The Foundation Review

8.7
 9.4
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
The Foundation Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2009

Sound: The Zac Brown Band has a kind've a acoustic bluegrass/modern country sound in this album, with a little bit of rock and electric guitar. The lead singer, Zac Brown, uses a classical, nylon string guitar in most of this album, and can play exteremely good. The fiddle player, Jimmy De Martini, is probably one of the best ones I've ever heard, and uses a combination of slow playing (Whatever It Is) and fast playing (It's not ok). They have a pretty good electric guitarist, a good drummer, and a fast mandolin player, among other members of the band. The combined sound results in no other description than the Zac Brown Band. // 8

Lyrics: Zac Brown wrote or co-wrote most of the songs, along with Wyatt Duratte, Jimmy De Martini, and other members of the band. The lyrics generely flow, although in It's Not Ok the lyrics are talked and flow not quite as well. Zac Brown isn't the best singer ever, but his voice is suited for the type of songs the band plays. The music flows with the lyrics, you get country lyrics with country music. Each song goes together. And I would never put the music to the songs in any other way. One lyric I don't agree with is in Sic Em on a Chicken, the lyric: "I was in the house making fig preserves, when I heard that youngin get kicked in the face, and i knew it was time that chicken got what he deserved". But still, not all lyrics have to go together perfectly. I give the lyrics a seven. // 7

Overall Impression: This album has a strong hook track, Chicken Fried, the simple breakthrough song for the band. Other notable songs are Whatever it is, a good wedding song, Toes, although I don't like the use of that word in the chorus, relaxing, Different Kind of Fine, and great and truthful song I can't believe hasn't been done before, and Highway 20 Ride, a sad song with great meaning. If someone stole this album, from me, I'd go buy a new one. It's worth the money. Sincerely, Guitarslinger // 9

More Zac Brown Band reviews rating latest review