Death On The Road Review

artist: iron maiden date: 04/25/2006 category: dvd
iron maiden: Death On The Road
Release Date: Feb 21, 2005
This DVD captured live during the band's 2003 "Dance Of Death Tour" and filmed at the Westenfalenhalle Arena, Dortmund, Germany. The event is opened with exclusive intro by Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson and features 120 minutes of classic Maiden, such as "The Number Of The Beast," "Run To The Hills," "Wrathchild," "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and many more. In addition, fans attending the show will see exclusive footage of Maiden performing "Where Eagles Dare" and "Phantom Of The Opera" from their blistering 2005 show at Reading Festival.
 Content: 9.5
 Production Quality: 9
 9.3
 9.4
 9.2
reviews (2) 29 comments vote for this dvd:
Death On The Road Reviewed by: JanickClone, on february 27, 2006

Sound: After watching Rock In Rio a billion times, I was semi-skeptical that this was actually "Iron Maiden's most stunning concert ever." But I was at future shop first thing on teh morning of Feb. 21/06 so I could make sure my Maiden collection was up to date. With 'Dance Of Death' being my favorite maiden album, when I first heard there was going to be another concert DVD, my first thought was "Holy shit, I'm going to get to see paschendale and dance of death live!" Being plagued by not seeing either of my favorite songs on Rock In Rio I was left with a feeling of emptiness. This DVD has filled that void. // 10

Content: With a total of 3 DVD's in the case, you are riddled with mass amounts of special features, which for a Maiden fan such as myself, is fantastic to watch and drool. The actual concert was astonishing. After noticing that it had a couple songs already done on Rock In Rio, I was worried it would be repetitive, but that was a horrible assumption after watching it. The same songs they had played on the DVD before, were amped up and blew the other versions away. There was a lot more passion in this concert, which I feel makes it amazing. Bruce was very busy during each song wearing costumes, dancing, and making plays during each song. I found the intros to each song astonishing, especially the paschendale one, which consisted of flashing lights, rain sound effects, and exploding shells; giving more of a story to each song. Janick again shows his insane abilites of running around on stage and absolutley amazing me, but the one thing I noticed more of was Adrian. Most of the time he was left in the background playing the basic cords to the rhythms of the songs, but he was center stage pretty much every song, and really showed what he was made of. // 10

Production Quality: Having almost 3 years since the actual concert, maiden put alot of editing and production values into this DVD, having the perfect amount of flashing and different angles. I noticed in Rock In Rio you never really got to watch the fingers during the solos becuase the camera would be flashing everywhere, but they really did a good job this time. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD was exactly what every fan has been waiting for. The solos are revamped and Bruce's voice is on a new, renergized level. My main attraction to it was knowing that dance of death and paschendale were on it, which meant a fantastic show, and they really lived up to my expectations for the songs. Another note id like to say is the song rainmaker. It was played and sung exactly as it was on the album, which is extremely impressive for a live show, let alone halfway through it. This DVD will make your collection complete and deserves every so called maiden fan standing in line to buy it. // 10

Death On The Road Reviewed by: frazzledazzle, on april 25, 2006

Sound: Well, first off I love Iron Maiden, and I own Dance Of Death and Rock In Rio. It is great seeing the Dance Of Death songs, such as the title track, Paschendale, and Journeyman, being preformed live. This concert was filmed in Dortmund, Westfallenhalle Germany on the Dance Of Death Tour. As with Rock In Rio, this DVD sounds great, with a good surround sound mix. // 9

Content: The setlist for the concert includes the afformentioned Dance Of Death songs, as well as Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker. It also includes some of the popular Maiden songs off of Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Fear Of The Dark and Brave New World. Besides the Dance Of Death songs, the setlist is similar to that of the Rock In Rio concert DVD. The songs, of course, are played in typical Maiden fashion, flawlessly with lots of energy and enthusiasm, especially from Bruce Dickenson and Janick Gers. There is also a bonus features DVD with a behind the scenes look into the writing and production of Dance of Death and subsequent tour. It is a good bonus DVD, much better than the one that came with Rock In Rio. // 9

Production Quality: The production, for me, is the only low point on the product. But it is barely a low point, and I will give it an 8. The editing, done by Steve Harris, flashes between each band member far to fast for many to be comfortable watching it. It does focus on solos tho. The package even warns that people with epilepsy should refrain from watching it due to the editing. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, a great DVD. I recommend it for any diehard Maiden fan, but you all probably have it by now. If you loved Rock In Rio, you may find this DVD a bit different, but hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I have. If you are not a diehard Maiden fan, pick up Rock In Rio first, then DotR if you are truely taken away with the musicianship of the band. // 9

More Iron Maiden reviews rating latest review