S&M Review

artist: metallica date: 05/29/2007 category: dvd
metallica: S&M
Released: Jun 1, 2002
The sound of this live DVD is great. It's suprising how good classical instruments can sound next to thrash metal! The most impressive thing on the DVD is the amazing rendition of One.
 Content: 9.1
 Production Quality: 9
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (9) 37 comments vote for this dvd:
S&M Reviewed by: RIPdime, on february 03, 2005

Sound: The sound on this DVD/CD is incredible. The orchestra really give it an extra boost and it makes the songs so much stronger and they almost seem perfect. Like the 'tallica guys said in the extra documentary the orchestra's background tunes are beautiful even without the guitars, drums etc. // 10

Content: The content on this album is very well suited for the orchestra, you can understand that songs like "So What" and "Am I Evil" couldn't be played because I'm sure the orchestra wouldn't approve. Disc one: 01. The Ecstasy Of Gold - orchestra 02. The Call Of Ktulu 03. Master Of Puppets 04. Of Wolf And Man 05. The Thing That Should Not Be 06. Fuel 07. The Memory Remains 08. No Leaf Clover 09. Hero Of The Day 10. Devil's Dance 11. Bleeding Me Disc two: 01. Nothing Else Matters 02. Until It Sleeps 03. For Whom The Bell Tolls 04. Human 05. Wherever I May Roam 06. Outlaw Torn 07. Sad But True 08. One 09. Enter Sandman 10. Battery The content is totally great, it even features two new songs (No Leaf Clover and Human) and a 41 minute S&M documentary on how it all was done and you kind of get to know the meastro, it also has interviews with band members and you can choose camera angles on some songs to ckeck out what each of the guys are doin'. // 10

Production Quality: The production quality is pretty ace, the lighting effects are great, there's a little intro type thing to "One" which is nice. Like I said the lighting is pretty cool, the back ground screen shows neat patterns and swollen pictures of the guys in action. // 10

Overall Impression: Many bands have worked with orchestra's all over the world, but in any of them there wasn't as much inspiration, power and melodic songs. Its a very mellow and easy going DVD, hardly any swearing, no nudity or anything of that nature. Watching Kirk's face after a guy does a stage dive during "Outlaw Torn" is pretty funny. This is a truly great DVD and any 'tallica fan should own it. Some of the perfomances in this are much better than studio versions. If I lost my copy I would definatly get another copy. // 10

S&M Reviewed by: GuitarDesperado, on september 25, 2005

Sound: Metallica? With an ochestra? Very true! Some people would frown on this and maybe say Metallica went away from their roots and turned to sell-outs, but this is very stunning on what the maestro (Michael Kamen) and Metallica have put together! The sound is great, nothing less than expected from Metallica, even with 100+ back-up musicians to boot! With over twenty songs on the two discs it is well worth the price to sit down, watch, and listen to one of the world's greatest thrash metallers go to town with an orchestra! // 9

