Led Zeppelin Review

artist: led zeppelin date: 07/15/2008 category: dvd
led zeppelin: Led Zeppelin
Released: May 27, 2003
Legendary and long sought-after, this live Led Zeppelin collection is nothing less than the rock music equivalent of the Holy Grail. Quite simply, this is what all the fuss was about.
 Content: 9.7
 Production Quality: 9
 9.3
 9.6
reviews (11) 18 comments vote for this dvd:
Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2005

Sound: Of all the hard rock/heavy metal bands in the world, Zeppelin remains the greatest. It is not great because it's loud, or because the band's energy overcomes their lack of talent (the Ramones). They are a band that will last forever; they had the talent and the energy. This DVD shows that to its fullest. As a guitarist, the highlight for me is of course Page, but there's so much more to enjoy. Robert Plant croons and sways with the music, creating the metal moves we know they will become. John Bonham is among the greatest drummers of all time, as made evident by his solo on Moby Dick. John Paul Jones adds a great bass lines. He is the most underrated memeber of the band, because in most of today's bands the bass gets lost admist the other instruments. He also proves capable of handling several instruments, from keyboard to mandolin. Jimmy Page is a god. He has created riffs so catchy and memeberable that they will never die. His solos on this DVD are nothing short of incredible, thanks to improv that will blow you away. Also, people need to stop beating up Plant for his lyrics. Every song is not meant to bring you to tears, but to lift your spirits and have you enjoy the song. His lyrics do that. People who say his lyrics don't touch them have missed the point. // 10

Content: This DVD is packed with jewels. All the live songs blow the album versions out of the sky. Special features include a few interviews with various members of the band and a couple of promo songs where the sound has not been cleaned up as much. It is interesting to hear the band speak about themselves at the time, but the focus is (and certainly should be) on the performances. It looks and sounds fantastic and features lots of shows on the two discs. Look at another review for a full set list, but most of the songs you know and love are included in this DVD. // 10

Production Quality: Great sound and video. Enough said. They spent ages finding the material and cleaning it up for this release, and it shows so much. The version of the Immigrant Song is pieced together from two different shows, so it's not great (though the song is). I guess they couldn't find a decent version of it, and being a fan favorite, they had to think of a way to get it in. // 10

Overall Impression: Every memeber is so talented and so intersted. You can tell, especially on the DVD's final show, that they had fun doing what they did. This said, Page is the highlight. Stairway to Heaven live is unbelievable, the solo reaching emotional hights not hit even in the ablum version. His use of the violin bow on Dazed and Confused is infintely creative. Who else would have thought of it? Since I've Been Loving You features more great improv, as does White Summer and numerous others. I would buy it immediately if it were stolen or lost. It absolutely puts other live discs to shame. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2005

Sound: Since it's Led Zeppelin where talking about the sound was brilliant. Although I thought that some of Jimmy Page's guitar solo's where a bit sloppy for example Trampled Underfoot or I Can't Quit You, and some of the clips of there very early stuff and the Communication Breakdown video where not that great. But overall the sound was excellent. // 8

Content: The DVD has lots and lots of brilliant footage and unlike the Song Remains The Same this DVD shows what Led Zeppelin are all about. With a far better song selection starting off with the early days at the Royal Albert Hall and going all the way to there very last concert Knebworth, this has a hell of a lot in it. There are also some interviews with the band which for Led Zeppelin is very rare. This DVD captures the brilliance of Led Zeppelin live, and it really shows what a talented band they where. With a stunning performance of Moby Dick that far surpasses the one on the Song Remains The Same. I have never seen a better Live band. // 10

Production Quality: For something that came out of the seventies the production is pretty good not amazing but good. Some of the footage seems to go out of focus a bit but it still pretty amazing considering how old the footage was. // 8

Overall Impression: I've seen Jimi Hendrix Live, Eric Clapton, Guns N' Roses, Queen, AC/DC, Black Sabbath all of which are amazing live artists and bands, but none of them even come close to Led Zeppelin and this DVD just backs up my point 100%! I don't think ever will see a band like Led Zeppelin again that is why I will always have a copy of this DVD. The only thing I don't like about this DVD is the fact that I wish there could have been more songs on it. Listening to Zeppelin albums is amazing but watching them live is just a completely different ball game, they are just stunning and I wish I could have have seen they performe live, but hey this DVD is not far from the truth! // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: rapxeon, on december 22, 2005

