Stiff Upper Lip Live Review

artist: ac dc date: 08/27/2005 category: dvd
ac dc: Stiff Upper Lip Live
Released: December 4, 2001
The relentless power chords of AC/DC have ruled the likes of rock music and endured through all of its varying forms for nearly three decades. There's not a rock band on MTV or in the basement that doesn't bow before the masters of dirty deeds. Stiff Upper Lip Live captures AC/DC where they shine most in front of thousands of their rabid fans.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 9.3
 8.7
 8.8
 8.6
reviews (3) 10 comments vote for this dvd:
Stiff Upper Lip Live Reviewed by: Ziplin, on april 07, 2005

Sound: The sounds was pretty poor considering this is AC/DC. My fav band and one of the greatest artists of hard rock. Angus' guitar just sounded weird. He hit several bad notes. Brians voice failed to impress. The drums wern't hittin it either. The songs just sounded poor. Listen to Thunderstruck and listen to it's poor quality. The best song on the setlist, ruined. The best played song on there is Highway To Hell which isn't even that good because its Brain and it sounds weird. The sound itself on the DVD was impressive. // 4

Content: It does have a pretty good behind the scences bonus feature. Band members talk about the DVD. It was filmed pretty damn good. Just like Donington. I was pleased with the content. // 10

Production Quality: Very good quality. Excellent. Up there with any other DVD. Nothing too special but I can't complain about the picture or anything. // 10

Overall Impression: Not AC/DC's best performance at all. What impressed me of course was Angus and his enthusiasm as usual. What I hated about it was almost everything. They played every song poor. Brian was bad, Angus was unfortuantley not too good. Hit a good bit of bad notes. Even on Thunderstruck at the end when they go very slow he hit a bad note. Just a bad gig for them in my opinion. I wouldn't dare to buy this again if it were lost or stolen. // 4

Stiff Upper Lip Live Reviewed by: derekwm2001, on april 08, 2005

Sound: The sound, oh the sound. Personally, I am not a fan of AC/DC's presentation of their live performance in Donnington. I found the sound to be atrocious and positively horrid. Much to my relief, I found Stiff Upper Lip Live. The sound on this DVD sends Acca Dacca back to their High Voltage days, with bluesy riffs and not just the metalic/hard-rock riffs we've come to see from them in the past. Angus' guitar playing is top notch in my opinion, considering he had a fairly long set to remember, plus the wind was just not his best ally here. Brian had a bluesier tone to his voice to and, in my opinion, he sounded much better than in his performance at Donnington. Stiff Upper Lip Live's presentation of AC/DC's last album, Stiff Upper Lip. If you didn't like that album, you may or may not like the sound here. // 10

Content: The content here is not just the songs that are popular. Sure, tracks like "You Shook Me All Night Long," "Thunderstruck," "Highway To Hell" and "For Those About To Rock" made it to the set list, but songs that we don't hear as much as we should, such as "What Do You Do For Money Honey," "Bad Boy Boogie" and "Up To My Neck In You" sound perfectly fine with Brian's voice. The bonus features on the disc are alright, but I wasn't really interested in them as much as I was the interestingly done set list. The DVD does contain an exclusive backstage interview and bonus footage from the band before, during, and after their performance in Germany. // 10

Production Quality: The filming was just perfect. None of the shots were, as Angus and Malcom put it "right up in your face" and they watched the band from a fairly comfortable distance. Reaction from the fans was extensive, as you see the huge fan-fair that AC/DC ignites. I do, however, have grievance with the camera man's intent on shooting the same images of the same people on every other song. // 8

Overall Impression: Live At Donnington pales, in my opinion, in comparison to Stiff Upper Lip Live. This DVD shows the band as they are now, and not as they were during their re-emergence in 1991. I strongly recommend purchasing this DVD. It's a personal favorite that I have owned since its release, on both VHS and DVD, and I have taken the DVD with me to watch in the car on trips year after year since. // 10

Stiff Upper Lip Live Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2005

Sound: Well, this was one awesome piece. After a couple of years of silence around the AC/DC scene, this was a welcome treat to me. Let me put this straight: I wasn't exactly pleased witht their performance at Donington Park. The sound on that DVD was poor, but this DVD makes up for all of the damage! If I turn this on my surround system, I feel just like I'm right there standing at their feet, duckwalking along! // 10

Content: The content is very satisfying, songs like Hells Bells, Highway To Hell, Shot Down In Flames, and of course the new staple of the band: Stiff Upper Lip (which makes a thundering appearance). The backstage footage is very welcome, and the interview is very nice too, but it's all about the music, isn't it? // 10

Production Quality: The production is superb, the sound couldn't have been better. On the older DVD's like Live At Donington, and No Bull (Plaza Del Toros Spain) their sounds were more 'colder', (mainly on Donington) but his one is just perfect. As a guitarist you are always looking for that perfect sounds, well in my case: this comes very close! // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the older DVD's, this is just super! Most impressive (I thought) is the entrance: Angus comes duckwalking up the stage while soloing the first sounds of Stiff Upper Lip, after him comes Johnsson who actually sings (and not screeches) the first sentence and then suddenly the thunder breaks loose: a gigantic bronze statue of Angus breaks through the background and joins the show, just magnificent! If it were stolen, or lost, I would first find the one who did it, bash him with my guitar, and then make him buy a new one. // 10

More Ac Dc reviews rating latest review