Rising Force Review

9.3
 8.8
 9.7
Rising Force Reviewed by: a real DEAD one, on january 04, 2006

Sound: Simply amazing! Yngwie Malmsteen is such an amazing guitarist and the music he plays (Neo Classical Metal) is just beautiful. This is the kind of music you would only understand if you were a guitar player. This album shook the grounds of guitar playing forever, it opend a new catagory for guitar and just kicked bad guitar players in the face. Ynngwie has just added to a form of muci and widened its horizons and pretty much opend it for other types of musicians. // 10

Lyrics: If I'm not mistaken I do not think that there are any lyrics on this album. Other like fire and ice have lyrics. The lryics in the other alums arent that good but hey with his guitar playin whos complaining. Yet the lyrics aren't that bad so it desereves some credit. // 7

Overall Impression: No guitarist can shred like Yngwie Malmsteen its very unique, this topic is of course arguable their are some really nasty guitar players back then like Eddie Van Halen. The most impressive songs on the album or my favorites are Black Star and one of the fastest and most beautiful songs I've ever heard Far Beyond The Sun. I love everything in his music nothing to hate if you undertsand it. I would buy this record again it's just amazing every single song on it. I love it. I would suggest buying this record before any other Ygnwie Malmsteen record. // 10

Rising Force Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 02, 2006

Sound: When I had first heard of Yngwie Malmsteen, I thought he was just another shredder. I was so incredibly wrong! The sheer technical prowess and his neo-classical influences, that are more prevalent on this album than any other, are not only impressive but, his ability to remain metal without simply electrifying his guitar and playing a natural harmonic scale is possibly the most amazing thing on this album. If any one person could claim ownership to a scale, Allan Holdsworth would get the minor pentatonic and yngwie would get the natural harmonic scale (his mastery of this mode is one of the most spectacular peices of musicianship I have ever heard. // 10

Lyrics: When their are lyrics, they are so far in left-field it is almost hilarious but, the vocalist that Yngwie employed for this album has his own incredible musical talent to overshadow the corniness of his somewhat obsurd lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall the entire album is very, very tight and well put together. Jans Johansson and Barriemore Barlow and both incredible musicians, Johansson rivals Yngwie himself in technical skill and Barlow is a very solid and talent drummer that is very underappreciated. Personally I, and many other guitarists believe the Black Star and Far Beyond the Sun showcase his amazing technique but, I really like Little Savage and Now Your Ships Are Burned are two very strong recordings. If this album were stolen(unlikely) I would find the little asshole who took my album and kick his sorry clepto ass back to whatever fucking whole his kind are spawned in. // 10

Rising Force Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2004

Sound: This is probobly one of my favorite albums of all time. Yngwie bring neo-clasical guitar back with a meaning. The way he plays allows you to hear every note crisply unlike some other shreaders who only care about speed. I also have a dvd of him in a concert and it is one of the most amazing things i have ever seen. // 10

Lyrics: You dont focus on the lyrics as much as the guitar thats the only downfall. // 6

Overall Impression: One of the best albums i have ever heard. Up there with all the Hendrix. Black star is a great song i highly recomend it. I would buy two the first ime justst incase i lost one. Then there would be no period where i didnt have it. The thing i have to love the most out of this cd would be the tallent that is portrayed. He is still young when he did this. And if you hear him now your mind will be blown away. // 10

Rising Force Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2003

Sound: Malmsteen's debut album and it's wonderful although it's recorded pretty quietly. 1 or 2 of the 8 songs on here get repetative but that's easy to get past because it sounds so cool. And the other bad thing was the cheesy 80's singer on as above so below and now your ships are burned. The good points are Yngwie's innovations to guitar. No one had shredded like he did before this album came out. Sure there was EVH but Malmsteen did dark and faster shredding that makes your spine quiver and your hair stand up. // 8

Lyrics: I'm gonna say the lyrics were ok. At best I might be generous with a three. This 80's singer who's singing about burning ships isn't exactly my idea of good. // 6

Overall Impression: Despite the crappy singer and lyrics on the 2 songs that have them this album is great. I love it. It opened up a door for all the Shredders, Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker, Michael Angelo, Joe Stump and more. Yngwie's guitar/keyboard duels are insane and awesome on this album, he's very talented and most everything is impressive about this album. If I lost I would definitely buy it again, how ever my sources tell me that pretty much every Malmsteen CD after this was pretty much the same thing over and over, so I wouldn't bother getting anything but the original unless you just love it to death. // 8

Rising Force Reviewed by: himesiv, on may 14, 2004

Sound: I like how he used acoustic guitar and electric in harmony. It gave a good sound, and it also showed his skill with the guitar. It was like a symphony. Malmsteen has good guitar pieces on this album. // 10

Lyrics: There were only two songs that had lyrics. Other than that, he did good in that department too. I'm not a big fan of lyrics in particular, but if you have good writings and if you have some symbolizome than, you got me. I'm more into the guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: It was an excellent CD. Pretty good for a solo debut. He got my money. I highly suggest this CD if you like speed metal with a whole lotta guitar solos. // 10

