Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out Review

artist: Police date: 01/08/2007 category: dvd
Police: Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out
Release Date: September 12, 2006
Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out, the directorial debut of five-time Grammy Award-winning composer and drummer Stewart Copeland, is a first-person account of The Police's ascent from obscurity to worldwide fame as well as an astute and sometimes hilarious commentary on the pop culture of the late '70s and early '80s. Culled from over 50 hours of Super 8 movies he shot during the acclaimed trio's heyday, the film offers an insider's perspective on touring, the other band members and the adoring fans that puts the audience in the drummer's seat.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 9
 8.8
 8.5
review (1) 6 comments vote for this dvd:
Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out Reviewed by: belavista man, on january 08, 2007

Sound: It breaks my heart to say that, if anything, the sound quality can only be described as poor. But, as with anything, the date that the footage in this film was filmed has to be taken into consideration. The footage in this documentary was filmed on two decent quality portable movie cameras in the late '70s and early '80s. Even with the poor, portable sound quality in mind, the quality of the footage from The Police playing their live sets isnt brilliant but can't exactly be described as bad. Some sound recordings of live bands on video cameras sound worse than awful but this one isn't too bad. If I could use one word to describe the quality of sound, it would be that it is decent, not good, but, at the same time, not bad. I would also like to say that I love some of the Police remixes on this documentary (such as 'I Can't I Can't' and 'Put Out The Red Light'). // 7

Content: This film is directed and filmed from a drummers point of veiw which gives the film a sense of reality and closeness to the band that most other documentaries and films just can't touch. The live footage is also unique as, instead of seeing the gig from the audiences veiw, you see the gig from the drummers place on the stage, which is something new to me and probobly most people who see 'Everyone Stares'. There is also extra footage on the special features menu of extra live gigs and of the footage that didn't make the final film. // 10

Production Quality: The Copelands have really spent time on this. Stewart has devoted a hell of a lot of his time to filming and producing this documentary (he started filming in 1978 and finished in 1984). The interactive menus and pretty good too, unlike some documentary menu's that you get these days. Everything seems thought about and carefully planned. I am also slightly embarresed to say that in the first week of getting it, I had watched it 3 times, night after night, that's how hooked it got me! If the production was bad, then I would have watched it once and put it back on the shelf. // 9

Overall Impression: Maybe I am slightly biast, but I love anything to do with The Police, and when this came out, I just had to have it. This documentary takes the veiwer to a place where a fan is restricted to go, behind the scenes. It takes you to the places that most people would litterally kill to get to, and quiet frankly so would I (although I might not go as far as killing). A must-have for any Police fanatic. // 10

More Police reviews rating latest review
+ Synchronicity Concert 8.7 04/25/2006