Phase Two - Slowboat To Hades Review

artist: gorillaz date: 06/13/2007 category: dvd
gorillaz: Phase Two - Slowboat To Hades
Release Date: October 31, 2006
Slowboat To Hades rounds up these incredible documents for the first time and captures them in digital formaldehyde; from the award-winning videos and hi-tech performances to their inventive animated shorts, acceptance speeches and more.
 Content: 6
 Production Quality: 7
 8.8
 7.5
review (1) user comments vote for this dvd:
Phase Two - Slowboat To Hades Reviewed by: Dunjma, on june 13, 2007

Sound: I like the Gorillaz and their music, they have a unique sound but as they are not a band of "real" people (even though real people make the music etc.) they can't be expected to perform well on stage. This is where they really fall down. Plus the onstage sound isn't that great either. // 9

Content: The way the DVD is set out is very strange, it is set out the same way that the Gorillaz web site is set out (as a tour around the house)so at first it's a bit if a guess to see what everything does. It has five animated songs; these are just the film clips. Then it has five live shows. I like playing the film clips up loud during my average day but as I said earlier they don't do very good performances on stage. The DVD also has "interviews" with the band members along with the "Gorilla Bites" that are often around the place and the DVD has hidden extras. I have no idea what those are because I haven't bothered looking for them, they seem to just be lost in the Gorilla house. It comes with a CD for the computer that has games on it, and when you play the games you unlock wallpapers and screensavers. Some of them are cool but most I don't like. // 6

Production Quality: Really the DVD isn't overly fantastic, but the Animatics played loudly on a big screen TV, is really cool. The tricks used, obviously are the animated characters, and also the holograms they use at live shows. I think the only good thing about the live shows are the use of the holograms, and the animation of them. // 7

Overall Impression: I don't think it really does compare with other artists in terms of structure but originality really makes up for any lose mad from the confusing layout. The thing I love about it is the music but they cross the line at the live shows, I really don't enjoy them. I'm not sure if I would buy it again if anything happened to it but hopefully that will never happen. // 8

More Gorillaz reviews rating latest review
+ Demon Days: Live 7.5 05/14/2007