Off The Map Review

artist: red hot chili peppers date: 10/19/2004 category: dvd
red hot chili peppers: Off The Map
Released: December 18, 2001
Off the Map is the first concert home video since 1991 from one of rock's greatest live experiences, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It is also the band's first concert DVD--the only way to witness the funk-funk-rockmetal-rap musical orgy of one of today's most popular bands.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 4
 8.8
 8.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this dvd:
Off The Map Reviewed by: UtBDan, on october 19, 2004

Sound: The Red Hot Chili Peppers have one of the best and distinctive sounds out there. Hardcore funk rock mixed with mellow soft rock with a touch of punk thrown in? That only seems to describe the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love Flea's bass, I love John Frusciante's guitar, I love Chad Smith's drumming, and I love Anthony Kiedis' vocals. They're a great all around band, and this shows especially in live performances. Unlike the "Live At Slane Castle" DVD, this shows some of their early work done live, too; so you really get the best of everything here. // 10

Content: Off The Map's strong point is content. It's a live concert DVD, and the best of any RHCP DVD in my opinion - live or not. It doesn't have any work off By the way on it because it was released before By The Way, but put that aside and you have an overall magnificence. Me And My Friends, Skinny Sweaty Man, Blackeyed Blonde - you got your old songs. Under The Bridge, I Could Have Lied, Sir Psycho Sexy, Suck My Kiss, Give It Away and more - you got your BSSM songs. Californication, Right On Time, Around The World, Scar Tissue, and more - you got your Californication songs. You get one of John's best solo songs in "Usually Just A T-Shirt #3". It's got their cover songs and several inbetween song jam sessions. It's one of the better setlists out there. But content is more than just the setlist. It is also extras - and this thing has all you could ask for from a music DVD, really. Interviews and backstage footage. 5 points, through and through. // 10

Production Quality: This is where "Live At Slane" kicks "Off The Map"'s raw ass. The camera can get shaky in this DVD it's not the most stylish piece of production. It's very dark, so things aren't always clear. And I think it might've been recorded with an old school VHS camera. If it wasn't, than it certainly wasn't recorded with a high tech camera. Sometimes the view will get fuzzy and blurry. The sound is crystal clear (although the bass sometimes isn't primetime material), but the vision and camera work takes some getting used to. A sad piece of work on an otherwise perfect DVD. // 4

Overall Impression: I know I said "Live At Slane" was the best RHCP DVD out there in my review of that, but that was said in the point of time when I wasn't willing to adjust to Off The Map's below-average camera play. Now that I've gotten used to it, the power of the setlist, extras, and the ever standing RHCP live joke trademarks (with my new favorite mohawk joke), this is my favorite. If it was stolen, I'd buy it again. Better than Live At Slane? It's really whether your willing to put up with a below average video quality. If you can watch home videos without criticing your camera, this DVD is better than Slane. If you need something that uses Matrix effects and gives a clear view, buy Slane. My personal favorite is Off The Map, if only for the much much better setlist. // 10

More Red Hot Chili Peppers reviews rating latest review