Rising Force Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2005

Sound: When I first heard Little Savage is nearly wet myself, Yngwie is not only the master of shred and all things virtuoso but, his neo-classical skills are matched only by the likes of Randy Rhoads. The overall quality is very good for the time it was produced. His technique is the stuff of legend. No one can out-shred Yngwie. // 10

Lyrics: Although the Vocals were far and few (come on its Yngwie) they still packed a significant punch. Though the content is limited to stereo-typical Man-O-War stuff, the vocalist (god bless his shunned and emasculated soul) has suprising skill. // 5

Overall Impression: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Tony MacAlpine, and many others have followed in Yngwie's glorious steps and none have come close to his speed or presicion. Black Star, Far Beyond the Sun, Litte Savage, Icarus' Dream Suite Op. 4, oh it's like choosing between children, I can't do it. This record has ruined music for me. I can't listen to anything but, shred without dissing the guitarist. // 10

Rising Force Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 06, 2006

Sound: I first heard this album a few years ago when a teacher at my high school told me about Yngwie (where at the time, I was idolizing Van Halen & Randy Rhoads). He first started me out with the intro to "Black Star" which was awesome, and then, since his CD was old (and from the original release date of 1984) I heard the first half of "Far Beyond The Sun". Insatantly, Yngwie became my idol-the sound, the technique, and sheer genious of his playing just overwhelmed me. This album is probably almost as innovative & influencial to the guitar as Van Halen's first album. The way the tunes were composed in a style called "neo-classical shred" is just mind-blowing to this day. This album was a huge barrier-breaking masterpiece that opened up the world to shred and without it, the guitar most certainly would not be what it is today. // 10

Lyrics: This album is mostly instrumental: 6 out of the 8 songs are just pure music. However, the vocal tracks seem effective, considering Yngwie's from Sweden, so there's a cetain corny aspect to the lyrics that are reminiscent of power metal. Jeff Scott Soto does a great job on this album and has an incredible range. // 7

Overall Impression: In terms of shred, this is arguable the equivalent of the bible for the genre. Blistering soloing with complicated riffage. As far as tunes go, they all sem to stand out equally, but my favourites are "Far Beyond The Sun", "Evil Eye" & "Now Your Ships Are Burned". All with excellent examples of Yngwie's guitar technique and compositional skills. There's nothing bad I have to say about this album except for maybe it's short length. Being an LP at the time of it's release, it's only about 40 minutes long, but well worth listening time and tima again. // 9

Rising Force Reviewed by: franciscanavan, on january 04, 2007

Sound: This debut solo album from the then 21-year-old heralded a frightening guitar talent that countered the Eddie Van Halen school of boozy, rock 'n' roll flash with impossibly speedy neo-classical runs, a blur of alternate picking and lightning harmonic-minor arpeggios. Yngwie got his first "big break" by sending a tape into a guitar magazine! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very Power Metal and are sometimes very cheesy. Great singer though. He has a fabulous range. But the lyrics are a let down. I want to write more but you can't really write in the lyrics section when really this albums all about one man Yngwie Malmsteen, the guitarist. // 8

Overall Impression: This album pratically created Neo-Classical music. We had Ritchie Blackmore doing it but more subtly and noone really knew that it was classical runs. But this man, who takes a huge influence from the Man In Black plays these classical runs with more precision and more speed. This album encouraged me too look out for any other Neo-Classical guitarists and I'm glad I bought it now. It's made me completely revamp my style and the way I play. But now I can't really listen to ohter music without there being a fast guitarist! // 10

Rising Force Reviewed by: Warheart1188, on january 05, 2007

Sound: Astonishing! For and early '80s album, this is a breath of fresh air. Yngwie combines the elements of rock music with the compositional skills of Bach, Paganini, Tchaikovsky and Vivaldi into a new form of rock/metal: neo classical shred. Yngwie was amazing and known for his work with Steeler and Alcatrazz but his Grammy Nominated Solo debut is simply amazing. This album ranks high above all of his other cds. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics wise, only two songs have any but they are good songs about mythical, Viking-esque lore and Malmsteen can write some good lyrics. This album focuses on instrumentals but Jeff Scott Soto has an amazing voice for this style. // 8

Overall Impression: No instrumental shred album can compare to this. This is the bible of shred guitar. Malmsteen started the whole 'Bach 'N' Roll' craze in the '80s and if it wasn't for him, we'd probably never have Tony MacAlpine, Jason Becker, definitely Vinnie Moore, Michael Romeo and me along with a plethora of others. The beauty of this album is simply breath taking. From the soft sweet sound of Icarus Dream Suite to the fury and expression of Far Beyond The Sun all the way to the rockin' Evil Eye, this album screams genius. // 10

More Yngwie Malmsteen reviews rating latest review