Set This World Ablaze Review

artist: killswitch engage date: 10/04/2007 category: dvd
killswitch engage: Set This World Ablaze
Release Date: November 22, 2005
This is a solid DVD filled with not only an amazing on stage performance but a surpisingly good documentary of the band.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 9.8
 9.8
 9.9
 9.7
reviews (8) 19 comments vote for this dvd:
Set This World Ablaze Reviewed by: IlIk2plygUItAr, on january 09, 2006

Sound: This DVD is amazing. Killswitch Engage is an amzing live band. The guitar tone is great, perfect for pinching, which they do a lot of. Howard's voice is perfect. He has a great scream and a powerful singing voice. This is one of the most talented metal bands. They are very tight and together live. // 10

Content: The live concert is great. You don't know wether to headbang, or laugh at Adam D. running around in short-shorts and a cape. The crowd sings along with every single song. This DVD also contains one of the best documentaries I have ever seen on a band. It is hilarious. It has lots of metal bands like As I Lay Dying, Lamb Of God, and others telling jokes and talking about there experiences with Killswitch Engage. It also interviews Corey Taylor, the singer of Slipknot, who is probably the funniest person on the whole documentary. As well as the live footage and documentary, the DVD has all of Killswitch Engage's videos. // 10

Production Quality: The sound and video quality are perfect. There isn't any way they could be better. There isn't much else to say. // 10

Overall Impression: In short, this is the best DVD I have ever seen. I love everything about it. There just isn't anything to hate about it. If someone took it, I would definately get a new one. // 10

Set This World Ablaze Reviewed by: gigson111, on may 19, 2007

Sound: This sound for this DVD is awesome. Howards screaming is insane. The sound of the guitar is unbelievable. There is just not too many words in my very small vocabulary to describe the sound of it. Adam has found the perfect settings for his amp. When they do the pinch harmonic for absolutly no reason, it sounds awesome. I don't think I heard one that wasn't perfect. It was also pretty cool that Adam was going insanly crazy while playing guitar at the same time. I think it has the best sound a live metalcore/hardcore band could have. // 10

Content: This DVD has the awesome footage of them playing live along with some of their music videos. It includes the music videos of Rose of Sharyn and The End Of Heartache. It might also contain another 1 but it's just awesome. I personally, have never seen the videos before this video, so it was pretty cool. // 10

Production Quality: The production qaulity was great. For 30 bucks plus the CD, it's worth it. But I found it weird when he was doing those pushups in one of the song, I'm not quite sure which one, Adam was doing pushups with his guitar on his back then literally half a second later the camera shows him standing up. I found that kind of weird but it was cool. They must have edited it or something because it would be impossible to get up that fast from doing pushups. // 10

Overall Impression: This does not even come close to other artists. Or the other way around. This is best video ever. I think that it was pretty cool that when it was only 30 bucks and had another CD with it too. Adam, is by far the stupidest craziest guitarist in metalcore history. If this was stolen, I'd buy 5 more. // 10

Set This World Ablaze Reviewed by: Kaney, on january 03, 2006

Sound: "Set This World Ablaze" is a great live DVD from a great live band. The live performance is absolutly amazing and the footage is taken from Worcester, Massachusets where Killswitch started out. This makes the DVD even more special and the crowd go absolutly nuts. // 10

Content: The DVD opens with the Brilliant "A Bid Farewell" and has a good mix of tracks from Alive or Just Breathing and The End of Heartache and also a couple of older ones from thier self titled debut. The Other great thing about this DVD is the in depth documentry about the band, involving interviews from members of Shadows Fall, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, All that remains and also from previous band members. The documentry follows Killswitch from the days of Jesse Leach all through to present day. You really learn alot about the band and how much theyve changed and also about the members personalities and attributes to the band. // 10

Production Quality: The Production quality is amazing. The camera shots and sound really emphazize how amazing Killswitch are live and how much the crowd love them. The menus are superb. // 10