Sound: The sound just coming into the LA Forum at the beginning was the most spectacular sound I have ever heard. 22 seconds in, The blam of Jimmy page and John bonham begin with the Immigrant song. Disc 1 starts with Misty Mountain Hop, at the Royal Albert Hall, Very Spectacular. They used a grungy type at the Royal Albert Hall, and disk 2 has 3 concerts, The Madison Square Garden, Earls Court and Knebworth. All which the video and sound are very good quality. // 8

Content: The DVD Features interviews, promos, music videos of Communication Breakdown and Dazed and confused with the tours done in Denmark. This a live concert DVD so the sound with surround sound is amazing. Definitly worth it. // 10

Production Quality: It's just your standard DVD with 2 Disks. Simple menu to choose what song you want, then blam. Your put into one of the seats at the concert and watch as they perform. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a definite buy for any Led Zeppelin fan, the most impressive thing about the DVD was the quality of the video from the '70s. How the film enhancers regrained the picture was absoulutely astounding comparing it to some of the other DVD's I have seen in the past. I love how it gives off this sort of pumping off motion of you, hearing Black Dog starts off gives me chills down my back with excitement, It might be just me, but this is a definite 10. If it was stolen or lost, I'd just buy another one, the price tag isn't to bad for 30$ // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2004

Sound: This is the stunning, astounding, magnificent dvd which was released last year in 2003. The sound was magnificent. They really digtally remastered the songs. Theirs alot of blues and hard rock songs. The sound was so perfect it felt like as if you were there watching them live! // 10

Content: The contents in this DVD is really something. You got like 3 or 4 concerts in 2 discs. It is live. The bonus features are very good. They have some clips of Led Zeppelin when they started out. Very Amazing. It even has some music videos and interviews. The interviews were really cool. That was the first time I heard Jimmy Page speak. He has a soft voice. Good Stuff. // 10

Production Quality: They really produced this really well. The picture is really sharp. The people who helped restore the concert footages and everything on this DVD really took their time. // 10

Overall Impression: This is magnificent. This is the best music DVD I own. The most impressive thing about this DVD is its 5 hours and 20 minutes long. All for 30 dollars! It is worth every penny. I love everything about this DVD. If it was stolen or lost I'd buy another one. So go get it. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: ebashnitzil, on october 18, 2004

Sound: I have always been influenced by Led Zeppelin even at a very younge age. The classic crazy guitar stylings of Jimmy Page, awesome drums of John *Bonzo* Bonham, and John Paul jones funky jazz bass. But when I saw this DVD for sale for 12 USD used at "Music for Less," I had to buy. The DVD was created from videos of Zeppelin in their old concerts from 1969-1979 - basically resurected from the dead. The sound was very good on most of there songs, but on some videos (like Denmark Radio Special, in black and white broadcast) the sound was low quality. // 10

Content: This DVD box set clocks over 5 hours of play time, and has all the landmark/rememberable concert of Led Zeppelin including Interviews and Promos. This DVD is mostly live footage. The DVD holds tons of popular Led Zeppelin songs like "Stairway To Heaven," "Whole Lotta Love" (twice!), and many more. I was very satisfied with the song collection. But I was dissapointed that they couldn't get "Heartbreaker" on there. They said the video/sound was "corrupted." // 10

Production Quality: Most of the DVD comes in great picture, but some of the older stuff is a little bit low quality, but is as good as broadcast television (except some of the "clips" (extras) on the 1st disk, and an Immigrant song video, but that was supposed to be vintage). They had a lot of good production, especially the sound. This DVD box set was digitally mastered in an "Unearthed, Unheard" direction. // 8

Overall Impression: This DVD made my head spin and blew my mind, if you are a Led Zeppelin fan - this DVD box set is a must have. This DVD is defenatly great for those people who missed Led Zeppelin around the first time (like me). I was extremely impressed by Jimmy Page's guitar solos and John Paul Jones bass/piano skill. In "Moby Dick," John Bonham goes wild on a drum solo that last atleast 5 minutes long! I personally loved "Live At Madison Square Garden - 1973" - the picture quality blew my mind there. I've never seen any Music Video/Live Performance in such good quality! Either though I have seen this DVD start to finish numerous times, if I lost it or it was stolen from me, I would buy it again. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: xmrchainsawx, on december 23, 2005

