Life On The Murder Scene Review

artist: my chemical romance date: 11/25/2006 category: dvd
my chemical romance: Life On The Murder Scene
Release Date: March 21, 2006
My Chemical Romance spreads its blood-soaked anguish and angst over a live album and DVD package that's spilling over with four-hours worth of rarities, demos, and live appearances.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 9.3
 8.3
 9.2
 7.3
reviews (4) 32 comments vote for this dvd:
Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: x_rox, on april 04, 2006

Sound: This DVD is not another documentary which becomes tedious, it is a well-produced, good quality DVD. It had good variation with the 'Making ofs' and breaking up live performances with band commentary. The overall quality was not like the CD. Gerard tends to get out of breath and skip lines. The guitar production was full of energy and interaction with fans was brilliant. It was not like the CD but this is not a ban thing, it makes it more interesting. Overall, I'd say this is pretty damn good sounding. // 9

Content: I bought this DVD in the hope it was not another documentary which became tedious and repetitive. I was right. This wasn't just another following a band around and filming a gig type DVD, it was almost an auto-biography on DVD. The DVD has a wide range of features spread evenly over 2 DVDs. I am pleased they choose to film gigs at several different places and within different time periods. It shows their progress and sound strengths. Live performances: 01. I'm Not Okay (I Promise) 02. Cemetary Drive 03. Our Lady Of Sorrows 04. Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Both Of Us 05. You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison 06. Headfirst For Halos 07. The Ghost Of You 08. Thank You For The Venom 09. Give 'em Hell Kid 10. Vampires Will Never Hurt You 11. Helena They've choosen songs from both of their albums and only included those which seem to be most popular nowadays. Was this a wise choice choosing better known songs? Yes, because it shows fans who do not get a chance to see them live how My Chemical Romance perform these songs. The range of live content from online performances to TV and Live shows is fantastic. It is in no way another 'Bullet In The Bible.' I don't think I can't fault the content. // 10

Production Quality: The camera is always at the correct angles to film what you need to see. The quality is very good and there is no point in the film which leaves you thinking 'why didn't they show it at said angle.' I don't think I have to say much here except brilliant production. // 10

Overall Impression: What to compare this to? I suppose the video diary is like Metallica's 'Some Kind Of Monster'. The live performance kicks Bullet in a Bible's ass for the fact it is better produced and has more range. Don't get me wrong, BIAB is good, but it's not great. This DVD isn't fantastic but it's great. I hope that makes sense! The most impressive thing is variation and organisation. It's organised in such a way that it's hard to be bored. I like this DVD a lot, I can fault it for things such as maybe a bigger set list for lesser known songs or when Gerard stop singing it lets the quality down a bit. Besides those minor details, I love it. I would defintely buy another if it was stolen. // 9

Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: flurgon, on april 04, 2006

Sound: Gerard Way (vocals) has a good voice but not all of it sounds exactly like the album verion, he would sometimes run out of breath and once he missed a line out of the song. Thier guitars were tuned perfectly and they played fantastic, the settings of the guitars aren't exactly like the album but in some cases it sounds better. The overall sound quality of the music was very good. The DVD was structured very well and didn't get boring. // 9

Content: The DVD includes the bands history, live performances, videos and the makings of the videos, there are 2 DVDs and 1 CD of the live perfomances. They include the most famous songs that they made also the songs that were important to them. Here are all those songs: 01. I'm Not Okay 02. Cemetery Drive 03. Our Lady Of Sorrows 04. Honey This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us 05. You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison 06. Headfirst For Halos 07. The Ghost Of You 08. Thank You For The Venom 09. Give Em Hell Kid 10. Vampires Will Never Hurt You 11. Helena I was satisfied with what I bought. // 10

Production Quality: The main menu and design of the cover was done very well, the cover is the same as the Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge cover but with real people and the main menu is those people being filmed but it has a special effect. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good DVD, It has 10 times the amount of things on it than Bullet In The Bible. The biggest highlight on thier for me was the 2 hour long video diary. I love this DVD because if you ever here another thing about My Chemical Romance you already know because its all on thier. But saying that I hate that the cover is more like a CD because it can get damaged easily. If it were stolen I would definetely go out and buy another copy. // 9

Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: Vin2254, on july 13, 2006

Sound: Well disc 1 is basically just a bio so I cant judge on that one. Disc 2 on the other hand is full of live preformances, sessions at AOL, videos along with the making of the videos, and it also has the rare original version of "I'm Not Ok". Most of the preformances are solid. Gerard is known for jumping around and bobbing his head wich sometimes hinders his vocals. All in all I love the way the live preformances are put together and the fact that they play a lot of songs off their debut "I brought you my bullets". And to top it all off it has the unreleased track " The Desert Song". // 9

Content: This is where the DVD shines. Disc 1 is basically a document on the band as they grow from a little punk band ito one of the biggest bands in the world. It shows how with the exception of the Drummer (Bob) all the members of MCR are the original members and not some corprate band that was thrown together for money. It shows their very first preformances, Gerards alcohol abuse (there is actuall footage of him wated on most of the Warped Tour), the origins of there name, there influences (Iron Maiden, Misfits, Smiths, Black Flag ect.), recording both CD's, tours with Underoath, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, It even has cameos from the singer of Killswitch Engage and the Used. My personal favorite is the section on New Jersey (because I am from there) and the great pride they show in it. After all this you'll sit back and realize all the things you thought about MCR were mostly wrong. They have not changed a bit. // 10

Production Quality: Nothing fancy here. Good interviews and camrea work. The beging screan takes a while to get to playing point. // 8

Overall Impression: I loved this DVD. I recommend this to die hard fans and I also recommend it to people who think MCR are sell outs because you'll find that they are far from it. // 9

Life On The Murder Scene Reviewed by: joannamcbeth, on november 25, 2006

Sound: I love my chemical romance. I think that you definitely would have to be a fan to watch this DVD. The things such as the video diary will probably seem boring to non fans because it is 2 hours of them talking about themselves and the band. My Chemical romance has always had a very unique sound, so I couldn't really compare the to another band. This DVD mostly focuses on the "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" album, and My Chemical Romance around that time, however on the live performances, they did do some of their songs from their earlier album, "I Bought You My Bullets, You Bought Me Your Love." // 9

Content: The DVD is split into sections. there is the CD, which has live performances, aol sessions and never before heard songs, such as the demo version of "I Never Told You What I Do For A Living" and "The Desert Song" There is then a video diary, which is more of an autobiography, spoken by the band, but it isn't boring as there is other footage. There is then another part which has their music videos, live performances, the making of these music videos, and aol sessions. The three discs have everything a fan of My Chemical Romance fan coukd ever want. I am very happy about the playlists on the DVD and CD because it is not only some of the songs from "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" but it also has some okd songs. Many people accuse bands who bring out a DVD with a CD on it to just releasing their album twice. That does not apply for "Life On The Murder Scene" The CD that is included in this package has no songs on it that are the same from any of their albums. they are all live or from aol sessions, or special unheard songs. I am very satisfied with "Life On The Murder Scene" because it is much better than I thought it would be. // 10

Production Quality: Something that I do not understand about this DVD is that whenever I play it on my TV in my room it is in black and white. I changed it to the playstation 2 and it was again in black and white, but when I watched it downstairs, or another TV, it was in colour. This may not be the DVD it may be the televison, but I just thought it was strange. It was produced very well, because it just wasn't just them talking for two hours, they have found ways to keep the viewer entertained, because even though I am a huge fan of My Chemical Romance, watching for them for around four hours can get boring. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this DVD is pretty amazing. When I picked it up in the shop, the front cover kind of made me a bit weary of buying it (sort of the same front cover as "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" other then that instead of Gerard drawing it, it is real people, covered in blood). If you watch the whole of this DVD, will you will know anything and everything there is to know about my chemical romance. It will probably make you like them even more. What I particularly love about it is all of the funny bits in the video diary, such as the band messing about and having a fun time. What I don't really like about it is the fact that the video diary does drag on a bit. I am a devoted fan of MCR, and at some parts I got bored, I think that if a person who wasn't particulaly into my chemical romance would watch it they would probably get bored early and turn it off. And I would buy it again if it got lost and stolen, but it wouldn't be at the top of my list to buy it again. // 7

More My Chemical Romance reviews rating latest review