Overall Impression: Killswitch are my favourate band and you couldnt get a better live DVD. All fans of metal will love this DVD and with lots of special bonus features such as the in depth documentry and all the bands music videos all on top of an unreal live set make this DVD a must for any Killswitch fan. // 10

Set This World Ablaze Reviewed by: CrosseGod18, on january 04, 2006

Sound: The sound of this DVD is incredible. Everything comes through, Adam and Joel's mega riffs and pinch harmonics sing through, and Howards voice is hust celestial anyway and it comes through especially well in the DVD. Justin's drumming leaves nothing to be desired, the mans timing is so good and the drums come through as well as guitar and vocals. Even Mikes bass cames through clean and plainly audible. // 10

Content: This DVD is what Bullet In The Bible should have been. Aside from the 75 minutes of live performance there is a huge autobiography in there about the history of the band, former members, and comentary from the band itself and others from different bands. Such as Randy Blythe and Mark Morton from lamb of God! Unearth, In Flames, and Corey Taylor from Slipknot throws his two cents worth in. Besides that, the DVD also includes every single one of the bands music videos. I can honestly say the ony DVD that can even hold a candle to this one was the DVD that comes with If We Could Only See Us Now by Thrice. // 10

Production Quality: The sound of the concert and the documentary and everything is amazing, you can tell that they have spent major time mastering every aspect of this DVD. The camera angles are awsome. Every possible angle of the concert was shot and is seen. The menue is easy to navigate and everything on the DVD just screams. "Hey, I kick ass, worship me, now." // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is in a league all its own. From the documentary that spans the times of them playing in Adams bedroom to present day with comentary from the hardest bands out there today paying respect from one great band to another, to the concert with all the best songs you could ever want to see live (When Darkness Falls, Numbered Days, Life to Lifeless, Rose of Sharyn, etc), to being able to see every video ever made by them. You will not be disappointed. I would recommend this to Kim Jong-il himself if he asked me. and if this was lost or stolen I would call Kim Jong-il up and ask if I could borrow a bomb or twenty so I could find f--ker who stole it, or if I lost it I would punish myself with a diet of nothing but Healthy choice dinners and lock myself in my basement for three weeks. // 10

Set This World Ablaze Reviewed by: supreemo, on may 04, 2006

Sound: I love Killswitch's sound, its so brutal but at the same time it can be very melodic. Whether it's Jesse Leach singing or Howard Jones, they're still the same hardcore wonders they always were. Joel and Adam are absolutely amazing guitarists. Their squeels are the most electrifying squeels I've ever heard, except maybe for Zakk Wylde. // 9

Content: They difinetly picked the best songs for their live show. They mix up their old stuff with their new stuff to create a incredible journey from start to finish. Many of their songs are also altered slightly, mostly by Adam who enjoys many onstage antics. Some may find his childish behaviour but I find it quite refreshing, after all, who wants to stare at a depressed metal head for an hour and a half. I'm not entirely sure that "Rose Of Sharyn" is the best song to end with. as well as the great live video there is a load of bonus videos retelling the bands history and recording progresses, as well as some useless but interesting videos (one consisting of funny drunk moments in the Killswitch bus). In total I think there is about 4 hours of footage to watch. // 10

Production Quality: They sound of the live concert is mind blowing and the quality of Mike D's artwork is astounding. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive thing on this DVD is the performance footage. This concert blows my mind. I love everything about this DVD, from start to finish. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again in a second. // 10

Set This World Ablaze Reviewed by: LoW, on august 21, 2006

Sound: If you are friend of modern/underground metal, KsE is the one of the most coolest band around, and this DVD shows, how great they really are live! They sounds heavier than ever, on their home arena, Worcester, Massachusetts. The drum sets bass drums bumps heavier than ever. // 10

Content: This DVD includes: Live show, 1:30 minutes long documentary, on the road parts, and videos. Live show is over 75 min long and including also encore. They play 17 song alive and there is 5 videos. The documentary includes interwiews from bands like Unearth, Slipknot, Lamb Of God and Mastodon. // 10

