Live At The Starland Ballroom Review

artist: coheed and cambria date: 01/03/2006 category: dvd
coheed and cambria: Live At The Starland Ballroom
Released: March 22, 2005
Covering personal favorites "In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3," "Delirium Trigger," and "Everything Evil" - this disc looks to be must for all Co&Ca fans, especially those that showed up late to the Boston show and missed a good portion of the performance. Not that I know anyone like that...
 Content: 9.7
 Production Quality: 9.3
 8.6
 9.6
 7.5
reviews (3) 9 comments vote for this dvd:
Live At The Starland Ballroom Reviewed by: rjc_15, on april 05, 2005

Sound: This was the first time I heard the band, and I thought it was pretty good. The guitars sounded good, although you can find some indications of flaws, but live shows aren't meant to be perfect. The drums and bass come in clear as well. The only problem I had was Claudio tends to become winded rather easy in some of the songs, and misses some of his parts. But he can be easily forgiven since he plays some rather nice guitar parts at the same time. It sounds really good though, especially for an indie band. // 8

Content: The DVD travels between both of their released album, The Second Stage Turbine Blade and In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3. It also contains videos for "A Favor House Atlantic," "Devil In Jersey City" and "Blood Red Summer." The videos are fun to watch, and you get the impression they really enjoyed doing them. Also included are interviews with Claudio and Travis, in which they talk about the upcoming album and their present set lists. In regard to there live set list on this DVD, the stand out for me is the acoustic performance of "The Light And The Glass," simply because I love the song and it sounds very beautiful. In summation, the DVD covers a lot of space and it made me very happy that I bought it. // 10

Production Quality: The production is rather good, and I don't really know enough about production techniques to get really into it here. But I say that it is very well done and I don't think they really did anything revolutionary, they just took it one step at a time. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to other concert DVD's I own, like Incubus' Alive At Red Rocks, it stacks up pretty well in my opinion. I feel that it was very well done all around, even if some aspects get in the way. The song list is very good, but like I said before, the acoustic version of "The Light And The Glass" is phenomenal. I also loved "In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth." I liked all of this DVD and if I had to buy it again, I most definitely would. Not only because I really liked it, it was only 13 bucks! Can't beat that by much really, especially for such a marvelous performance. // 10

Live At The Starland Ballroom Reviewed by: themanwiththere, on may 31, 2005

Sound: If you can find a badn more unique than Coheed And Cambria, I'd like to know. The sound is brutal, but at the same time, incredibly beautiful. The guitar parts of Travis Stever and Claudio Sanchez is both complex and technical, as well as memorable and stunningly beautiful. Such songs as A Favor House Atlantic and Blood Red Summer will have the main stream listener tapping his feet and songs like In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 and Delirium Trigger will have die-hard fans staying up until 3 in the morning trying to memorize the incredible lyrics. In short it doesn't get much better. The sound of Coheed will be copied for years to come, count on that. In addition, Claudio's acoustic song at the end, The Light & The Glass, is so soft and soothing that I spent hours learning to play it, makes the DVD worth buying by itself. // 10

Content: It is a great thing to see people packed into the Starland Ballroom screaming almost as high as Claudio's voice. You get an incredible selection of songs played live, three music videos for A Favor House Atlantic, Blood Red Summer, and The Devil In Jersey City. You also get the making of Blood Red Summer. There is also another live performance set from the Skate and Surf Vestival. The DVD also comes with a CD of the entire concert. If you get anymore from a DVD for the 15 bucks I paid for this, let me know 'cause I'm buying it. // 10

Production Quality: This is basically a typicl concert filming but the angles gave emphasis on the band member who had the biggest part of te song at the time. The overalls of the bad and crowed were clear and at times looked almost like I was there. The menues of the planet backgrounds perfectly emphasised the entire concept of the Coheed & Cambria story. // 10

Overall Impression: This entire DVD is the type of thing that you look at and decide it makes life worth living all over again. There is nothign wrong with this DVD. A must for Coheed fans or even the casual radio listener. If it were lost I would buy another. I already bought a few extra copies, just in case. Go buy it now. // 10

Live At The Starland Ballroom Reviewed by: sonixon, on january 03, 2006

Sound: I have always loved the sound of Coheed And Cambria and every one of their songs. I love their guitar tone, specifically Claudio's, which he gets from EMG active pickups. Both of the guitar players are exceptional musicians, and the drum and bass player both stand out significantly as well. I've always found their music to stand way way apart from anything I've ever heard before, and they have been my favourite band for a couple of years now. The sound of the music on the DVD is excellent, and leaves nothing out. // 10

Content: There are a bunch of extras on this DVD, including four extra live songs from a different show, a couple of interviews, and music videos. The main content of this DVD is their set at the Starland Ballroom (obviously). I love the setlist they played, although I would have preferred a better ending song than The Light and The Glass, because it is acoustic and I like concerts to end with a bang. I would have preferred In Keeping Secrets... at the end instead, but either way, both songs were played amazingly. // 9

Production Quality: The video is awesome, and there are some very nice camera angles. Like I said, the sound is A-1, and the video is no worse. // 10

Overall Impression: I have many music DVDs and this is way way up in the favourites of my collection. I like it as much as the Led Zeppelin DVD, which is saying something, because that DVD is just fantastic. The best part of the DVD is the main concert of course. If it were lost/stolen I would go right out and buy another copy. // 10

More Coheed And Cambria reviews rating latest review