Live In Cuba Review

artist: audioslave date: 02/13/2006 category: dvd
audioslave: Live In Cuba
Release Date: October 11, 2005
This filmed concert took place in 2005 in Cuba, and features a song selection that samples Soundgarden ("Spoonman" and "Black Hole Sun") as well as Audioslave ("Like Aa Stone," "I Am The Highway"). This historic event is captured on the Epic/Interscope release Live In Cuba, a DVD featuring a 30-minute documentary, live concert footage and an additional TV special on the event.
 Content: 9.3
 Production Quality: 9.7
 9.4
 9.8
 8.9
reviews (3) 4 comments vote for this dvd:
Live In Cuba Reviewed by: Neon D-von, on january 10, 2006

Sound: First off, Audioslave Freakin' rocks. I loved watching Tom Morello nail all of his solos, he is truly amazing. This is a very special concert because Audioslave is the first ever American band to play in Cuba and they delivered. Everyone's performance was stellar. // 10

Content: Besides the concert, there is also a documentary about Audioslave playing in Cuba with some behind the scenes footage that is pretty interesting. Here is the catch though, make sure you buy the limited edition version if you can. If you can't, buy it anyway because it's still amazing but you'll miss some sweet stuff. One of my friends picked up the limited edition version and I watched some of it before getting the DVD for Christmas. I was really excited to watch their performance of the Soundgarden hit "Spoonman" that I had seen at my friend's house and looked for it first thing when I put in the DVD. Frustratingly however, I couldn't find "Spoonman" anywhere! I thought I was just stupid or something until I watched the entire concert and it really wasn't on it. I later found out that of course, there is a limited edition of the DVD (the one you want) that has "Spoonman" and "Heaven's Dead" on it as well as a bonus CD with some cool live stuff and a new song. Also among my favorites are Cochise, Your Time Has Come, Bulls On Parade (where just the band plays) and Sleep Now In The Fire. // 9

Production Quality: Production quality was good, nothing special I guess but I can't complain. // 10

Overall Impression: What I have to love about the concert is just the Energy that the band brings when they play and how huge it is for them to be the first American band to play in Cuba. Not to mention the fact that Tom Morello does the freaking robot while he plays the solo for Spoonman (which isn't on my DVD), yeah I said it, it's pretty sweet. Yeah if I lost it or someone stole it, I'd have to bust a cap. Of course if it were lost, maybe I could pick up the limited edition copy. // 10

Live In Cuba Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 11, 2006

Sound: Now, the first US rock band to actually go and play in Cuba has got to have guts. Audioslave, the band with immense talent and great ideals. Audioslave's disc Live In Cuba might be ignored by the american public due to their anti-socialist but, for me this was one of the greatest live discs as far as importance is concerned. Not only will this band be known for their great music but also for who they are. There is a track played Live In Cuba from their recent record Out Of Exile called Your Time Has Come. Well, this song was played to the cuban crowd and well all I can say is it was a great sight to watch. The crowd went insane during the bridge "I've seen 50,000 names..." A great innovation from the band. This also to a certain extent spat on the political parties of the US Sublime. // 10

Content: Well, if I were to buy a DVD, the first thing I would look for would have to be the visuals. Well, this was more of their best songs put all together into one DVD. The crowd was huge, with everyone headbanging cuban style. There are a few tracks played with cuban musicians which are good but I prefer the originals. This a great DVD, it features all of Audioslave's great songs. I was there for the show and I got to say Cuba rocks! // 9

Production Quality: The production is pretty raw, but there has been a lot of editing. They tried as far as possible to keep it live, and to a certain extent they exceeded in doing so. But there is not much to say about the production. All I can say is the DVD sounds like what it should. I mean they could have edited a lot of things and could have made it sound like they are in the studio but they didn't and thats the beauty. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the only live performance that I've seen of Audioslave. It's a great buy for the pure reason that they are in cuba. Through, this video you can see how the capitalist politicians are feeding the world with lies of Fidel Castro being a dictator and the loss of freedom. That's all just a load of bullshit. There is such warmth and such a great atmosphere in Cuba. The best part of the DVD is their live performances of Your Time Has Come and Like A Stone, Doesn't Remind Me. This is the DVD that one might never have the opportunity to see again. A great band. A great country. A great DVD. // 10

Live In Cuba Reviewed by: TJM2482, on february 13, 2006

Sound: Audioslave definitly nailed this concert. They played Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, and of course, Audioslave tracks. The drummer was perfect throught every song, and sounded perfect. Brad, the bassist, did a great job, and didn't mess up. Chris, the singer, did an alright job, but he isn't anything special live, I think he could have done better. And the best part, Tom Morello. Tom Morello, the guitarist, did an amazing job, hitting every riff and every solo. He handled the Soundgarden song "Spoonman" perfectly. Everything you hear in the studio albums, you hear in the show. // 10

Content: The Live In Cuba DVD features 18 songs, their largest show to date. 01. Set It Off 02. Your Time Has Come 03. Like A Stone 04. Spoonman (Soundgarden) 05. The Worm 06. Gasoline 07. Heaven's Dead 08. Doesn't Remind Me 09. Be Yourself 10. Bulls On Parade (Rage Against The Machine, instrumental) 11. Sleep Now In The Fire (Rage Against The Machine) 12. Out Of Exile 13. Outshined 14. Shadow On The Sun 15. Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden, done by only Chris Cornell) 16. I Am The Highway (done by only Chris Cornell) 17. Show Me How To Live 18. Cochise This DVD also includes a bonus 'Sessions @ AOL' CD including: 01. Be Yourself 02. Loud Love 03. Doesn't Remind Me 04. Out Of Exile 05. Sleep Now In The Fire And finally, 'Live In Cuba' includes an documentary about the band's stay in Cuba, which is quite interesting to see these famous musicians just being themselves. // 10

Production Quality: The DVD is just straight up Rock, it kicks ass. The camera views were nice, they always switched to when a certain band member was doing a good part, as in a Morello solo, a drum intro, and parts by Brad and Chris. Nothing to complain about. // 10

Overall Impression: If your a fan of Audioslave, Rage, or even Soundgarden, you should check it out. It's a definite buy. It is one of the only few live shows that is as good, if not better, than the studio albums. I loved the feeling of the DVD, and the documentary, which if you watch before the actual show, it feels like your going through the experience with the band. It's amazing. If lost or stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up again. // 10

Comments