insanely fast arpeggio solo in "Rising Force." I learned it but it was really hard. It this CD were lost or stolen, it would be okay because I have the CD downloaded onto my iTunes which is on my computer, so I could just burn another copy. Just kidding I would buy it again in a heartbeat because it's so awesome. // 10

Odyssey Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2005

Sound: This is the fourth album from Yngwie Malmsteen and you can tell that this was just another '80s metal album. Nothing new here. Just the same old metal sound, you know. The big drum kits, fast guitars (and I mean fast, the bass playing the same notes, and what else, keyboard). This album didn't do anything for me, of course I hate '80s metal hair bands, they just all sound the same. Yngwie was different from them with the first album. What happen here? The only thing that I can say good about the album is Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow) voices sounds great and so does Yngwie guitars solo, when he plays them. // 8

Lyrics: The best thing about the lyrics is that Yngwie didn't write them, and then there the bad thing too, they were writen by Turner and they are mostly love songs, but there are other songs on there too. I want to like the lyrics but they just don't give me the trill that bands now days have. // 8

Overall Impression: This album sound like a Van Helen album. The songs that I like were the first song "Rising Force," "Bite The Bullet" and the last two songs. I love Turner voice on this album, but hate the lyrics. I love the guitars solos, but hate that they are few and short. If indeed the album was stolen from me (which I think want happen) then I just go on with my life, the same goes for if I lost it. Me, I would get another Yngwie album and go on with my life. But that me. // 6

Odyssey Reviewed by: Rallad, on february 09, 2011

Sound: The album starts off with the dramatic 'Rising Force', right down from the ominous keyboards to instrumental tracks at the end of the album, there is plenty of creative (did I say creative? I meant genius!) 80s-esque heavy metal. Everything sounds really good together, not only are the ideas mixing together like a perfectly blended cocktail, but the shade of technicality really is the cherry on the cake. Malmsteen's fretwork lends some GREAT solos to this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are overall very complementary to the music and the vocals are performed very skilfully. Although the music is quite technical, the vocals being motivational and powerful are extremely effective being very motivational and soothing as well as very powerful giving the heavy bits a good kick. // 9

Overall Impression: This album should be an example and inspiration to every heavy metal musician out there. Not only are there so many great riffs, but the whole song-structure is executed masterfully and rendered very catchy too. Overall, it's plain terrific and it never gets old...my personal favourites are...well to be honest each song is as bold as bold as the next...there isn't a single track which isn't out of line. // 9

Odyssey Reviewed by: dumbface12, on july 31, 2012

Sound: FIRST, you have the synths come in, then you hear drums on top of that, and then out of nowhere you hear Yngwie Malmsteen playing the main riff of "Rising Force". And, if by that point you haven't crapped yourself then I don't know what will. But, seriously this album is pretty good, but very 80's. If you listen to it from "Rising Force" to "Memories" you'll know this. Now, the band's sound is cliche for an Yngwie Malmsteen album. Yngwie's guitar tone sounds almost the same on every track, the bass which is also played by Yngwie (except for on a few tracks which Bob Daisley plays bass on) can't even be heard. The keyboards is on most tracks but mostly it plays rhythm in the background with a few exceptions when it plays a solo after Yngwie solos. And, finally the drums don't stand out, the drums are not bad but not that great. The music itself is pretty good. Some great riffs are on this album especially the main riff from "Riot In The Dungeons". The solos are once again cliche for an Yngwie album, but nevertheless still great. Which considering prior to the album he got in a car accident and got in a coma or something of the sort means that God himself couldn't stop Yngwie from pumping out fast great solos. // 6

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics are really poppy, as in they could be confused for pop lyrics if you just read them without the music (with some exceptions). For example, the chorus to "Now Is The Time" goes - "Oh now is the time/ Feeling your heart so close to mine/ Oh I want your touch need you so much/ Now is the time for our love". There's only two songs of the album that have lyrics that are not inspired by love or about a girl and those are "Rising Force" and "Riot In The Dungeons". "Rising Force" is about a rising force, the song doesn't really have a meaning. Meanwhile, "Riot In The Dungeons" is about fighting for your freedom. The lyrics do fit well with the songs, especially because of Joe Lynn Turner's voice. He is by far one of the greatest singers and this album supports that statement. The vocals on "Now Is The Time" make you go, "Wow, I think I need to go the brain surgeon because that just blew my mind!" As a final note for the lyrics, the record company wanted Yngwie to go for a more pop sound so the lyrics were meant to be pop, so don't bash Joe Lynn Turner for his pop lyrics on the album. // 9

Overall Impression: In the end, this album is very 80's hair metal so if you don't like that you probably won't like this album. If you do like 80's hair metal you can add this to your Classic Albums list, because this has some great tracks ("Rising Force", "Riot In The Dungeons", "Deja Vu", "Now Is The Time", "Faster Than The Speed Of Light"). What I love about this album is that it has great fast solos by Yngwie, has great riffs, and has amazing vocals by Joe Lynn Turner. What I hate is that people don't give this album a chance. Yes, it is meant to be a more pop album. Yes, the solos are cliche Yngwie solos. Yes, it is very 80's, but nonetheless it is still a rockin' album, with great solos, and amazing vocals. Finally if I lost this or if it was stolen, I would buy this again. // 10

More Yngwie Malmsteen reviews rating latest review