Eliminator Review

artist: zz top date: 06/19/2006 category: compact discs
zz top: Eliminator
Release Date: 1983
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Arena Rock, Album Rock, Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Boogie Rock, Pop/Rock, New Wave, Southern Rock
Not the sort the old-school fans or blues-rock purists will love, but ZZ Top never sounded as much like a band of its time as they did here.
 8.5
 8.3
 8.7
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Eliminator Reviewed by: Crash91, on june 19, 2006

Sound: 'Eliminator' was a great blues-rock album from the American trio ZZ Top. Their previous two albums, 'Fandango! ' and 'El Loco', only just sneaked into the album charts, but 'Eliminator' reached an incredible no.3 and spent 157 weeks in the album charts. It was a massive boost for ZZ Top and they never looked back. The opening track, 'Gimme All Your Lovin', was one of ZZ Top's most successful hits. It's a classic blues-rock song that reached no.10 in the UK charts. There are also other great hits that feature on 'Eliminator', they are 'Sharp Dressed Man', 'Legs' and the less prolific 'TV Dinners'. But the best song on this album that didn't get released is the six-minute 'I Need You Tonight'. It contains an awesome solo from Billy Gibbons (lead guitarist) which also made this song successful. Overall, I was impressed with the sound of 'Eliminator'. I have rated all songs above average, because they are superb. // 8

Lyrics: Credit to Dusty Hill (bassist) and Frank Beard (drummer), but most of all, credit to Billy Gibbons for composing these songs. The lyrics are great and so are his singing skills, it suits his music. That's what also made these songs successful. // 8

Overall Impression: 'Eliminator' is one of my Dad's favourite albums and he encouraged me to listen to it. I'm not a big fan of ZZ Top like my Dad, but this album is incredible. The most impressive songs on this album are 'Gimme All Your Lovin', 'Sharp Dressed Man' and 'I Need You Tonight'. What I love about this album was that it was pure blues-rock music and enjoyable to listen to. What I didn't like about this album was that all 11 tracks sounded familiar. If this album got stolen/lost, my Dad would make me buy it again. To end this review, 'Eliminator' is ZZ Top's greatest album and is an enjoyable album as well. // 9

More Zz Top reviews rating latest review