Anywhere But Home Review

Production Quality: 8.3
 8.9
reviews (4) 5 comments vote for this dvd:
Anywhere But Home Reviewed by: the_bride_2006, on february 11, 2006

Sound: Evanescence have gained a huge fanbase all round the world since releasing their multi-million selling debut "Fallen" in 2003. Singer Amy Lee has become an idol for the girls and a pin-up for the boys with her 2-year stint of classical training of her voice and stage presence lessons and it truly has paid off for the 23-year old. "Anywhere But Home" is a two-disc affair, the concert shot live at The Zenith in Paris where Muse filmed their "Hullabaloo" DVD in 2004. There is also a CD with an unreleased track in the form of "Missing" which shows Evanescence at their most spine-chilling. // 8

Content: The set list of the concert consists of the entirety of "Fallen," with a piano-led cover of KoRn's "Thoughtless" thrown in somewhere in the middle of the gig. However, whilst watching the concert, I remember thinking that that cover was only one of the few best things about the concert. The other standout songs were "Everybody's Fool" and "My Last Breath" but other than that, you could barely hear Amy's voice above the PA. Either that or there has been some kind of suspicious engineering going on behind the scenes. A real disappointment. Thankfully, there is some extra stuff on the DVD, like a behind-the-scenes look at what the band really get up to, which will have you in stitches. You'll see Amy dress up as a gorilla and attacking then boyfriend Shaun Morgan of Seether onstage in Evanescence's homeground of Little Rock, Arkansas, on their last night of touring for example. You'll also see technical and non-technical bloopers, and general arseing around (literally). // 9

Production Quality: The DVD menu, I think, is actually a bit overdone. They should have just cut down on the graphics and made it a bit more simpler. You have to wait slightly longer than needed before the separate menus come up and they also have flashing images of the band, which is bad for people with epilepsy and simply completely unnecessary. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I would recommend it to all serious Evanescence fans, but not for those who just, for example, like a couple of songs. It was a fantastic stocking filler for me when I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and it certainly will be for the most crazy/serious of Evanescence fans. It'll also do until Evanescence release their new album sometime this year. // 8

Anywhere But Home Reviewed by: axeslinger0u812, on april 12, 2005

Sound: This DVD is great for any fan. It was made after Ben Moody left the group, and so there is less lead guitar work, but it's still a good glimpse into the band. Musically, the band is tight, and the little things they've done to slightly alter the sound of the songs are awesome. Some very cool additions are two B-Sides, with Farther Away and Breathe No More, as well as the addition of Thoughtless, a cover orginally done by Korn. Also, on the CD, they add another B-Side done in the studio, Missing. The sound is a little off in the beginning, with Amy's voice being a little lost in the mix, and the guitar's being different volumes, but it evens out as the show progresses, much like a concert, lol. One thing some will notice is the guitar solo's have been changed in Haunted and Going Under. At first it's a little strange to hear, but after awhile, they grow on you. For those of you familiar with Fallen, this is basically a really good live representation of that CD, with some added things. // 8

Content: The DVD/CD contains a live concert, behind the scenes footage, and a hidden live performace, that is pretty easy to find if you put it in a computer. It's almost impossible not to find it. The concert is an awesome performance. The band has grown with Terry Balsamo, who replaced Moody, into a really cohesive unit. Hard not to with almost two years of touring. This is noticable in Bring Me To Life. If you listen to the way the two guitars work with each other in the beginning, while very simple in technique and idea, it has a really strong punch to it not seen in the original recording. The DVD really shines when you watch the behind the scenes footage. You get a good glimpse into the personality of each member, and see what they are like away from the stage. Each member has their own unique spin on things, adding a lot of humorous moments. In fact, there are very few moments that don't at least bring a smile to your face. From the rock star attitudes towards pretzels, to McDonald's baseball, to the most outgoing buttcrack awards, the band show's that they aren't the brooding, depressed people they're portrayed as. They are just like everyone else. Just in a really successful band. Oh yeah, and watching them get drunk is classic. // 10