Content: The DVD has two new songs never released on CD. Those two are "No Leaf Clover" and "- Human" (Minus Human). Two great songs done with Metallica and the Orchestra. Below is the set list and my opinions and ratings out of five possible points for each song. Disc One: 01. The Ecstasy Of Gold - the introduction of the concert. It's short, but sets everyone in the mood for the upcoming song very nicely. This is just the symphony playing 4/5. 02. The Call Of Ktulu - the first song Metallica plays, and what better way than to start off with an instrumental? There is a flaw to this one, though, and that's it's ever-lasting length of it, but the orchestra adds quite a bit to the song, so it's not as redundant sounding as before 4/5. 03. Master Of Puppets - the symphony adds a lot to the opening piece of MoP, but as the song progresses, I think they downgrade the quality, but again, a great job done, and compared to some live concerts, they actually play the entire song. Hetfield also has the the crowd sing a lot of the lyrics 4/5. 04. Of Wolf And Man - a great song from the Black Album and even better done with the symphony! One of the best songs from the concert in my opinion 5/5. 05. The Thing That Should Not Be - as with "Of Wolf And Man," the symphony adds so much to this song. A very good rendition of it 5/5. 06. Fuel - not the better sounding song on the CD, but very great coming live with the symphony 5/5. 07. The Memory Remains - a good song from the Re-Load album. Not one of the better songs on the DVD, and probably could have added a different song to the set list 3/5. 08. No Leaf Clover - the first out of two new songs done by Metallica and the symphony. This song is great, but a little wobbly. Very interesting to listen to the first couple of times 5/5. 09. Hero Of The Day - a good song, and good with the symphony. Not my favorite solo in the world done by Metallica, but good to listen to 4/5. 10. Devil's Dance - this one expresses more-so to the symphony's sound, and they do a great job 5/5. 11. Bleeding Me - another good addition for the symphony and Metallica. Enough said 4/5. Disc Two: 01. Nothing Else Matters - after an intermission and a lot of clapping and cheering, they open it back up with this great ballad. Compared to the CD, you can actually hear a lot more of the symphony playing 5/5. 02. Until It Sleeps - this is another song that expresses a lot of emotion through the symphony's sound. Great job 5/5. 3. For Whom The Bell Tolls - a good job. Very emotional, but like with the CD, not a very good ending 4/5. 04. - Human - as the previous reviews have called this "Human" it's actually called "Minus Human," the second new song done with the symphony. I love this song, and has more of a hard rock feel to it 5/5. 05. Wherever I May Roam - great job yet again done by the symphony. You can hear a lot of emotion coming from them and it adds a lot to the song compared to the CD 5/5. 06. Outlaw Torn - not my most favorite song from Metallica, but the symphony boost that morale quite a bit, plus I do believe during the song a person has a little stage dive moment and the camera puts it in slow motion 3/5. 07. Sad But True - "OK, I think we're going to play something heavy now." As said by Hetfield before opening up this great song from the Black Album. Great job, guys 5/5. 08. One - a great song, and they change its sound a bit from the actual CD. A little intro on the DVD that quickly plays back the events that happened on the DVD as the gun fire and explosions are played and everything goes crazy when the adrenaline starts pumping in this song. The downside, in my opinion, is Hetfield and Kirk makes this song sound more patriotic than what they should have done, but it's still great 5/5. 09. Enter Sandman - after a bit of cheering and clapping yet again, they break into Enter Sandman, and the symphony adds a lot to this song. I enjoy it better than the one on CD 5/5. 10. Battery - not much to comment about this song besides the usual "Good job!" Features (as seen on the back of box) of the two disc DVD are: the entire 2 1/2 hour S&M concert; 41 minute documentary, featuring a look into the making of S&M, including behind the scene footage, interviews with Metallica, Michael Kamen, the SF Symphony, and much more; four Multi-Angel songs, which allow the viewer to choose the camera angel; full combined performance in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and stereo plus seperate stereo tracks for band and orchestra; full motion menus; DVD-Rom playability and Internet connection; close-captioning and subtitling. And the special bonus - two additional versions of "No Leaf Clover" ("Slice & Dice" video version and "Maestro Edit"). // 10

Production Quality: The main thing about this concert and the production is the lighting effects. Great job during One and a few other songs. There is not much cursing in this concert compared to past ones besides the few said in the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: What is the most impressive thing on the DVD? Metallica playing with a symphony is my best bet. I love it all, and would buy me another one and buy a few more for my friends. Also has a great cover! // 10

S&M Reviewed by: kdownes, on may 29, 2007

Sound: When you think of Metallica the last thing that comes to mind is the word orchestra. But tat was exactly what popped into Mihael Kamen's mind and so S&M was born. And Kamen doesn't just leave it with the light stuf. He tackles the heavy songs head first with mind-blowing effect. Master Of Puppets, Sad But True, Battery, The Thing That Should Not Be all are there and all are mastered. And if anything thing else was needed, James and Lars wrote two new songs especially for the concert. Somehow the thumping guitars, bass and drums and James's screaming mix in so well with the orchestra. As Kamen says "Imagine taking a very stark black and white picture, as driving and powerfully honest as pumping guitar, bass, drums and voice can be, and adding orchestral light and shade, bursts of colour, and surprising blocks of sound." // 10

Content: The DVD is double disc.Features include a 41 minute documentary with behind-the-scenes and interviews, four multi-angle songs, full combined performance in Dolby Digital 5.1 and stereo plus seperate stereo tracks for band and orchestra, DVD-ROM playability and Internet connection. The set list contains every great Metallica song as far as I am concerned, not a single let down song. // 10

Production Quality: Nothing flashy hear. Excellent quality, audio and visual, and the Multi-angle is cool, allowing you to choose which band member to watch. There is a pretty clever part at the start of 'One' when it shows the performance running backwards really fast and you can dimly see the orchestra. // 9

