Bridges To Babylon Tour '97-98 Review

9.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this dvd:
Bridges To Babylon Tour '97-98 Reviewed by: I am the Drake, on january 07, 2008

Sound: I've been asked more than once what decade do I think that The Rolling Stones sounded the best live. I would have to say the '90s. Now don't get this confused with what decade they made the best music in. When people ask me that, I say whenever Brian Jones left. So all of the '70s stuff is great. I'm not saying that the '60s were bad because The Stones had some great stuff in the '60s but I just think that their best years in the studio started in 1968. But anyway, back to their live sound. The '60s really didn't do it for me. They were really sloppy in the '70s. They were getting there in the '80s. The '90s were great. Now they still sound ok but just not as good. This DVD captures the Stones during their greatest live period. Very good performance from every member. // 9

Content: This a live concert DVD filmed in St. Louis, Missouri. The set list could be better and there are no special features at all. There are just extra previews that are considered special features so don't even bother with them. Below I've listed the songs on the DVD and some very brief details about each one. 01. Opening - just an intro. Nothing exciting. 02. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Keith plays a good solo on this one. 03. Let's Spend The Night Together - '60s classic. 04. Flip The Switch - worst song from the Bridges To Babylon album. 05. Gimme Shelter - very good. 06. Wild Horses with Dave Mathews - rather just have Mick. 07. Saint Of Me - pretty good one from Bridges To Babylon. 08. Out Of Control - great performance. 09. Waiting On A Friend with Joshua Redman - great version of this song. 10. Miss You - super extended version. Always fun. 11. Wanna Hold You - one of the best Keith Richards songs. 12. On The Bridge - band walking across a bridge to the second stage. 13. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll - awesome. 14. Like A Rolling Stone - tribute to Bob Dylan. Sweet harmonica solo. 15. Sympathy For The Devil - best live version I've heard them play. 16. Tumbling Dice - always good live. 17. Honky Tonk Women - one giant sing-a-long. 18. Start Me Up - the only good live version of this one I've heard. 19. Jumpin' Jack Flash - sounds heavier than usual. I like it! 20. You Can't Always Get What You Want - not my favorite. Sounds ok. 21. Brown Sugar - great closer. // 7

Production Quality: Well it was recorded ten years ago so the quality isn't going to be that great compared to something released today. I guess it's not bad though. It sounds pretty good. At some points during the show the picture will get a little fuzzy every now and them but it's not that noticeably. So it's all good. Any Stones fan would enjoy it. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, I think that this is the best live thing that the Stones have released as far as the way they sound. It's not as cool as Four Flicks or The Biggest Bang because this thing has no special features and they have a ton. The only real complaint that I have is that they could have made a better set list. But I won't complain too much because the set list they chose isn't that bad. They did play most of their big hits. They played them well too. I love the way Keith and Ronnie play together. Of course Ron is no Mick Taylor but his personality makes up for it. He contributes to the excitement of a Stones show. This one concert is full of that and if you like the Stones you'll love this. // 9

More Rolling Stones reviews rating latest review