Production Quality: I think the way the concert is portrayed is amazing to a point. Most of the songs are given camera tricks and editing and such, almost so much that you lose the entire feel of being at a concert. If the editing tricks used weren't so damn cool, it wouldn't work. It's really put together well, and every song has a different theme. Aside from the small sound issue's in the beginning, and the editing orgasm, this DVD is spectacular. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of the best DVD/CD packages I've seen. It offers an awesome concert, hilarious behind the scenes footage, a CD with the entire concert on it, as well as a B-Side. The concert album artwork is wicked, the menus have a very nightmare before christmas feel, and it's really just a fun DVD to watch. I highly recommend it to anyone, even if you aren't an Evanescence fan, if only just to watch the behind the scenes. And if you are a Evanescence fan, you couldn't go wrong. // 10

Anywhere But Home Reviewed by: xCoilx, on may 04, 2006

Sound: I think the sound is very different and defines its own sound. With each song Amy Lee sings into she puts in heart and emotion into it. Trust me. I've never seen such a performer express her lyrics like this. She fits every mood of the songs and captures you into that mood. She pounds her lyrics home with her fist in the air and is always moving around. Trust me, it's neat to watch. The DVD also included behind the scenes which gives us a taste of Amy and the bands funny side. // 10

Content: It contains behind the scences of Evanescence. It's a live concert DVD also with 4 of thier vidoes and a hidden track of "Bring Me To Life" performance. It includes Haunted, Going Under, Bring Me To Life, Everybodies Fool, My Last Breathe, Taking Over, My Immortal, Imaginary, Farther Away, Tourniqet, Whisper, and a cover song from Korn, Thoughtless. Yes I was very satisfied I got it over a year ago and I'm still watching it. It hard enough for metal lovers yet freindly enough for those on the softer edge. // 10

Production Quality: They are. You get to shuffle what you want and skip to what you want easily too. The screens really clear and the affects and video footage is really cool. Trust me, it's worth it and I'm not usaully into these softer bands. // 9

Overall Impression: No actaully it doesn't and that's the truth. The sound is just too different to put it into another bands sound. I mean the sound is good enough for bands to idolize its sound. The most impressive thing on this DVD I'd say is the concert. They have it from so many angles its so cool. you can really see how they perform. I love the behind the scences, it almost feels as if you know them in person. I really don't hate every thing on it. If it was stolen I would buy it again there really not a few weeks that go by that I don't watch it or listen to the concert when I'm cleaning my room or something. // 10

Anywhere But Home Reviewed by: Bass Reaper, on october 16, 2006

Sound: Evanescence is a fairly good live singing band. When I bought the DVD I was amazed at how they coul goof off during the song but still keep it cool and not mess up. The biggest thing Evanescence is known for I believe is Amy's playing on the piano, this helps it have an advantage over most bands cause most don't even have a piano. Not only is amy good at it, she is also the lead singer. // 10

Content: I bought the CD and found out it came with a DVD of the band so I immidiatly bought it. The DVD is moslty just videos of thier latest tour and the goofing off they did. The DVD had them perform the main songs Going Under, Bring Me To life, Tournequete (or however you spell that), and the biggest hit of all to me was Whisper. It was about an hour long feature and I was very satisfied with what I saw. It had a couple of Special features on the DVD like "the making of" and what not. // 9

Production Quality: The DVD was of good quality and had absolutely any flaws I could find. The technology was modern 2003 kinda stuff so it was preety neat watvhin all the cool stuff they did with the amps and guitars. In one of the songs, I'm not really sure which, They made the piano electric and it even had a distortion pedal to make it sound even cooler. // 9

Overall Impression: I can't really say it compares because I haven't seen many other DVDs of bands like this that haven't sucked. The coolest thing on the DVD was the behind the seens of the concerts they had(where they operated the lights, speakers, and ect. I would probobly not want to get it again, I don't really have a good reason, but they aren't exactely my favorite band (unless you like gothic rock or whatever). But other than all that the DVD is great and if you like evanescence I recommend getting it. // 8

Comments