Lyve From Steel Town Review

artist: lynyrd skynyrd date: 03/13/2008 category: dvd
lynyrd skynyrd: Lyve From Steel Town
Release Date: September 28, 1999
Lynyrd Skynyrd's rowdy southern rock 'n' roll sound that made them role models in the eyes of many is captured in these energetic performances on this DVD.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 10
 9.7
 9.5
 9.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this dvd:
Lyve From Steel Town Reviewed by: aig91, on march 13, 2008

Sound: Still touring and going strong 10 years after reuniting, Lynyrd Skynyrd puts on yet another captivating show that is captured live on this DVD. Lynyrd Skynyrd returns once again with some familiar faces and some newer members. Johnny Van Zant, younger brother of former singer/songwriter Ronnie Van Zant, steps in for his older brother on vocals. Rickey Medlocke, former guitarist for the southern rock band Blackfoot, steps in to fill the spot Allen Collins once stood in. Hughie Thomasson, former guitarist for southern rock band The Outlaws, steps in to fill the spot that Ed King and Steve Gaines once stood in many years ago. Last but not least, drummer Owen Hale fills the spot that Bob Burns and Artimus Pyle once occupied. In a way, this is not the same band that toured 20 years ago. The newer members bring their own unique style into Lynyrd Skynyrd giving them a sound that differs from the original line-up. This concert, filmed July 15th of 1997, has a nice blend of the classic Skynyrd tunes with some more recent hits that were written with the newer members of the band. Lynyrd Skynyrd's rowdy southern rock n roll sound that made them role models in the eyes of many is captured in these energetic performances on this DVD. // 9

Content: As mentioned earlier, this DVD is a recording of a live concert that took place in Pennsylvania on July 15th of 1997. There are 15 songs recorded on this disc, each unique and exhilarating in their own right. There are also quite a bit of bonus materials included, such as interviews and behind the scenes clips with the band and crew. There's also a Lynyrd Skynyrd photo gallery, discography, a backstage pass and a written section about Skynyrd history. All of these are included on this one disc along with an hour and a half of great live music. Set list: 01. We Ain't Much Different 02. Saturday Night Special 03. What's Your Name 04. On The Hunt 05. You Got That Right 06. Voodoo Lake 07. That Smell 08. Bring It On 09. Simple Man 10. I Know A Little 11. Berneice 12. Gimme Three Steps 13. Sweet Home Alabama 14. Travellin' Man 15. Free Bird // 10

Production Quality: The production quality is great. This was recorded in 1997 so obviously technology has already come a long way by then. Everything is perfectly hearable and understandable and I have no complaints about that. The picture is in color the whole way through and is very clear. There's not a fuzzy or blurry part as far as the picture quality goes. Overall, I'd have to say that the production quality is very impressive. I'm not really disappointed with anything in this regard. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I must say I am very satisfied with this disc. I love the set list and all the bonus materials included on this disc. There's nothing that I really have a problem with. One of the parts on here I really enjoy is the guitar duel that the three guitarists get into before beginning the song I Know A Little. I constantly find myself rewinding that part to watch it again. Another part I really appreciate is Free Bird played as a closing song. I don't think there could be a better way to end a show then to end with the famous Free Bird guitar solo. I would recommend this DVD to anyone who is a diehard fan of rock 'n' roll or anyone who is looking for some lively performances packed with blazing guitar work and guitar duels/duets. If this disc were stolen or damaged I would replace it as soon as possible. This is an important part of my DVD collection and I cannot see myself without it. // 9

More Lynyrd Skynyrd reviews rating latest review