Sound: This is a great recreation of the feel of Zeppelin live. They did a great job on making you feel like your actually there. Its great for people like me, who weren't even born back then, or for people like my father, who just want to relive the glory days of music. // 8

Content: The DVD featured several concerts, and it also featured some BBC airings I believe. This set is compiled of some of the early days with songs like 'Communication Breakdown' and 'Dazed and Confused' and from the latter days, with 'Stairway To Heaven', 'Black Dog', and 'Rock And Roll'. // 10

Production Quality: Like I said earlier, this is an amazing DVD set which is flawless. The production quality is amazing for the fact that technology back in the day is sub-par compared to today's levels, yet they make this seem like new footage. // 9

Overall Impression: Simply put, This DVD set is amazing. My little brother bought it for my father's birthday three months ago for $15 bucks, and we've been offered $40 dollars and up to buy it. If this thing were lost or stolen, I'd be heartbroken first-of-all, but I would definatly buy it again. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: BasketCaseGVD, on april 10, 2006

Sound: This DVD just makes the greatest hard rock band look even better. The quality of the sound seems if it came right out of the recording studio. Jimmy Page's drawn out solos are so creative, and be sure to watch Dazed and Confused. He used a cello bow. The whole crowd watched in awe, along with Robert Plant. I was amazed and tried it myself. The DVD fits right in with Led Zep's style. They just turn a 4 minute song into a 30 minute jam session. I timed John Bohnam's Moby Dick drum solo just at 30 minutes. This is probably the best compilations of concerts I have watched. // 10

Content: The DVD contains segments of 5 of Led Zeppelin's concerts. There are also a few interviews and some promos. 1 of the 2 disks is totally devoted to an early Zep concert at Royal Albert Hall, with all of the best songs from Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin II (We're Gonna Groove; I Can't Quit You Baby; Dazed and Confused; White Summer; What Is and What Should Never Be; How Many More Times; Moby Dick; Whole Lotta Love; Communication Breakdown; C'mon Everybody; Something Else; and Bring It On Home). DVD 2 has later Zep material including Immigrant Song in it's own concert, a show at MSG (Black Dog; Misty Mountain Hop; Since I've Been Loving You; The Ocean). The next concert is at Earl's Court and a lot of it is their acoustic stuff, but not all. (Going to California; That's the Way; Bron-Y-Aur Stomp; In My Time of Dying; Trampled Underfoot; Stairway to Heaven) The final concert on the DVD was at Knebworth (Rock and Roll; Nobody's Fault but Mine; Sick Again; Achilles Last Stand; In the Evening; Kashmir; Whole Lotta Love) I was a little dissapointed when I saw that The Song Remains the Same or No Quarter was not in this DVD. It would also be nice if they had shots of Page playing the Theremin in WHole lotta love. Overall I was pleased with the content. // 9

Production Quality: The production quality is awesome. The shots were remastered dozens of times before they made it to this DVD. I read somewehe else these concerts were the ones rejected by Jimmy Page to be in The Song Remains the Same. It was pretty cool when the editors made the picture go phychedelic and mirror images of the band. The picture along with the sound made me feel I was there 30 years ago. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD just puts even more into Led Zeppelin's reputation. The most impressive thing on this DVD is the improvs. Jimmy Page's drawn out solos left me with a dropped jaw, along with his violin bow innovation. I was dumbstruck by John Bohnam's Moby Dick. I just love this DVD all around, and there is nothing not to love. I would definatly buy this DVD again if it were to be taken out if my hands. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: Modernmusich8er, on april 18, 2006

Sound: This whole DVD set is a must own for any fan of classic rock in general. If you're are a Zeppelin fan and don't own this, you aren't a true Led Zeppelin fan. Though the earliest video is from 1970 at the Royal Albert Hall, it sounds like it was recorded yesterday. The last show in the DVD goes all the way up to the Knebworth festival in 1979, which looks and sounds like you are at the show as you're watching it. If you are under the age of 40, chances are you never got to see Zeppelin live. This is the next best thing. I can't say much more than you should buy this DVD set, it's really cheap, and you will get more than your money's worth. // 10

Content: I am a huge Rush fan, I'm a bigger Led Zeppelin fan, but Zepplin never had that great of lyrics, but who really does? I can't think of many rock bands that have lyrics that didn't include drugs and women. This is Zeppelin's weakest point, it's lyrics. I really don't care though, because the music simply makes up for it. // 8

