Some Kind Of Monster Review

artist: metallica date: 06/29/2007 category: dvd
metallica: Some Kind Of Monster
Released: January 25, 2005
Featuring the most successful heavy metal band of all time it offers a revealing and exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the legendary band as they confront personal demons and their relationships with each other while recording their Grammy-winning album, St. Anger.
 Content: 8.8
 Production Quality: 10
 9.4
 9.5
 9.3
reviews (4) 23 comments vote for this dvd:
Some Kind Of Monster Reviewed by: somepunkkid, on february 09, 2005

Sound: As most of you know Metallica released a documentary that follows them through out the three-year production of St. Anger. Most of the footage is of them recording and speaking with their shrink. The production value is high so it can be assumed that so will the sound. With Dolby Digital 6.1 surround sound support you can't go wrong. I have a 7.1 set up at home and it sounds simply amazing with how well the movie is mixed. // 8

Content: The extras on the second disc are fairly entertaining; two trailers, a music video (Some Kind Of Monster), film-makers bio, information on festivals and premiers, oh yea, and a boat load of deleted scenes. It also features comentary from the director and the band. // 6

Production Quality: It's a professional film so naturally the production values are very high, even for a documentary. The picture is very clear and there's not a lot of "shaky cam." // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great film, especially for Metallica fans, however it's very, very long. It runs at two hours and twenty minuets. At one point in the film James walks out and doesn't come back for six months, and when he returns it starts to drag a little. Probable the two best things about this film are the fact that you get to know the band a little, and it makes you like St. Anger more, well at least it did for me anyways. I recommend at least renting this, if not buying it, for it is well worth the money. // 8

Some Kind Of Monster Reviewed by: ALKoHoLiK, on april 22, 2005

Sound: The sound of the movie was very good. I don't like any song on there but it gives you the oppertunity to see a proffessional band jam and how they have made it for 23 years. The story of it is the developing of there newest album "St. Anger" and the recruiting of the newest bassist. // 10

Content: The content of the DVD is the life of Metallica at Perstudio and then to "HQ" for there newest album. The DVD isn't like a giant music video they have bits and pieces of the songs on St. Anger and the ones that got cut. All in all it's just the life of 3 members then at the end the fourth and final member to Metallica. The DVD has trailers and deleted scenes which are pretty funny. // 10

Production Quality: The production on this documentary was really awesome. It didn't shake or move to the point of wanting to throw up, it was nice and calm and captured all of the members and Bob Rock I think in a pretty good way. The technologies in this movie are pretty basic, I mean come on it's a documentary, but a damn good one at that. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive thing to me on this DVD is you would think that Lars Ulrich was just some idiot, know it all and a cold hearted bastard, but he isn't as much of one as I thought. He actually shows his feelings for James and Jason and shows that even when he gets all pissy he still cares and isn't such a selfish bastard. What I loved about it, it gave me the oppertunity to know the band more, to experience what they do on a daily bases. Gave you (and me) insight on the band and I have to say I have more respect for the album after watching this. What I hated about it was hearing most of the music off of St. Anger because I just don't like the album. If it were stolen I would definitly buy another one, because I just makes me feel like I'm closer to the band and that they aren't as arrogant as I thought. // 10

Some Kind Of Monster Reviewed by: Shabalaba, on february 20, 2007

Sound: Well it's very very good quality, I have loved Metallica for ages, this is about the production of the St. Anger album, on this website you hear people slagging off this album as well as load and other later Metallica albums. They call them sell outs, completely untrue, they play what they want to, whatever it may be, if you were in a band you would know what I mean. Anyway getting a bit off track I just had to say that. Metallica is a great band with a great metal sound. // 10

Content: As I was rambling a bit above I sorta said what this is about. It's about the making of the St. Anger album, a fabulous album. It goes as in depth as Metallica let them, Quite deep. It tells us about the relations between the worlds biggest metal band falling apart, telling us abbout the more dominent people being James and Lars. All respect to Kirt because it's as he says he trys to down his ego to be a example to the others. But then near the end they finish the album after James leaves for a year and find a new bassist. It finishes in a gig with them singing Frantic. A very good DVD. // 10

Production Quality: It's extremely well done with a lot of good moments of the band. It has even amounts of all of the band. It shows a lot of personal moments which you wouldn't expect. But yeah it's ace, very clear picture, good sound quality. Doesn't have a shakey camera. With a Metallica budget I would think it's this good anyway. It has views from all over place, in a car filming James in a little buggy, in the hills with Lars, Kirts ranch. // 10

Overall Impression: It is absalutly fabulous I love it, and I aint just saying that cos I'm a massive Metallica. You would find it interesting if you didn't like loads because it is genuinly interesting about the band on the verge of splitting whilst making a album. I think if it was stolen I would find the basterd who took it and get him/her 'cause I love it. Or I would buy a new one. // 10

Some Kind Of Monster Reviewed by: EmoxD, on june 29, 2007

Sound: The Movie "Some Kind Of Monster" is a documentary about Metallica's newest ablum "St. Anger". The band wa very close stopping because James and Lars was fighting all the time, James had problems with alcohol, and Their old bass player Jason Newsted just had left the band. The documentary goes very close to Metallica, and somebody will think something else of Metallica than they did before they saw the documentary. // 10

Content: There is a lot of deleted scenes, and extra material as "Kirk's Traffic School Song". It's a very close Documentary about Metallica's newest album "St. Anger", where you watch about 600 days of those guys lifes in Metallica. I'm very satisfied. I love this Documentary, and now I have a diferent watch of Metallica than I had before. The only minus with the documentary is that it's very long! // 9

Production Quality: The qualitey is a little hard to describe. It's good, and there isn't at lot of effect's. and I don't think that you need that in a documentary. There isn't any technologies or tricks in the documentary, and you don't need that. it's just filmed, and there is putted a few subtitles and then they are in the store. // 10

Overall Impression: The documentary only compares to Metallica. and a little "Echobrain" witch was Jasons new project. The most Impressive thing on the DVD is when james is going back to the studio from the hospital, and LArs said "Give me a riff!". Because then you know: Metallica still excists! They aren't stopped! It's very great to see Metallica over 600 days, and when they in the end play a concert where fans wrote banners: thanks because you still excists, and "We love you". I just hate that's is very long! If My "Some Kind Of Monster" DVD were stolen, then I'll buy a new. It isn't Exoensive. And if it was, I still want to buy a new! // 10

More Metallica reviews rating latest review
+ Quebec Magnetic 7.2 01/07/2013