Live At The Paramount Review

artist: nirvana date: 02/16/2012 category: dvd
nirvana: Live At The Paramount
Released: Sep 27, 2011
"Live At The Paramount" is a live video by Nirvana released in 2011. It was released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc as part of the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's "Nevermind" album. It showcases a live performance at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle from October 31, 1991.
 Content: 7
 Production Quality: 8
 8.7
 9.4
review (1) 2 comments vote for this dvd:
Live At The Paramount Reviewed by: RockstarAdam, on february 16, 2012

Sound: The band was very impressive throughout the entire concert. There is nothing major that I would have changed. Some of their songs sounded way better live than if you bought their album ("Drain You", "Breed"). While the sound was good, the only thing that annoyed me slightly was how Cobain would make his guitar squeal between nearly every song, although this wasn't really a bad thing. It kind of set the mood of the entire concert in the way that Nirvana is all about: making noise and not giving a damn who hates it. They had absolutely no problems with their equipment or vocals and they sounded great throughout. // 8

Content: The content featured on the DVD was the entire concert as the audience saw it. There were no cutscenes between songs and the whole thing flowed really well. The songs that were performed are listed below, with my OPINION of how they sounded (don't go biting my head off because I don't like your favorite song) 01. "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam" (cover of the original work by The Vaselines)(Very well done, a decent cover) 02. "Aneurysm" (Well done, but not my favorite song) 03. "Drain You" (Excellent, much better than the album) 04. "School" (Amazing, legendary song) 05. "Floyd The Barber" (Good, but not my favorite) 06. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (AMAZING, never gets old) 07. "About A Girl" (Good, I like it) 08. "Polly" (Great song, gets repetitive) 09. "Breed" (Great, one of the best) 10. "Sliver" (Great, wish it was longer) 11. "Love Buzz" (Shocking Blue cover) (Good, not my favorite) 12. "Lithium" (Great, possibly my favorite) 13. "Been A Son" (Very good, no complaints) 14. "Negative Creep" (Good, not bad) 15. "On A Plain" (Not their best) 16. "Blew" (It was okay) 17. "Rape Me (early version)" (Five Stars! Also might be my favorite) 18. "Territorial Pissings" (intro from the song "Get Together", spoken by Krist Novoselic) (Great, very funny) 19. "Endless, Nameless" (A good song to end with) I did like their set list but I would have added "Come As You Are". The DVD doesn't have any good features other than the set list in the title page, and the concert itself. // 7

Production Quality: The quality was very impressive and I commend the cameramen and technical producers for a job very well done. There was a large screen that was set up behind the drummer Dave Grohl. It blazed many colors (mostly red) for their songs. The sound was clear, the camerawork flawless and I was thoroughly impressed. My only gripe was that sometimes the audience got in the way, but this added to the reality of the concert. // 8

Overall Impression: When you compare "Live At The Paramount" to any other albums or live performances, it stands up there with the best of them. I personally found the "Go Go" dancers and the stage divers amusing. The most impressive thing on this DVD was the concert (because the DVD didn't offer anything else). If this DVD were stolen or lost (I mean, why wouldn't you steal it?), I would definitely buy a new copy ASAP because that performance was irreplaceable. // 9

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Live at Reading 8.7 07/17/2013