Production Quality: The production of this set is simply amazing. How the production team made this old of performances sound this good is way over my head. It explains in this booklet how they did it (I fouond it odd they baked the footage in a special oven for 3 weeks). If you didn't know who Led Zeppelin was, you would think the band was a recent band (except for the Royal Albert Hall footage, you can just tell that it's ancient). // 10

Overall Impression: You should log off your computer and go buy this DVD set if you don't own it. If you do own it, go watch it. Led Zeppelin is the best band in rock n roll history in my opinion, and this DVD ste showcases 4 legendary performances (with a few goodies in the special features, including an old black and white show that lasts for a half an hour. This is Zeppelin at it's best, and it doesn't get any better than this. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: guitar_force, on july 01, 2006

Sound: Led Zeppelin DVD: you know when I started playing my guitar my first influences were bands like Led Zeppelin. Now of course it's shadows fall and kilswitch engage but I heard about this and decided to buy it. I was worried that it would be like the song remains the same but when I put it in the sound just went over my head. This is live from 1970! I mean come on, how could something that was so old be revised and brought back like this. // 10

Content: I haven't even got to the visual yet. The opening footage was a 1970 concert held in Royal Albert hall. It was amazing seeing my hero Jimmy Page with the longest thickest black hair playing his guitar which was great sounding espeacially since this was old aged footage. Robert plant wailing and dancing around, John Paul Jones was even mysterious then and the infamous John "Bonzo" Bonham was amazing with his solo "Moby Dick". Also on disc one was alot of extra footage. A promo called comunication breakdown, a performance at Danmarks Radio. The set list for Danmarks Radio was Communication breakdown, Babe I'm gonna leave you, dazed and confused, and how many more times. A song called dazed and confused was performed on the supershow, and the footage at tous En Scene in France, the set list was communication breakdown and dazed and confused. A rumble of the crowed grew larger as the camera takes you into a venue in outside california of the thunderous immigrant song in 1972. Then the crowd again but in Madison Square Garden, New York City. A Blast of guitar starts Rober Plant in his opening line of Black Dog..." Hey hey moma said the way you move, gonna make you sweat gonna make you grove" and it was mind blowing to see this. It was 1973 and the songs were Black Dog, misty mountain hop, since I've been loving you, and the ocean. The other concerts which was Earls Court 1975 which had a mind blowing acoustic set list, set list/going to california, that's the way, bron yr aur stomp, in my time of dying, trampled underfoot, and the finally I got to see Jimmy Page and his double neck on stairway to heaven. Four year's later (1979) in Knebworth seen the final stages of the fall of Led Zeppelin. It was great but the reason why I say it's the fall of them was because as we all know John Bonham died the next year and Led Zeppelin wasn't the same. Setlist: Rock And Roll, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Sick Again, Achilles Last Stand (Jimmy at his finest), In The Evening, Kashmir (lyrical heaven) and a jam of Whole Lotta Love. The extras on disc two were pretty cool, had a NYC press conference which including Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Also had down under which was old footage, a Robert Plant interview the old grey whistle test and promos. The promos were over the hills and far away and traveing river side blues. // 10

Production Quality: The best quality of any Led Zeppelin Footage I have ever seen, visually and audio. Some defects like you see Jimmy Page playing a guitar part but the sound isnt with it, its another part playing. // 8

Overall Impression: The impressive part is not only the sound but the visual, a long way from the Song Remains The Same. And if you havent yet bought this buy it and yes I would rebuy it if I lost it. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: Page&HammettFan, on november 25, 2006

Sound: This DVD was so incredible when I first wateched it with my Father. From hard rock to acoustic music, this DVD contains the only official live versions of a lot of songs (without buying any bootleg version of them) such as Achilles Last Stand, In the Evening, I'm not sure if Misty Mountain Hop or The Ocean were on any other DVDs. And these were only on the second disc. Disc one has the song White Summer, which was an incredible guitar solo by Jimmy Page, Bring it on Home all the way through. This was just a site to see. Some hidden features were really old live versions of songs such as Dazed and Confused, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and Communication Breakdown, which are also on the setlist itself. But those songs were from the very early days of Zeppelin, possibly before they even recorded the album. The use of the theremin on Whole Lotta Love and the violin bow on Dazed and Confused were, as to be expected of Led Zeppelin, incredible to see. // 10

