Mary Star Of The Sea Review

zwan: Mary Star Of The Sea
Released: January 28, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Neo-Psychedelia, Dream Pop, Neo-Prog, Noise Pop
Billy Corgan has made a good cd which is a turnaround from Smashing Pumpkins.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.6
 8.9
 8.2
Mary Star Of The Sea Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on june 07, 2004

Sound: After the breakup of Smashing Pumpkins, Billy Corgan decided to do a side project that would be known as Zwan. The sound is a little bit of a turn around. Most of the music he did with smashing pumpkins had a depressed or teen angst tone. On this cd, the sound is more happy which isn't a bad thing. The guitars sound good and the music is great. // 8

Lyrics: The Lyrics are really great on this albulm. Billy Corgan brings some imaginative poetic charm in his lyrics. They always are the best things on any smashing pumpkins albulm. Billy was able to keep the lyrics great. His vocals are great on the cd. So is the chick who does the background vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: Billy Corgan has made a good cd which is a turnaround from Smashing Pumpkins. The band sounds great. Billy still can write great lyrics. A lot of the tracks on this albulm are good. If you like smashing pumpkins then you might want to try Zwan. It's still Billy but even better. // 8

Mary Star Of The Sea Reviewed by: Geek_Aus, on march 20, 2006

Sound: I became a big fan of the Smashing Pumpkins not too long ago, and when I heard they had already broken up I was devastated. I also discovered Zwan, Billy's band after the Pumpkins. It's a lot different from the Pumpkins. Don't expect to hear Billy screeching and screaming on this album. The guitars are also a lot 'happier' and 'chirpier' then Pumpkins albums, and not as loud and intense. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics sound as though they could be written down in a poetry book. Unlike Billy's previous songwriting, where the lyrics were more vague and universal (a quality of songwriting I generally like) the lyrics are more story-like. Not a type of songwriting I usually like, but it has grown on me. // 9

Overall Impression: My favourite songs are Honestly, Yeah! and Settle Down. This album is a bit too happy for me. I would prefer if there were more deeper and perhaps angrier songs, but I understand that it's supposed to be a change from the Pumpkins sound. // 9

Comments