Unplugged In New York Review

artist: nirvana date: 12/27/2007 category: dvd
nirvana: Unplugged In New York
Release Date: November 20, 2007
Mixed in surround sound by legendary surround mixing engineer Elliot Scheiner, this DVD allows fans to experience this performance like never before, completely unedited including the two songs not originally broadcasted and with the best sound ever available. For the purists, also included on this DVD is the original 44 min broadcast version of the show, plus never-before-seen rehearsal performances.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 9.5
 9.7
 9.8
 9.5
reviews (2) 48 comments vote for this dvd:
Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: Lgndkllr777, on november 21, 2007

Sound: Finally, after 14 years of waiting, fans can own the official copy of Nirvana's Unplugged concert. Although Nirvana is usually known for their hard, yet poppy, songs, full of feedback and sound effect solos, Nirvana takes a complete turn around with this acoustic based set. Songs like About A Girl, Dumb, and Come As You Are are featured. // 9

Content: The first thing I noticed (I dunno if it is just my DVD player) was that there was no menu. When I put the DVD in, the concert started right away. There are some special features, including the Original MTV Broadcasted Version (the DVD version is the full and uncut version of the show), an interview type deal with the band, and pre-show rehearsals of Polly, Plateau, Come As You Are, Pennyroyal Tea, and Man Who Sold The World; however they are hidden behind the actual DVD and you must skip through the show to get to them. One thing noticeable about this show is their set list. The ratio of covers to original songs is fairly close. Eight originals, 6 covers. // 10

Production Quality: If one compares the show quality to the original broadcast, they will realize one thing straight away; the sound quality. Before being released on DVD, the show was remixed into Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, recreating the show as if you were there. I was using a simple speaker setup on my desktop computer to watch this show, consisting of just two speakers and a subwoofer, and it sounded amazing! // 10

Overall Impression: While the songs on this are nothing new, it's the first time that this show was released on video, uncut, with no edits, which is something no bootleg could accomplish. Anyone who watched this after buying bootleg copies of the show off eBay would be kicking themselves right now, everything from the intimate moments with the band before each song to the rehearsals are all packed on one disc for only twenty bucks! I would definitely buy this again if it got stolen. I would say that this is 4x as good as the compact-disc by the same name. The videos made the unplugged show better. // 10

Unplugged In New York Reviewed by: 742627000017, on december 27, 2007

Sound: I'm a Nirvana fan for like 3 years or smth.As stupid this may sound I realy think I'm a "hardcore" fan. When I first heard about this DVD I thought "yay" and "urgh... another milking from the Nirvana name". But now I know that this is a real gift to the fans of Nirvana. Grunge band Nirvana which plays very rough and agresive does an acoustic set, which sounds amazing. The atmosphere is so intimate. It's so silent. You fell like you are there. // 10

Content: The DVD features absolutely uncut version of the concert (10/10), MTV broadcast version (don't see the point of it 7/10), the interview with MTV staff, audience members, Dave and Krist (no Kurt 10/10), and rehearself (100/10). I'm very satisfied with everything in this DVD. The uncut version lets you see very funny moments between songs. The interviews: you hear things that you never knew, interesting stuff. The rehearsel, no comments, you have to see it. // 10

Production Quality: The quality of the video is amazing. The sound is Dolby 5.1: you can hear every instrument and peep. The only thing that I'm disappointed is the subtitles. They aren't correct. For example you can clearly Dave sayng "what's next" but the subtitles say "well thanks". Then at some point the subtitles show only few words. // 9

Overall Impression: I compare this to Live Tonight Sold Out. Ok LTSO has more action but Unplugged is more calm and beautiful and I think that that's the way it should be. The most impresive thing is the uncut version. I have seen the gig at TV a few times but now I watch and I think wow MTV cuted a lot of great things. The only thing I hate is the quality of the subtitles. But you can just turn them off and there you go. I've got this for a christmas present and I absolutely love it. Don't worry this isnt just another milking of the name of Nirvana. // 10

More Nirvana reviews rating latest review
+ Live at Reading 8.7 07/17/2013