Content: This DVD contains multiple shows on it, the first disc features an entire show that they did in 1970, as well as the bonus tracks I spoke of that can be viewed in the menu area under extras. The second disc starts off with the 'Led Zeppelin: How the West Was Won' version of the 'Immigrant Song'. This was just the song being played, Jimmy just gave it footage from a different song. It was still cool to watch though. Then they moved on to Madison square Garden, where the setlist was: Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, Since I've Been Loving You, The Ocean. This footage was remastered from the first Led Zeppelin DVD The Song Remains the Same. This DVD is only fragments of shows for whatever reason (a lack of footage/music). The next show features a few coustic songs, Going to California That's the Way and Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp. This revealed a different side of Led Zeppelin, that doesn't recieve very much if any radio play, that is a site to behold. Jimmy Page plays very clean on this, and is incredible to watch. Not to mention JPJ's Mandolin work and Plant's vocals. Then they play the only official live releases to date of the songs 'In My Time of Dying' and 'Trampled Underfoot'. Watching both of these were amazing. They then close this show with the song, which is my very favorite version, Stairway to Heaven. There is only one word to describe this, mindblowing. I get so excited every time I watch this, and this portion alone makes it worth buying. Then they switch shows yet again, Jump ahead to 1979, (the last show with everything from Bron-Yr-Aur to Stairway was from I think '75). This kicks off with the famous, Rock and Roll. It then plays Nobdy's Fault But Mine, which was incredible, to Sick Again, Achilles Last Stand, In the Evening, then Kashmir, then they play what is not my very favorite version of Whole Lotta Love, this one's rather weak. But overall this was good. // 10

Production Quality: The production on this was incredible. Everything, the crowd, the footage, and the music was very clear, it was like listening to a studio album with a crowd, that clear. Jimmy Page did do some tricks with Robert's voice and the instruments and what not to make it sound as good as he could, and he did a great job, without the original bootleged shows you can't tell that he changed anything. You can read about this at 'http://www.simplyled.org/thegardentapes.html'. This will reveall all live Led Zeppelin production tricks. But, it was still all in the purpose of giving the consumer the best thing possible, and I do not complain about any of it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is positively the best live DVD I have ever seen and probably the best one in existence, anyone who even remotely likes Led Zeppelin should buy this. To single out one thing on here would be an injustice to the DVD. But I will say that I enjoy seeing their interviews and Early show footage. There is honestly nothing that I can say I hate about it, and eveything about it I love. If it were lost or stolen, I can honestly say I would replace it as soon as possible, as well as try and recover the old one, even if it meant owning two. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: jasonvel, on july 15, 2008

Sound: Now, first of all, Led Zeppelin is a great band, and for many years proceding to the release of The Song Ramains The Same (1976) people always wanted more Zeppelin Live performances. The wait finally ended in 2003 when this DVD was released, it was a really long wait, but you know what, it was worth it. The remasterization on this DVD is awesome, Jimmy Page like always probing he is an amazing producer. The interpretations of each and everyone of this songs is amazing, for something they are the masters. And even the little clips on the menus are greatelly made. I couldnt be more pleased with this DVD. // 10

Content: This DVD features really good Led Zeppelin preformances. The first DVD includes 12 songs from the 1970 concert in Royal Albert Hall. And the second DVD includes 4 songs from the 1973 Madison Square Garden concert. // 10

Production Quality: The quality of this DVD is the best that we can ask for, is again in my opinion the best live concert(s) DVD that Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page himself has ever produced. he carefullness they put in to make the whole package is unvelieble, every time I see it I get amazed. One of the best songs in the DVD is Bron Yr Aur Stomp, the way they play it live is amazingly different from the album version. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion this doesnt't compare to The Song Remains The Same/Madison Square Garden's 1973 concert, because this DVD gives you the oportunity to see Led Zeppelin's evolution through out the years of their carrers. From the starting, younger, unexperienced to a more older, mature and full of creativity Zeppelin. And another really important point is that in the 1973 concert, they only play songs from Led Zeppelin I to Houses Of The Holy and in this DVD you can even hear a song from In Through the Out Door (In The Evening). Those 2 points are why for me this is the best Led Zeppelin DVD you can buy or see so far. // 10

More Led Zeppelin reviews rating latest review