Pulse Review

artist: pink floyd date: 10/03/2006 category: dvd
pink floyd: Pulse
Release Date: July 11, 2006
This landmark DVD features the first ever film of Pink Floyd playing the band's seminal album, The Dark Side of the Moon, live in concert. The set documents the 1994 Division Bell tour and was filmed at London's Earls Court during a record-breaking 14-night residency. The two-disc release contains the full concert performance with rare backstage footage and previously unseen extras making the collection a must-have for Pink Floyd fans.
 Content: 9.3
 Production Quality: 9
 9.4
 9.2
 9.5
reviews (4) 28 comments vote for this dvd:
Pulse Reviewed by: sheumack111, on august 23, 2006

Sound: Pulse would have to rate as one of the most amazing DVD's ever released. It follows the Pink Floyd concert in 1994. The sound production is second to none in this DVD. This DVD has being years in the making, this is Pink Floyd playing at their best! Gilmour's tone is to die for especially in songs such as "One of these days" and "Comfortably Numb". The sound makes you feel like you were there in the concert watching. If only we were! // 10

Content: The content of this DVD is excellent, I bought it for $19.99 AUD, I would have paid a lot more. This DVD features many parts, like interviews with people such as "Billy Corgan" (Smashing Pumpkins) telling us their Pink Floyd stories. The main section of the DVD features the "Pulse" concert of 1994. It is spread over two disks, with a total of 4 hours running time. The acutal concert lasts for about 140mins. The tracks feature hits from many of the Pink Floyd albums aswell as the whole of "Dark Side of the Moon", possibly one of the greatest albums ever released. 100% satisfaction! It then ends with a three song encore performance including "Wish You Were Here" and "Comfortably Numb". // 10

Production Quality: The production quality in this DVD is absolutly second to none, as soon as you look at the DVD's case, you know that this is going to be great. The colours and cameras used in the production is great, it really engages you and makes you feel like you are there in the audience. The sound production is also exactly the same, in that it is excellent and will be never surpassed. All in all great! // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is possibly the greatest concert DVD ever released, everything about it is excellent especially considering that the concert was filmed 12 years ago. I love this DVD, it makes you feel as though you are there in the audience, I just wish I could have being in the audience! If this DVD was lost or stolen I would buy it no matter what the cost. It is worth every cent! // 10

Pulse Reviewed by: GrungePb, on august 24, 2006

Sound: The same great amazing sound live as on the albums. David Gilmour can still sing like he use too but even better! Great vocals, guitar parts, piano, drum and new bass parts. All the songs sound great expectially the guitar solos that will blow your mind. I image there would be some concern as too the absense of Roger Waters vocals but they do I fine a job with out them. I also understand you may be wondering about vocals for "The Great Gig In The Sky". They do a wonderful job of replicating the origional improved recordings heard on the album. // 10

Content: Incredible content. Lets take a look. Disc #1: 01. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (concert version) - damn good version at that. 02. Learning To Fly 03. High Hopes 04. Take It Back 05. Coming Back To Life 06. Sorrow 07. Keep Talking 08. Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) 09. One Of These Days Disc #2: 01. The Dark Side Of The Moon 02. Speak To Me 03. Breathe In The Air 04. On The Run 05. Time 06. The Great Gig In The Sky 07. Money 08. Us And Them 09. Any Color You Like 10. Brain Damage 11. Eclipse Encores: 01. Wish You Were Here 02. Comfortably Numb 03. Run Like Hell As you can see there's a lot of material on this DVD all great. There's all so bonus material from Stage Plans to Alternative versions. // 10

Production Quality: Really great quality. Many parts of the video where it looked as if you could pass through the tv set right to the show. Crystal clear looks great on a widescreen tv and I'm sure it does on a full screen. Menus all look fine and as for the actual video very clear and really great camera angles always showing you want you want to see. They do a good job giving you the feel of what it would have been like to be there. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is incredible and is something ever Pink Floyd fan should have aswell as anyone else who takes music half seriouse. Incredible performance, the music is amazing as is the light show they put on, the pigs and air plane flying then crashing into the stage. At par if not ABOVE my other music DVD (Led Zepplein [the 2 disc one])and if it was lost stolen or even just looking a little rough I would buy it agian. // 10

Pulse Reviewed by: pinkfloydian11, on august 29, 2006

Sound: Pulse took place in 1994 so it's somewhat up to date. The sound isn't that great but if you're a fan it's ok. The band plays ok together, Gary Wallis is a wailing nimrod who sucks at drums, that's right you're there to play drums not do gymnastics. Tim Renwick doesn't fit to well in the band but Guy, David, Rick, Jon, and Nick are good together. // 7

Content: The DVD features most of the songs on the CD and they skipped over some good ones like Astronomy Domine, What Do You Want From Me, Hey You and A Great Day For Freedom. They play a lot of stuff from The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse. The setlist starts with Shine On and they play stuff from DB and MLOR. Finally they go back to classics, after half an hour, like ABITW2, and One Of These Days. Then they play Dark Side. Greeeeeeeaaaaaaaat performance of DSOM. After they play it they encore with WYW, CN, and Run Like Hell.Features include HOF induction, screen films, and tour video. // 7

Production Quality: The lights are flat out amazing, they have the pigs, lasers, a rotaing disco ball, a crashing plane, and amazing screen films. It is an amazing visual that can't be beat. The production quality is pretty good but not great. Production quality isn't up to standards. // 8

Overall Impression: This is worth it's cost but it's not amazing. It barely compares to other floyd concerts that I've seen clips of. I love the visual and the setlist is alright, but it just doesn't hit me the way I thought it would. If it were stolen or lost I'd ask to get it for Christmas but I wouldn't buy it with my money. // 7

Pulse Reviewed by: loudfastramones, on october 03, 2006

Sound: I listend to Pink Floyd on the radio but I was mainly into punk at the time. It wasn't until I started becoming more of a Hippie that I decided to listen to "Trippy" music. I always liked "Comfortably Numb" and "Wish You Were Here" but it wasn't until I bought pulse that I really listened to Pink Floyd and appreciated their music. // 10

Content: Its a live concert With plenty of songs and features. The songs includes speak To Me, Breathe, On The Run, Tim, e The Great Gig In The Sky, Money, Us And Them, Any Colour You Like, Brain Damage, Eclipse, Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb, and Run Like Hell. It's also packed with special features. // 10

Production Quality: The only problem I had with the DVD is I actually can't get my first disc to play on regular DVD players only portable. I don't think it's a wide spread problem though. All DVDs come with little books that include pics and a DVD chart. They also come with a David Gilmour "On An Island" postcard. The box or case that it comes in is only ardboard so it's really easy to damage. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a big fan of David Gilmour so I loved the music on the dvd. All Pink Floyd shows had amazing laser shows but I'm sure the shows in the '70s were not even close to the mind blowing one in this DVD. I really would have liked if Roger waters was on bass but Guy Pratt did an awesome job on bass and vocals in "Run Like Hell". // 10

More Pink Floyd reviews rating latest review