All Our Kings Are Dead Review

8.8
 9.1
 8.5
All Our Kings Are Dead Reviewed by: robbie-rocks, on july 13, 2010

Sound: The band have come along way in the past year, their debut album All Our Kings Are Dead shows this. Their sound is more or less the same as what you hear on the EP but add in more reverb on the vocals and maybe strings in a few songs aswell as gang vocals. The album uses alot of pop hooks which is something Young Guns are good at. All the songs are strong, none of them seem to be there to just fill the space although I'm not too keen on the re-recording of Weight Of The World. But that may grow on me over time. // 10

Lyrics: Gustav Wood is a extraordinary lyricist and vocalist in my opinion. The lyrics on some songs dwell on him not having his father as a child. That put off a listener, but in no way is he whining about this, if anything writing songs on this subject has helped the band. For example the lyrics in the bridge of the album opener Sons Of Apathy. "My Father was an oak, the earth moved when he spoke. My father conquered seas but was not there for me" The line above flows so well with the rest of the instruments, everything on the album in fact feels natural. // 8

Overall Impression: I wouldn't compare Young Guns to any other artist, to me they're one of those few unique bands that have their own sound. I would recommend listening to these songs off the album to get into the band; Crystal Clear, Winter Kiss & Weight Of The World. All of which have been singles. As I probably mentioned before, one of the things I love about this band is the vocal melody and the guitar lines and how it works off each other. As well as the poppy melodies used in their break downs. The only thing I don't like about this album is the re-recording of Weight Of The World, it's lost it's raw edge and doesn't feel as crazy as the original. Wasn't necessary, but it's still cool I suppose. If the album was stolen or lost, I would probably buy it again, just because I feel YG need the support and all that jazz. Hope this helped. :) // 7

All Our Kings Are Dead Reviewed by: highkingnm, on august 18, 2010

Sound: The band have a distinct sound that flows throughout the album. With only 5 weeks to write-my expectation weren't great, but I liked the single's so it was worth a try. Let's just say it's one of the best albums I have. Dark and Emoish at times, but good. It often lends the lyrics to modern society and Gustav Wood's(Vocal)past. But if the modern society bit was true-we should be worried. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are dark and can be a bit depressing at times, but non-the-less, they are good. Songs like 'Sons Of Apathy' and 'Weight Of The World' have dark twists with lines like,"My father conquered seas/But was not there for me" and "The weight of the world is a burden I can't bear". Wood's vocals link well with the music and make for a dark mood. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an exellent album and one of the best of new artists this year. Perhaps the only contest from new artists comes from Francesqa-We Lived and Kids In Glass Houses-Dirt. About five songs really stuck out as paving the way-'Sons of Apathy', 'Crystal Clear', 'Weight Of The World', 'Winter Kiss' and 'At The Gates'. Probably the only problem is that Kids In Glass Houses-Dirt pips it occasionally-so I normally listen to that. However If Dirt was lost/damaged-I wouldn't get another copy-because I have this album until I decide to get Dirt again-or mabye I'll just forget about Dirt. // 9

All Our Kings Are Dead Reviewed by: Dobbsie, on november 22, 2010

Sound: Young Guns to me are what people consider as an excessble Metal/Rock band. Their music conists of some brilliant instrumental work; heavy riffs, great melodic guitar parts, disorted bass and some powerful drum grooves followed by some awesome clean vocals. The album sounds very personal and has some strong religious reference. People probably would have guessed this be looking at previous ablum covers from their EP's; All Our Kings Our Dead's album cover has a Lion wearing a crown of thorns implying that the album or the band is religous maybe? The sound that the band offer has a similar sound to bands like Funeral For A Friend however -wihtout any offense itended- Young Guns seem to show more balls from their sound. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said before, the album seems personal and like most bands, the moajority of whatever feelings they are expressing are through the lyrcis. I think the lyrics against the gritty heavy riffing gives the album a very dark vibe, which I love! The singer's voice is what I think makes the band excessable. The tonal quality of his voice is some what refreshing to me ears. What I mean by that is that there are a lot of bands with screamers and a lot of singers like Tom Delonge, Aled Phillips or Patrick Stump etc. Don't get me wrong I like music from all of these bands but Young Guns' singer is a little bit more straight up power vocals kind of guy. // 9

Overall Impression: I personally think that Young Guns stand in a league of their own. They're a Metal/Rock band that can appeal to a lot more people as oppose to just Metal lovers. A particularly great song from the album is one of the singles, "Weight Of The World". This includes some catchy melodic guitar parts, an epic chorus and a catchy little guitar solo, not too complex, but some nice legato runs and pinch harmonics that suit the whole vibe of the song. "Winter Kiss" is also a great track. I think this is one of those songs that stand out on a personal level. The songs' general tone and vibe is almost a lot more dark and haunting than the rest of the album. It's introduced with a smooth string section accompanied by a piano based on the melody line in the chorus which I think is a great way to start the track. The ending track "Beneath The Waves" finishes off the album brilliantly; a stringe dissonant introduction that leads into an epic melodic introduction which seems to be a well loved trademark of the bands music! What I love about the album and really any of the bands work is the production. Despite the extra vocal effects like mass delay etc. and the odd string sections the sound is pretty raw and doesn't have much to it. It's easy for them to pull off their sound live, I gaurantee that if you go to see them, you'll practically get the orignally from the album...Just live! It's not really what I hate about it, it's just I'd like to hear in future a slightly more up-lifting song from the band, the general vibe you get when listening to the album IS just bleak, dark and haunting with some epic quality! However, you can't blame them, whatever you wright HOWEVER you wright your music is your own perosnal input and if these are the feelings being portrayed then why just wright an upbeat song for no reason? I recommend this album to you! There is not a single song that I hate, great musicality and just a great album in my eyes. All the best! Daniel // 10

More Young Guns reviews rating latest review