Yuck Review

yuck: Yuck
Released: Feb 15, 2011
Genre: Indie, Rock, Lo-Fi
Label: Fat Possum Records / Mercury Records
If you want some cool indie rock music and don't want to listen to music that is now 25 years old, or are just a casual listener then this is for you.
 8.1
 9.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Yuck Reviewed by: fenderjackson73, on february 23, 2011

Sound: This album is the debut from Yuck, a four piece band formed in London, they have been compared to the likes of Sonic Youth, Dinasour Jr and other bands from the late 80's early 90's Alt' Scene. The album itself sounds very lo-fi and the vocals on some tracks are almost impossible to hear over the heavily distorted guitars, the linear notes read that it is 'Produced by Yuck' and 'Mixed by Matt' (the guitar player) it also reads that 'Guitars recorded in Max's bedroom & and vocals in Daniels flat', this brings me to the conclusion that Yuck are better at being performers than they are producers. On the majorty of the tracks the vocals are distorted, this adds a very cool effect sometimes, but can be annoying and loose impact after a while, but it certainly makes them it sound more recognisable and individual. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this C.D can range from really cool to incredibly uninspired, the song 'The Wall' makes a whole verse out of two lines, 'Try to make it through the wall, you can see me if you're tall', same goes for 'Holling Out' which are 'Everybody says I can't get through to you, everybody says your'e just point of view', now that could either be a bad or good thing depending on your opinion, the lyrics are not really important on this album anyway as the vocals are so quiet and distorted you can never really make them out. // 6

Overall Impression: As a whole this is a very cool album, even if it totaly rips of the 90's ;) . My personal favorite songs would have to be 'Holling Out' (with a video complete with werewolves and boobies, what more could a guy want?) and 'Get Away', which is another fuzz driven pop song, I do not know whether or not I love or hate this album yet, I hope they get a real producer on the next album. If you want some cool indie rock music and don't want to listen to music that is now 25 years old, or are just a casual listener then this is for you, but if it was stolen I would probaly buy it if it was cheap, but I would probaly get something like 'Goo' by Sonic Youth' or 'Dinosaur' by 'Dinosaur Jr'. // 8

Comments