Zebra Review

zebra: Zebra
Released: Mar 21, 1983
Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: Atlantic
It's a very good album. The band and their label we're really going out on a limb releasing this album in this period of the 80s. Its truly amazing though how they could capture that old sound and bring it back giving rebirth to 60s and very early 70s rock 'n' roll.
 4.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Zebra Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 22, 2012

Sound: In 1983, MTV was full swing exposing the world to L.A.'s hair metal scene. By this time the classic rock bands from the 70s bands like: Styx, REO Speedwagon, Ted Nugent, and Foreigner to name a few, were on their last leg. Then in '83 a band from New Orleans, Louisiana USA made their debut. The band was Zebra. Their self-titled '83 release ended up being what many critics and fans thought was dead or dying out bringing hard-edge classic rock back to the MTV generation. Their sound on this album mixed what big name arena acts like REO were doing and combining it with older rock 'n' roll from the 60s (The Beatles). The song "Slow Down" is a great example of this. "Slow Down" is a cover of a Larry Williams song later covered by The Beatles in 1964. Now I threw that in there, because when you listen to it, to myself at least, it sounds like The Beatles got together and re-recorded it in '83 (which we all know wasn't possible due to John Lennon's murder in 1980). It really stands out though that The Beatles had a huge impact on this band and it can be heard throughout the whole album. The two singles on this album "Tell Me What You Want" and "Who's Behind The Door" helped make the album go gold. "Tell Me What You Want" is an amazing track with a guitar solo to die for. "Who's Behind The Door" is a mainly acoustic song that's slow for the most part picking up at the end, another one of my favorites. // 9

Lyrics: Vocalist Randy Jackson (NOT THE RANDY JACKSON FROM JOURNEY AND "AMERICAN IDOL") does amazing belting out these tracks. A vocalist you can compare him to is Cinderella's Tom Keifer. Vocally they are pretty far apart, how they are similar is that they both have a smooth mellow voice but also have that very raspy voice. Randy is more higher ranged than Tom though. The album's lyrics are what any classic rock fan expects from an old school rock 'n' roll album. The sound of the band throws you off but lyrics help throw you off even more when you realize this came out in 1983 and not between 1968-1972. The thing with Randy Jackson is he's a hard vocalist to describe. He's one those vocalist to where you have to sit down and listen to him sing on the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: To me it's a very good album. The band and their label we're really going out on a limb releasing this album in this period of the 80s. Its truly amazing though how they could capture that old sound and bring it back giving rebirth to 60s and very early 70s rock 'n' roll. It didn't last long, but it lasted long enough. If you want to get this album I don't know if you will be able to find in a music store. I had to buy it off iTunes which is probably your best bet. For $9 it is worth the money. // 10

Comments