Fandango Review

zz top: Fandango
Released: Apr 18, 1975
Genre: Hard rock, Southern rock, blues-rock
Label: London
Fandango is a good album, but that isnt to say it doesn't have flaws.
 8.6
 7.7
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Fandango Reviewed by: Powerageman, on july 06, 2010

Sound: ZZ top's Fandango is a little different from their previous albums. What they decided to do was the first half of the album would be live and the second half would be studio work. The live portion is 100% live. I can't tell that there were any overdubs, but as everyone, I could be wrong. The guitar is very crisp and clean. The bass is also bery clear, and the drumming is good. Now, on the studio portion, the drums and bass continue ot sound the same. But, Billy constantly changes the sound of his guitar for every track. On Tush, it's very normal. But on Blue Jean Blues, the guitar is very clear, but its also very clean. On Mexican Blackbird, it's very rough and dirty, but it works for it! Overall the sound is very memorable. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very blues related. Mexican Blackbird is about a, to be completely blunt, a prostitute that is quote "south of the border". Heard It On The X is about an old radio station back in 1966. Tush, you would think is about some guy trying to have sex with a woman, but Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill have both denied that. Blue Jean Blues is a song Frank Beard wrote about his girlfriend leaving him for another guy but later she showed up at a show to return his pants. OK... The lyrics really span, but for the blues-rock genre, they really don't leave, but it is actually a good thing that they don't leave! // 8

Overall Impression: This was different from their last album, Tres Hombres, in many ways. Their songs became a bit more radio friendly, while the only songs from tres hombres you'd hear on the radio are La grange and maybe Beer drinkers and Hell raisers. My top 5 songs on this album: 01. Heard It On The X 02. Tush 03. Jailhouse Rock (a cover on the live side) 04. Thunderbird (another cover on the live side) 05. Mexican Blackbird I love the blues rock feel in it. The only thing I don't like is that some of the songs tend to seem like there wasn't alot of work put into them. If it were lost, honestly, I like the album, but not enough to buy it again. For 2 reasons: 1. I have it on my Ipod so If I lost the cd, I have it on there.(But lets pretend my computere deleted it or something) 2. The album is too short. I think they could have put a bit more material on it. Overall, Fandango is a good album, but that isnt to say it doesn't have flaws. // 7

More Zz Top reviews rating latest review