Tired Of Hangin' Around Review

zutons: Tired Of Hangin' Around
Release Date: Mar 27, 2006
Label: Deltasonic
Genres: Rock
On Tired Of Hangin' Around the Zutons trump their debut with an assured, confident collection of songs that accentuate their skill for vintage R&B, white-man soul, and some of the best rowdy sax since the Specials strode the earth.
 9.5
 9.9
Tired Of Hangin' Around Reviewed by: BlackMist, on may 23, 2006

Sound: The first thing you will notice when you listen to 'Tired Of Hangin' Around' is how much the Zutons as a band have 'grown up'. The new sound is much more mature in someways and you can tell just after one listen that this isn't the bands first album. Do not let this put you off, however. The new sound of the Zutons is still like the old, just more advanced, and in some ways, more relaxed. No longer do the Zutons need to prove how good they are, the debut album showed that. 'Tired Of Hangin' Around' is a very passive album, but still a very good one. // 9

Lyrics: Dave McCabe, the lyricist of the Zutons has done another excellent job at composing lyrics for the new album. The lyrics fit with the guitar, sax, bass and drums so well. New instruments have been introduced in a few of the songs, such as 'Someone Watching Over Me' where most of the song is just the vocals of Dave and a piano playing backing chords. Again, this shows the Zutons are a maturing band who are getting bigger, better and more intelligent in what they do. // 10

Overall Impression: Whilst still not as good as 'Who Killed...', 'Tired Of Hangin' Around' is a superb album in all ways. The variety of tracks, lyrics and instruments throughout is fantastic. Make sure you listen to the groovy bass line in 'Hello Conscience', the well composed 'Why Won't You Give Me Your Love?' and 'Valerie', for her ginger hair! A truely great album, well worth the buy and will appeal to anyone! // 10

Tired Of Hangin' Around Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on february 16, 2007

Sound: They have some good song structures, no solos but everything runs smoothly together in all the songs. Some good chords in their using how many instruments and things? There's guitar, bass, vocals, backing vocals, keyboard, piano, drums, tamberine, trumpet and some computer sounds, how many? But that's what I like about The Zuton's sound: they're widely spread out and cover a lot of things in many ways: the lyrics, sound, their impression, genre of music and other things. There's such a range of things they do to get their marks and reveiws up. There is some good staccato and singing between the man and women. The smooth guitar blends in well in all the songs but I think especially in that song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite soothing in a way. Not the way the singer sings the words but the words they use in their songs. He has unique and clear voice. The lyrics are good at describing things. They flow nicely into eachother and in each song it's a diffrent story. I think it would be nice to sing the lyrics myself. It's good that the lyrics don't stand out more than the lyrics because it's got to back them up and it just spoils it if the music isn't as good. But in the case of The Zutons the music is as good as the lyrics. He's got a really nice voice and also he's picked good paces and genres. You can listen to the songs over and over again and you wouldn't get bored with the lyrics cause' they are so at you and might even be a bit funny like in one of the songs it he starts talking about sandwiches. // 10

Overall Impression: There's some cool guitar in this album and the backing singing helps. I've heard their one of the best live bands. This album I'd say is better than their first album because it's very good lyrically and more singing and guitar involved. There's no other band like them really. They're not true indie rock, they're more on the side of rock - that you can't really catagorize because it's sortov pop aswell. The best songs are 'Valerie', 'How Does It Feel', 'You've Got A Friend In Me' and 'Stacey Look What You've Done'. I love listening to it all over again on itunes but I hate not no-ing what the lyrics are about. I should look the lyrics up. If it were stolen I'd obviously buy it again but I'm not too sure about a second time if I lost it. I'd be spending my money on other things it. I would probably get something else the second time and just leave it. But that still doesn't mean iI don't like The Zutons. Every song's a hit. There is some goodsolos every now and then. // 10

More Zutons reviews rating latest review
+ Who Killed The Zutons 9.3 10/06/2004