Overall Impression: One of my favourite DVDs. I love it and watch it over and over again. If someone was even to damage it I would murder them. I would devinately buy this again and recommend it to everyone. Buy this DVD! I love Metallica and I think this DVD really highlights how fantastic they are as musicians. I now need to find a DVD with Cliff Burton though. The documentary is fantastic and so are the new songs. // 10

S&M Reviewed by: refusedparty, on september 03, 2004

Sound: The sound of this live DVD is great. It's suprising how good classical instruments can sound next to thrash metal! Each song has an individual sound, which is cool, and you can choose if you want to turn the guitars off, or if you want to turn the classical off. I prefer both on at the same time though! // 10

Content: Metallica have let themselves down with which songs they play. The set list is: Call Of Ktulu, Master Of Puppets, Of Wolf And Man, Thing That Should Not Be, Fuel, The Memory Remains, No Leaf Clover, Hero Of The Day, Devil Dance, Bleeding Me, Nothing Else Matters, Until It Sleeps, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Human, Wherever I May Roam, Outlaw Torn, Sad But True, One, Enter Sandman, Battery. You might say "Hey they play tonnes of songs, that's great!" That is true, but they don't play the right ones. 14 songs from the average 90s albums compared to 5 songs from the classic 80s albums. Have they gone crazy? At least they play a stunning rendition of One. That made my day. // 6

Production Quality: The production quality is very slick. The menus are good and easy, the documentary is funny and interesting and the angles are original. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is I'm impressed. Everything is right - they just don't play the right songs. The most impressive thing on the DVD is the amazing rendition of One, which every must see! If it were stolen, I would certainly consider buying it again! // 8

S&M Reviewed by: iamhighonchrist, on september 24, 2005

Sound: Many, many bands do concerts with orchestras, but Metallica did it right. They have James' guitar set up so well that when he plays "Nothing Else Matters" like heaven. Then on "Fuel" Kurt is shredding on his guitar and there are a whole bunch of old guys behind him, but it still sounds awesome. // 10

Content: The DVD has like 20 soungs on it including alot of there old stuff. The concert is filmed live with the S&M orchestra in San Deigo CA. I was in 2003 I think. It was before they got old. But I encourage anyone and everyone to go out and but this DVD. // 10

Production Quality: The production quality is awesome. The lights and effects on stage are amazing! It's like none of there other concerts ever before. // 10

Overall Impression: I own tons and tons of CD/DVD's, but this one is by far my favorite. I would have to say that the most impressive thing on this DVD is the music. By far the music. I love everything about this DVD but they only thing I hate, is that there isnt more! If someone stole it, I would chase 'em down with a baseball bat in my hands and knock 'em out and then I'd get my DVD back. But if I couldn't cath them then I would go out and buy another one. // 10

S&M Reviewed by: oldcabage, on november 21, 2005

Sound: The whole project of Metallica, the greatest metal band of all time, playing three completely mad concerts with one of the best proffessional symphony orchestras, the San Francisco Symphony, is completely insane. Many hardcore fans thought that it went against Metallica's principles as a rock band bafflind them with comments such as "Do you think Cliff Burton would have approved?". As Lars Ulrich (drummer) states clearly in the special features, Cliff Burton would have approved. Why? Because it kicks ass. I never knew that violins and trumpets could make such a rocking sound and add so much to Metallica's songs which are all masterpieces in themselves. I do not think that this album can be compared to the classic tracks found on some of the older material such as Master Of Puppets or Ride The Lightning, however, it is a great way for completely newbie fans to get to grips with all the great songs and develop a taste for the music. // 10

Content: If you have seen the vast wave of hairy misfits that can be found at a typical Metallica concert such as those on the Binge and Purge DVD, you would be quite surprised to see a much more intimate sized audience with band members and spectators in formal dress. Nevertheless, the music does not suffer and the band members put on a show which will never be forgotten. With the complex use of melodies already in place in many Metallica songs, it was no hard task for conductor Micheal Kaman to write a fitting orchestral score. Admitedly some songs did not work as well as others. The devils dance was particularly weak in comparison to some of the great performances of the concert, including The Call of Ktulu and For Whome the Bell Tolls. The former of which won a grammy for best rock instumental later that year. // 8

Production Quality: I loved the use of the four angles on certain songs which allowed you to pick a member of the band and focus on their performance. There were some interesting faces coming from Lars as he beats the crap out of his drums and Kirk looks surprisingly comfortable compared with his usual timid self. // 9

Overall Impression: As a concert to watch, I think that this is one of the best music DVD's ever. It has won me round to, listening to classical music as well as your classic harcore metal, and if were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy this DVD again. // 10