Production Quality: On the DVD there is no such things as tricks but the main menu and other places on DVD is cool and backing tracks from KsE are really, Heavy. One time I just started to listen backing and I 'woke up' in few minutes, and I say, they are good. The cover of the DVD makes you turn your head and I didn't now much about of KsE before I bought this. // 9

Overall Impression: I really got into other bands that does interwiews in the album and I like very much now! I really got into the documentary and on the road parts, maybe just because of there guitarist Adan D.! He is the most funniest guy in whole metal genre. Only thing I hate in this DVD is that they talk and show too much of ex-KsE singer, Jesse Leach. And hell yeah I would buy new one if this would been stolen! // 9

Set This World Ablaze Reviewed by: phatjohnson16, on june 27, 2007

Sound: First off, this DVD is one of my favorites in my entire collection. This band is flawless. Howard Jones has one of the best clean voices I've ever heard, and his screams are extremely powerful. He has one of those voices that just traps you into liking their music. Adam D. and Joel are 2 of Metal's most underrated guitarists today. Their styles are so much alike, they just have a perfect chemistry when they play or write together. Mike D. just has an awesome stage presence and gives the kids who come out a great show. and last but definitely not least is Justin Foley. He has perfect tempo on drums. Everything is precise, to put it plain and simple. Justin is an embarrassingly good player. This band has released 4 studio albums so far in their career, and none of them are a let down. // 10

Content: The sound quality on this DVD during the concert is amazing. Not to mention they played every song better than the original itself. There is also a few hours of documentary that goes throughout the entire bands early days and how Killswitch Engage came to be. It is a nice watch and doesn't get boring at all. // 10

Production Quality: The Production Quality is amazingly great on this dvd. The sound is very very good on the live footage because all of the mics and instruments were directly plugged into the camera's as they were recording. They are a very trendy band, but then again, they don't let their ego's get in the way of the music they love to play. They have a love for the music that money could never overcome. // 9

Overall Impression: Watching this DVD will just make you love this band even more than you already do. The most impressive thing for me on this DVD is the fact that they played so well live. I love everything about this dvd, and hate nothing. If this were stolen I would instantly make my way to my car and buy it again. No questions asked. // 10

Set This World Ablaze Reviewed by: sandfighter, on october 04, 2007

Sound: I was trying to get my hands on that DVD for the last few months and now I am fully satisfied. Great job to all tech guys responsible for sound engineering. This was incredible, very sophisticated sound of distortion and famous Caparison guitars. DVD itself sets standards for other artists trying to record some live shows. You can hear clear sounds of music/vocals, but during certain moments crowd sings together with Howard. Great hardware settings Adam D. // 10

Content: DVD contains pure, remastered live show recorded in Worcester, MA. As well we got some band history, but produced very well, so it's not boring. It's literally awesome! You gonna be laughing every 2 minutes. Apart from standard content, we can get access to all bands videos released till 2005 (including The End Of Heartache and Rose Of Sharyn). All in DVD quality so don't worry about downloading them from the Internet. To sum up, this DVD is fully loaded with KSE stuff so badly that it takes about 3 hrs to get through this.And we got a lot of extra footage. // 10

Production Quality: I have to say: thank you! to all folks responsible for production. This is the best live DVD I have ever seen in my life. Amazing quality, both video and sound, great camera angles, I could see even riffs played by Joel. What can I really say, you rules guys! // 10

Overall Impression: Songs where perfectly compose into the athmosphere during this show. Great sound and they played it with such a passion, so you couldn't be more happy seeing them all on stage. I love the sound, when they are playing those tracks with a little bit more finesse than on album. And one more thing, Justin got a different drum kit than in studio. Sounds better! If this were stolen, yes I would buy it again and again. It's a diamond in my collection of gems. // 10

Comments