G3 Live In Tokyo Review

artist: G3 date: 07/12/2006 category: dvd
G3: G3 Live In Tokyo
Release Date: October 25, 2005
This DVD is an excellent addition to anyones collection. The sound is great, the songs are a fresh addition to the live set, and the video is great too.
 Content: 9.3
 Production Quality: 9
 9.2
 9.5
 8.8
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this dvd:
G3 Live In Tokyo Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on november 03, 2005

Sound: The sound was just crystal-clear. I could pick up every note, every harmonic and every dive played during the whole show. I was very thankful that the sound was remastered, seeing as I've heard fairly bad things about the sound on the G3 tour (too much volume on a clean channel, for example). But beginning to end, the sound was pure, and that's the most I think I could ask for. // 10

Content: This is the live video footage from the G3 concert featuring John Petrucci, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani playing their own mind-blowing sets, followed by the infamous G3 jam. Petrucci kicked off the show with some solo material, playing "Glasgow Kiss" and "Damage Control." He was then followed by the oh so charismatic Steve Vai, opening with the classic "The Audience Is Listening," followed by two songs off his new album, "Building The Church" and "Km-Pee-Du-Wee." This set was followed by Joe Satriani, coming out on stage playing "Up In Flames." He rounded up by playing "Searching" and "War." Now, this was followed by the G3 jam, featuring Jimi Hendrix's "Foxey Lady," ZZ Top's "La Grange" and Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water." I was more than satisfied with this set, I was practically in shred-heaven for the whole 108 minutes it was on. And the extras were just amazing. Petrucci, Vai and Satriani lend their voices to do some audio commentary on the footage. Not only was it playfully funny, but it really showed you what goes on at G3. And probably my favorite bonus was the soundcheck. // 10

Production Quality: The production quality was top notch. Interactive menus and clear pictures were definitely a plus for me, being easily amused. I felt like I was at the concert at times, sitting in my Lay-Z-Boy recliner, drinking lemonade and following along on my cheap knock-off guitar. And perhaps the best part about the filming was that you got up close to the guitarists, seeing where their fingers flew from note to note and observing their amazing stage personas. I could have done without the widescreen format, but that's just me. // 9

Overall Impression: This DVD was just pure nirvana for me. I could not get out of my chair as I watched this. I just sat there, awe-struck by the talent that had been collected into one little DVD and cellophane packaged just for my enjoyment. I could not hate one minute of this whole concert. The talent that night could only be rivaled by the comradary and the humorous antics that went on that night. From Petrucci's little bit with his backup band to Vai and Sheehan's antics to Satriani's minute or so of speaking fluent Japanese until he decided to speak English to the final jam of the night, it was pure gold. If I ever, ever lost this DVD or ruined it by playing it over and over and over night after night, I'd definitely run out and get it again (and for only $12.63 plus tax? Score) and most likely never let it out of my sight. So if you want a night of beautiful solos and crazy shredding, get this DVD. Go ahead, indulge yourself. // 10

G3 Live In Tokyo Reviewed by: guitarcaw, on november 09, 2005

Sound: I was simply amazed with this DVD! Before this, I had never heard any of Dream Theater's or John Petrucci's music so when he played Glasgow Kiss, I was blown away. I've heard Vai and Santriani's stuff before and have Eric Clapton's Crossroads dvd so I've seen Vai play a little but to see the amazing technical ability of both of them on stage was awe inspiring. It was great to see Santriani play live because I have admiried him ever since I started playing. To see three of the top shredders in the world was very insparational. // 10

Content: The DVD content only has the actual concert and some commentaries by Vai, Santriani, and Petrucci which is kind of a downside but the live concert makes up for it. Petrucci was first up and he played the incredible Glasgow Kiss and Damage Control. Vai was next playing The Audience Is Listening, the amazing and my personal favorite Building The Church, and Km-Pee-Du-Wee. Santriani played Up In Flames, Searching, and finally, War. The G3 Jam was really cool, there was a new shred spin on Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water, ZZ Top's La Grange, and Jimi Hendrix's Foxey Lady. // 9

Production Quality: By themselves, all three of them sounded great. Sound was clear, crisp, and dynamic. But when the G3 jam came around, Vai came up a little short. Both Petrucci and Santriani sounded great in the G3 jam but Vai sounded muffled and quiet. Not exactly high-grade sound but since it was a live concert, I can dismiss it but not with out giving production quality an 8. // 8

Overall Impression: You cannot compare any of the G3 shredders (past G3's included) as they all have their own playing approaches and styles, I really want to get all the G3 DVDs to have an "Ultimate Shred Concert Collection." The most impressive thing is the G3 jam, with all three of them onstage adding their own little flare to real rock classics. There is only one thing I hate about this dvd and that is Vai's poor sound in the G3 jam. If this were stolen/damaged/whatever I would definately buy it again along with any other G3 DVD at the store. In conclusion, I have only three words about this DVD, it kicks ass! // 10

G3 Live In Tokyo Reviewed by: Hendrix1970, on july 12, 2006

Sound: There are three different musicians performing on this DVD. John Petrucci is up first, then Steve Vai. Both of them are using Mesa Boogie amps and they get an amazing tone. Joe satriani uses his signature Peavey amps. Out of all three of them I was most impressed with John Petrucci. His songs are constantly evolving and his various guitar parts are very melodic and constantly run across the fretboard. I was least impressed with Steve Vai's set. He had the leats melodic sense and I know that its great all that he's done with guitar music thanks to the whammy bar but he abuses it too much. His overhand tapping sequence in 'Building The Church' was worth appreciation though. Satch's performance was of course pretty kickass especcially his song 'Searching'. That man never runs out of ideas. // 10

Content: G3 is a great live concert. During the jam sessions in the end all three of them work together really well. // 9

Production Quality: Overall the Concert was very well filmed. The picture quality is crisp and vibrate and most of the scenes focus on the fretboard of the guitar which I really appreciated. Something that was also pretty cool was often the camera would point towards the players feet to show them working various effects pedals. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good DVD for those into instrumental guitar music. The Jam session in the end is worth the purchase alone. If it were lost or stolen I would definitley buy it again because I still need a good source to steal guitar parts from. // 9

More G3 reviews rating latest review