Young The Giant Review

young the giant: Young The Giant
Released: Oct 26, 2010
Genre: Indie Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Roadrunner
Critically acclaimed by many magazines album. The band's sound is a softer alternative style, accompanied by Sameer Gadhia's signature vocals with most of the songs well-written.
 7.9
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Young The Giant Reviewed by: chaoticfables, on may 16, 2012

Sound: Young The Giant are an alternative band from California, formerly known as The Jakes. They're charting well, and the album has been critically acclaimed by many magazines and even Morrissey. The band's sound is a softer alternative style, accompanied by Sameer Gadhia's signature vocals. Although it has moments of lackluster lyrics and awkward falsettos, most of the songs are quite well-written and their self-titled debut isn't a bad album at all. The guitars aren't distorted too much and rely on soft strumming, but there are a few memorable riffs. My favorites are St. Walker's opening sequence and the rhythm pattern to "I Got". Not a bad sound at all. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics were perhaps one of the let downs of the album. The vocalist, Sameer Gadhia, has a fantastic singing voice. There's no doubt about that. However, some of the lyrics don't do the music (and singer) justice. Namely the closing track "Guns Out". One of my favorite tracks on this album, "Guns Out", was utterly ruined by the unoriginal lyrics (Looking up at the big screen/Well am I wrong or am I right?) and there aren't many memorable lyrics that stick out from the crop. In fact, chances are you've probably heard some of the lyrics elsewhere - it will sound familiar, trust me. // 6

Overall Impression: My favorite track from the album is "I Got" and "Garands", and I also enjoyed "St. Walker" a lot. However, "Apartment" stood out from the rest; it has a very poignant feel about it and remains as one of my favorite tracks on the album. Although "Islands" is a nice track that shows the more quieter, mellower sounds of the album, I still believe Sameer's falsettos near the end of the track were awkwardly presented. That track and the album's overall lyrics let this album down for me a little bit. However, the overall sound is nice and I am looking forward to their next release - perhaps a matured sound will showcase this new band's musicianship much better in the near future. // 8

More Young The Giant reviews rating latest review