S&M Reviewed by: pepsi_lovr, on january 09, 2006

Sound: I was a little skeptical before I listened/watched S&M, I mean an orchestra with metallica? But I was blown away, it was simply amazing and wow the sound? Don't get me started about that. Some of the songs were kinda ruined by the symphony I have to admit but others were friggin amazing with it like call of the ktulu. In that song I love the beginning and the end with James and the bells or whatever it was playing with him. // 9

Content: It's a live concert DVD, I've always wanted to go to a Metallica concert (can't wait until they release where they're goin in 2006) and I've seen a few songs in some older concerts but wow compared to those this is amazing. The symphony kinda holds them back in some of the stuff they usually do but wow! Amazing DVD. // 10

Production Quality: Really good camera angles and everything (kinda looks funny when it goes to the mike cam) the only downside is there are only 4 songs that have the optional angles, and I wouldn't exactly call them there best songs. But there not bad. Pretty good but I give this an 8 because I want to choose my angles on every song! // 8

Overall Impression: It is amazing! Really the only thing I don't like on this is the fact that the symphony does somewhat ruin some parts of there songs. But then again it balances out by making some other ones 50 million times better (Call Of The Ktulu). If this was lost or stolen I would be forced to go on a murderous rampage until I got the guy who took it. // 10

S&M Reviewed by: tjm16, on january 16, 2006

Sound: I received this DVD as a Christmas present. I have been listening to Metallica for a bit now, and I love it. However, watching this S&M concert took it to a whole new level. All the music had the same hard sound, but mixed with a classical sounding orchestra. It sounded incredible. All the guitars are tuned down half a step for the whole concert, which is annoying, because all of the songs you know and love (i.e. Master Of Puppets) sound out of tune. James' voice is also a bit weak during the first parts of the concert. Overall, really good! // 8

Content: The DVD is a double disc. It contains the whole Metallica S&M concert, which is over 2 hours long. The first half of the concert is on the first disc, and the second half is on the second disc. During the concert, they played everybodies favourite songs, from albums such as Black, Master Of Puppets, Reload, and Load. They also played 2 new songs that had not been released at the time. The DVD also features two film clips for two of their songs. // 8

Production Quality: The production quality is fine. It is fairly normal, a camera showing the band on stage, cameras sweeping the crowd, normal camera work. For a few of the songs, there are also alternate camera angles included. // 7

Overall Impression: This is the only Metallica DVD I have watched, so I have no comparisons. I love it because it is a new sound by Metallica which I had never heard before, and was quite good. However, I would prefer to watch a concert of just them playing everythjing as heavy as they can, and would probably find another concert to watch if I lost it. // 7

S&M Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on march 02, 2006

Sound: Metallica, once upon a time the masters of metal, who would have thought that songs like Master Of Puppets, For Whom The Bell Tolls, One, Battery and you know what I mean, can be played with an orchestra. When I saw the DVD I was amazed. First of all, the live performance seemed too perfect, I mean everything was right. The vocals weren't too ambitious, the drums were fast, and so was the guitar. It sounded perfect, looked awesome and showed how far Metallica have actually come. From being those young rockers who thrashed it out to release Kill 'Em All to what they were in the S&M show. // 10

Content: All the classics, One, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Master Of Puppets, Battery, Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Memory Remains, Fuel, The Thing That Should Not Be, The Call Of The Ktullu among others and two new tracks, No Leaf Clover, and Human. I loved each and every performance. I loved the way they did One, and I only wish they would have played Fade To Black also. But on the whole a great list of songs. The way Nothing Else Matters was played was fabulous. Firstly, Hetfield was sitting in the middle of a hundred people with his acoustic in hand and playing like as if it was just another day playing with an orchestra of about 100 members. And then came his awesome voice. And nothing else matters. // 10

Production Quality: Great sound, honestly it was awesome. Though I'd rather have a Live Shit Binge And Purge sound, this was different. I have to appreciate the fact that, the were playing symphony there with Metallica, talk about best of both worlds. Anyway the production was spot on, yet nothing to marvel about. // 9

Overall Impression: Great, absolutely fantastic. The songs played are great, the performances are all awesome. I loved each and every bit of the performance. A great experiment, good idea, Metallica rules! Or rather "ruled." Compare this to the DVD in St. Anger. It is not the classic metal concert, like Live Shit Binge And Purge, but is just another dimension of Metallica. // 10

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ Quebec Magnetic 7.2 01/07/2013