The European Invasion - Doom Troopin' Live (2006) Review

artist: black label society date: 04/04/2007 category: dvd
black label society: The European Invasion - Doom Troopin' Live (2006)
Release Date: August 22, 2006
This is the DVD that all of Zakk's Chapter Members have been waiting for as its loaded with music and interesting features that will all serve as a nice herald for the new album from the band. Be sure to check this one out if you are one of the people who "Bleeds Black Label".
 Content: 8
 Production Quality: 9
 8.9
 8.8
review (1) 15 comments vote for this dvd:
The European Invasion - Doom Troopin' Live (2006) Reviewed by: Zakhammetman, on april 04, 2007

Sound: The music is true-blue BLS with focus on later albums like Mafia and The Blessed Hellride. I don't know if it was 'cause they were in Europe or what but the band really went all out for this show, each one sounding as good as, or better, than the original and some songs taking much longer due to extended jams/solos. The sound as a result was crucial, and it delivered for the most part, even with a little background noise: even on a little portable DVD player I could appreciate every aspect of the band form the guitar and bass to the drums. Overall, a definite buy for a Black Label fan. // 9

Content: Well the concert itself, as I said, feature songs mostly from Mafia and The Blessed Hellride. I would have liked to see some more 1919 Eternal on there, but I can't complain: the set-list still rocked hard. In addition, Zakk takes on a little acoustic session on stage which quiets down the place while still kicking ass. Aside from the concert itself, there is a second CD featuring some songs from other locations of Europe and a behind-the-scenes look at the band and their tour. Again, a fan-favourite for Black Label fan. // 8

Production Quality: This is where I was most pleased with this DVD. I have Boozed, Bruised and Broken-boned as well and the production on this DVD by far surpasses it's predecessor. Zakk's voice and lyrics are not only legible but remarkably clear; the guitars still growl yet are not distracting, the solos are clear and spot on, the drums deliver as they should and the base is there whenever you need it. The producers also worked with different visual effects and styles (coloring, angles, distortion effects, etc.) that, albeit, both added and sometimes took away from the concert: simply put, effects are great when used well and when used with subtleness, but sometimes they were somewhat over done. Overall, if I could give simply the sound production a score itself, I'd give it a 10, and if I could give the video production itself a score, probably a 7 or 8. As a result, I'll give it the score you see. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this is a worthwhile buy if you dig what BLS and Zakk do. The sound quality is great, it makes for an entertaining watch, and you get to hear some killer music as well. I would put it far ahead of Boozed, Bruised and Broken-boned so if you're a fan of that one, pick this up. If it were lost, I'd definitely pick myself up another copy and if it were stolen, I would make sure to track down the culprit, bring him to justice and then make him pick me up another copy. // 9

More Black Label Society reviews rating latest review