Trilogy Review

yngwie malmsteen: Trilogy
Release Date: 1986
Label: Polydor
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Guitar Virtuoso, Neo-Classical Metal
Malmsteen's second best album after Rising Force, Trilogy finds him delving wholeheartedly into fantastic, medieval themes and lyrical imagery.
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Trilogy Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 10, 2006

Sound: Another gem in the world of guitar legend Yngwie Malmsteen. This is one of his earlier works and the sound is very evident of that. I got it at some little independant CD shop and found it randomly, but was very eager to pick it up considering I has previously heard some of his first albums. A lot of Yngwie's signature playing can be heard on this album. His neo-classical shred is among some of it's finest on this record. Phrygian modal playing and the harmonic minor-based stuff that's been a trademark of his playing can be heard very much, and the song writing is much more mature in terms of Yngwie's earlier albums (ex.: Rising Force & Marching Out). Yngwie fans will surely recognize his style and not be disappointed by this album. // 10

Lyrics: Yngwie's lyrical composing, as I mentioned before, matured very much much on this album and seem to have a lot more meaning than most of his lyrics. Of course, there are a few instrumental tracks on this album as well, but the vocals are a step up from his earlier outings. Mark Boals seems to have a higher range than most of the singers that Yngwie has enlisted for his band over the years. The vocal melodies suit the themes and feelings of the songs (obviously because Yngwie composes and arranges everything himself) and couldn't be anymore suitable for the likes of this album. // 8

Overall Impression: This album doesn't stack up to "Rising Force" if you're an instrumental fan like me, but if songs with a good vocal melody and surprisingly catchy lyrics are your thing, then this album will not disappoint you. Furthermore, and on a not so surprising note, the best track on this album is inarguably, the title track, labeled "Trilogy Suite Opus 5". A seven-minute instrumental that's very reminiscent of "Far Beyond The Sun" on his first solo album that is an excellent example of the kind of playing and composing skills that made Yngwie famous in the first place. Plus, another, softer piece called "Crying" also seemes very effective and is actually quite beautiful & heartfelt, showing that Yngwie is capable of writing much more than just your average shred-fest music. The best vocal performances easily come from the songs "Fury", "Liar", and the very pop-styled "You Don't Reember, I'll Never Forget". All in all, Yngwie fans should be very pleased with this album, especially if they're looking for something to fall back on from his back catalogue, before he started writing the poppier sounding material that was characteristic of his albums during the 90's up until "Alchemy". If this album was stolen from me, I wouldn't be surprised because the songs are very impressive and provocative-especially for guitarists and I would definitely take the time and money to get a new one. // 9

More Yngwie Malmsteen reviews rating latest review