Who Killed The Zutons Review

artist: zutons date: 10/06/2004 category: compact discs
zutons: Who Killed The Zutons
Released: Apr 19, 2004
Genre: Rock
The Zutons have shown with their debut album that they reach the standard required for success.
 9.3
 9.5
Who Killed The Zutons Reviewed by: onenakfaplease, on july 22, 2004

Sound: The sound is very earthy and stylised. From the very beginning of the first track (Zuton Fever) to the end of the last (Moons And Horror Shows) the Zutons keep the excellant lyrics flowing and the soothing (occasionaly folky) riffs going. From the very melodic "Confusion" to the roaring "Pressure Point" the Zutons have shown with their debut album that they reach the standard required for success. // 10

Lyrics: The Zutons lyrics are of a quality which few modern bands posess. The second and undoubtedly best track (Pressure Point) houses the pumping lyrics of a frustrated mind: "A weary old soldier well I have become, With all of this pressure, my minds on the run." Showing a more classicaly musical side on tracks like Railroad, the Zutons write lines like: "I'm working on the railrorad, I dig away the time. I'm singing to the worksong with memories in mind." Good Stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: I am definately not a fan of modern music but I saw an advert for this album and based solely on that, I made an impulse buy. To describe them as an ocasionally heavier, ocasionally lighter White Stripes is pretty accurate. If you are a music lover, you need this album. // 10

Who Killed The Zutons Reviewed by: Flowerpot, on october 06, 2004

Sound: I was very suprised by The Zutons' sound, it was nothing like I had expected. The sound is a blend of country, ska and plain old rock, but don't be put off by the country! This sound only comes through on the acoustic songs, and makes the band sound quirky rather than old-fashioned. The singer leaves a bit to be desired, but his tone is good for the type of songs. The saxophone lends that extra pyschedelic, melodic blend to the rather brooding, dark nature of the songs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good and rhyme, they are also memorable and I find myself singing them at regular intervals. Song's such as 'Havana Gang Brawl' have really excellent lyrics that fit well with the music. As I said before, the singer isn't the best and his voice barely copes with solo passages, but his overall tone is in keeping with the grungey acoustic sound of many of the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: The Zutons are a very original band and don't sound like any other band out there in my opinion. Their sound is hard to put a name to but would probably appeal to fans of softcore ska and grunge-acoustic if that even exists! The best songs have to be the one in 3/4 time (very unusual for a modern band) although I'm not sure what it's called, and 'Zuton Fever', the first track. I was really pleased when I was able to burn this Cd and if it was lost I would go out and buy it. What can I say? Buy this album. // 10

More Zutons reviews rating latest review
+ Tired Of Hangin' Around 9.5 02/16/2007